How to explain to sender correct way to pack a turntable

BassKulcha

Cathode Follower
Subscriber
I just picked up a Rek-O-Kut B-12GH—any ideas on how to explain to the sender the best way to pack it so the vintage micropoise tonearm doesn't get shattered in transit? :( Sender says they will be having the unit "professionally packaged at a local shipping company"

I'm a newbie to ROKs (and shipping TTs in general...), but it seems like I have two choices:

1. If there's a simple way to remove the tonearm without disrupting the wiring too much, remove, protect with padding, then wrap the whole thing in palette wrap (and bubble wrap, foam, et. etc.) I'd love to get in one piece and easily re-assemble it on arrival...

2. OR Is there a way to insert some kind of foam padding underneath the tonearm and secure it? Or is that just asking for trouble?

First time shipping a TT, and I've already had bad experiences with poor packing...

Thanks for any insight!

Last edited:
Professionally paclaged at a local shipping company is good news. That should make the inevitable damage claim a slam dunk. Be sure you have insurance.

Professionally paclaged at a local shipping company is good news. That should make the inevitable damage claim a slam dunk. Be sure you have insurance.

:eek: Uh oh, are you saying that I should just *expect* damage? I'd really like to avoid that if at all possible...

Last edited:
I think he's saying that the average "professional shipping" provided by the UPS store or equivalent can leave much to be desired. ;-}

I wouldn't remove the arm ... remove the cartridge and weight and pack those outside the table (along with the platter - that should pop right off) and just tie the arm down well. Make sure any built in shipping screws are set properly, and one thing I also do is add some cardboard to the edges of the dust cover to protect the little pins in the corners. Tie the cables and pad those so they don't get crushed into the more sensitive bits of the case. Most important, it's about making sure the sides are solid so the package won't crush when there's a whole bunch of weight piled on top. That's almost inevitable at some point in shipping.

Here's a good write up on what's involved.

http://www.oaktreevintage.com/turntable_packing_for_safe_transit.htm

Oh. One possible advantage to having the shipper pack it up is, as mentioned, the insurance if it is damaged. Usually easier to collect on if they're the ones who screwed up, but hey, you're not doing this so you can file an insurance claim - you want the table to arrive in good shape. Which brings to mind another point - never ever use words like "classic", "vintage", "rare", etc. when describing the item - That can complicate things if you do need to file a claim, and in some cases trigger limits. Just insure it for replacement value and call it electronics.

The seller had my Marantz 6300 packed and shipped by Fedex. They wrapped the AT 15S cartridge and didnt put the stylus guard down, the stylus was bent from the bubble wrap pushing on it. They paid $179 for a NOS stylus i found on ebay.

I think he's saying that the average "professional shipping" provided by the UPS store or equivalent can leave much to be desired. ;-}

I wouldn't remove the arm ... remove the cartridge and weight and pack those outside the table (along with the platter - that should pop right off) and just tie the arm down well. Make sure any built in shipping screws are set properly, and one thing I also do is add some cardboard to the edges of the dust cover to protect the little pins in the corners. Tie the cables and pad those so they don't get crushed into the more sensitive bits of the case. Most important, it's about making sure the sides are solid so the package won't crush when there's a whole bunch of weight piled on top. That's almost inevitable at some point in shipping.

Here's a good write up on what's involved.

http://www.oaktreevintage.com/turntable_packing_for_safe_transit.htm

Oh. One possible advantage to having the shipper pack it up is, as mentioned, the insurance if it is damaged. Usually easier to collect on if they're the ones who screwed up, but hey, you're not doing this so you can file an insurance claim - you want the table to arrive in good shape. Which brings to mind another point - never ever use words like "classic", "vintage", "rare", etc. when describing the item - That can complicate things if you do need to file a claim, and in some cases trigger limits. Just insure it for replacement value and call it electronics.

Thanks for this info. I see now that it doesn't make sense to remove the tonearm. I think by removing the cart/weight and tying down the tonearm to the armrest, as you said, that'll go a ways toward securing it.

Are there set screws/shipping screws on a B-12GH? I'm trying to see where they might be from pics online, but as I'm not familiar with this TT, I don't really know where to look...

I'll discuss this with the sender tomorrow, and maybe point him to the oak tree vintage write-up or maybe even a you tube video if I can find a good one. Fingers crossed...

Thanks again for the help!
:beerchug:

The two most destructive pieces on a turntable are the heavy platter and tonearm counterweight. These must be removed if they are made to do so. Both simply become loose objects
being tossed around within the dust cover once they are jostled loose. I ask for the platter to be wrapped separate from the turntable on the bottom of the box with the turntable placed on top of it. There is no way to keep packages upright in shipping with any carrier unless it is strapped to a pallet.

I have had a counterweight break off the rear of a tonearm once and then trashed the Shure V cartridge as it rolled around inside.

Removing most tonearms isn't a task to be done by a novice, so I ask them to be tied to the arm lift or stand once the heavier pieces are taken out of the way.

Just checked the manual, and the table is apparently shipped bare from the factory sans plinth. That's where shipping screws would normally be located to tie down the suspension system , so not a problem on this one IF you buy it without a base. If it does have a base, might have to do some research to see what all it uses to secure the suspension.

Oh. Show em this pic to show what happens when you leave the weight on the arm ... it ain't usually pretty.

pioneer-pl15d-back.jpg

guess there wasnt a stylus guard and the bubble wrap was just put inside my memory is shit, but same result, professionally packed by Fedex :mad:

20160204_182436.jpg 20160204_182457.jpg 20160204_191132.jpg

it was my PL-530 that the cartridge was wrapped with the guard up. broke the stylus clean off a low hour original V15 lll :(:( had to settle for a shabita from LP Gear seller said he would take the table back or give me $100 as Fedex as pays up to $100 without needing to pick it up at look at it , the table was close to mint with original box and accessories so i took the cash.

20160522_175529.jpg 20160522_175600.jpg 20160522_191928.jpg

From my experience putting bubble wrap or anything else inside the dust cover is a no no, it shifts around

Ok, well here we go...

Turns out the "professional packing" is a just friend with some thick foam. Even with insurance, I'm guessing that the easy claim for damaged goods has pretty much gone out the window if something does happen...

Which, now, is more than likely, considering he pretty much disregarded most of the vital packing tips I sent him (even sent a numbered list with the most important items at the top...)

THANKFULLY, he *did* remove the platter, tonearm, and head shell, but ended up not wrapping the whole thing in bubble wrap (which I had asked for, in order to immobilize everything—). He placed the platter, wrapped in bubble wrap underneath the plinth. I have visions of that thing moving and causing havoc to all of the electronics and gears, now...:yikes:

He did use what looked like strong thick foam to sandwich between the plinth and the platter. Thankfully, he tied down the arm, but then placed the headshell and counterweight (wrapped in bubble wrap) loose next to it. That's likely to bounce around like popcorn in a cross-country trip...

Oh yeah, he also let me know that his "professional packer" bent the stylus during packing, so that's already dead in the water.

He didn't want to send it via UPS, so ended up agreeing to having it shipped USPS priority mail. Then he let me know that he ended up sending it FedEx because it was going to cost too much to send via USPS...

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that everything will work out, but I'm not too optimistic...:(

Last edited:
Ok, well here we go...

Turns out the "professional packing" is a just friend with some thick foam. Even with insurance, I'm guessing that the easy claim for damaged goods has pretty much gone out the window if something does happen...

Which, now, is more than likely, considering he pretty much disregarded most of the vital packing tips I sent him (even sent a numbered list with the most important items at the top...)

THANKFULLY, he *did* remove the platter, tonearm, and head shell, but ended up not wrapping anything in bubble wrap (which I had asked for, in order to immobilize everything—). He did use what looked like strong thick foam to sandwich between the plinth and the platter. Thankfully, he tied down the arm, but then placed the headshell and counterweight (wrapped in bubble wrap) loose next to it. That's likely to bounce around like popcorn in a cross-country trip...

Oh yeah, he also let me know that his "professional packer" bent the stylus during packing, so that's already dead in the water.

He didn't want to send it via UPS, so ended up agreeing to having it shipped USPS priority mail. Good solution?

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that everything will work out...

"Pays your money's and take your chances"

there are youtube videos on how to pack a turntable that you could have them watch.
I say this because it has worked for me.

Plenty other resources out there to take the guesswork out of doing it right.

** Trying to remember the last time I got into a sticky. Do you have to wash up afterwords? <G>

there are youtube videos on how to pack a turntable that you could have them watch.
I say this because it has worked for me.
I was going to do this, and even asked him to hold off shipping for a couple days. He ignored the request and shipped it anyway first thing this morning. Only so much you can do before coming across as a controlling d-bag o_O

But I'm still holding out hope...

Back
Top Bottom