How to fix Denon DCD-1520 cd player?

The Denon I have has a cheap laser in it, the KSS150A. I can get one for $25! The electronics appear to be the same as the KSS1520, cause the specs and features are identical. I think they saved a few bucks on the transport.

Hi,

I just got a Denon DCD-1650G which has the same Sony laser ( KSS150A ). I´m looking for a backup replacement, since I love thesound of this CDP. Could you please suggest me as to where to look for those laser models? Many thanks!

Hi,

I just got a Denon DCD-1650G which has the same Sony laser ( KSS150A ). I´m looking for a backup replacement, since I love thesound of this CDP. Could you please suggest me as to where to look for those laser models? Many thanks!

I just did a Google search on the laser model number and came up with several results.

I just did a Google search on the laser model number and came up with several results.

Thanks whoaru. I wish all the data that appears in Google would actually correspond to the real world. I've been through many situations in which I've found out that the announced products are no longer available, with time and efforts lost in the middle. For that reason I asked dr*audio for help, given that he knows of a real provider of that laser assembly.

All the best

Thanks whoaru. I wish all the data that appears in Google would actually correspond to the real world. I've been through many situations in which I've found out that the announced products are no longer available, with time and efforts lost in the middle. For that reason I asked dr*audio for help, given that he knows of a real provider of that laser assembly.

All the best

Well...considering his post was back in 2005, I figured a more proactive approach might be worth your while.

A good start would be these places.

There are two belts, long and skinny and short and fat. You need to replace both of them. Sometimes, you might want to clean the grooves of pulleys with qtip and alcohol or something.

You can go to www.pacparts.com or the part store you mentioned. Those are about $3-4 a piece.

Finally, clean off all the old lubricant and put a thin layer of white lithium grease. You need a little more than paper thin layer for a good layer of lubricant. You put too much and the drawer will no work very well.

The motor is usually good. I have owned more than 30 of DCD-1520 to DCD-3560 and never seen one with a bad drawer motor.

wsjoe

I had same type of issue, drawer wouldn't close without help and laser wouldn't pick up the information. I changed out both belts with oem replacement types, and cleaned drawer guides, rails et al, and then lightly greased guides, gears, and rails with proper grease. Unit works ok but after it tells how many tracks on cd it stops and wont play. You have to turn the unit off and then back on and then it's ok. If you change to a different cd you have to wait till after it dertermines the number of tracks and shut it off and then back on and it will play. You can't hit the play button because nothing happens until you shut it off and turn it back on and then you don't have to hit the play button, it comes on automatically. What's with that? any ideas? :tears:
Thanks,

Dan

Thank you for all of the information everyone! I replaced the long belt in my Denon 1520 and now the drawer opens, but slowly and not smoothly. It won't close all of the way without help. Reads and plays the CDs without problem. So, I think it is the smaller fat belt. Where is the smaller fat belt located as I didn't see it when I had the unit open?

But, now I have another problem. Replaced both belts, works like a charm. When I hooked it up it sounds amazing, simply amazing. But, the sound coming out of the "direct" RCA's was way to loud so I switched to use the "Line Output" RCAs and the selector switch is full of dust. Took it apart again, had to remove bottom and faceplate to get to it, hit it with some Deoxit, worked it into the switch, and put it back together. Once hooked up, I have that horrible "dust" in the signal sound with very little signal. I've worked that knob back and forth, didn't fix it. Went back to the "direct" RCA's only to find out that now they have the same problem. Kept working the knob and got it to stop but occasionally I still hear it in my right channel. It was sounding sooooo good, how do I fix this so that I can have my 1520 back?

A little background - I have not used my Denon 1520 since 1996 when the tray stopped working. Kept it in my rack and relatively free from dust. Too good of a CD player to get rid of and I knew I would get it to work one day. Forgot just how good it sounds. Was going to run it through a separate DAC but I like it as is (when there's no dust crackling in the signal). This is a great CD player. I wish I had purchased the wood side panels as it looks really sharp with those.

Denon DCD 1520 6.jpgdenon-dcd-1560.jpg

But, now I have another problem. Replaced both belts, works like a charm. When I hooked it up it sounds amazing, simply amazing. But, the sound coming out of the "direct" RCA's was way to loud so I switched to use the "Line Output" RCAs and the selector switch is full of dust. Took it apart again, had to remove bottom and faceplate to get to it, hit it with some Deoxit, worked it into the switch, and put it back together. Once hooked up, I have that horrible "dust" in the signal sound with very little signal. I've worked that knob back and forth, didn't fix it. Went back to the "direct" RCA's only to find out that now they have the same problem. Kept working the knob and got it to stop but occasionally I still hear it in my right channel. It was sounding sooooo good, how do I fix this so that I can have my 1520 back?

I take it you mean the fixed and variable RCA outs. Normally one would use the fixed out and use the volume control on your pre amp, integrated or receiver to control the level. What do you have the CDP connected to?

As for the pot noise, try cleaning it a few more times. If the noise goes away give it a shot of Pro Gold for good measure. If it doesn't go away, you need a new pot.

I take it you mean the fixed and variable RCA outs. Normally one would use the fixed out and use the volume control on your pre amp, integrated or receiver to control the level. What do you have the CDP connected to?

As for the pot noise, try cleaning it a few more times. If the noise goes away give it a shot of Pro Gold for good measure. If it doesn't go away, you need a new pot.

Thank you F1nut, I really appreciate it. Yes, the volume control on my receiver. But, I can only go two small clicks and it's too loud. That's why I wanted to use the "Line Output" on the player so that I could turn the output down on the player and that would allow me to turn the volume up on my receiver.

Thank you F1nut, I really appreciate it. Yes, the volume control on my receiver. But, I can only go two small clicks and it's too loud. That's why I wanted to use the "Line Output" on the player so that I could turn the output down on the player and that would allow me to turn the volume up on my receiver.

That's unusual. Are you using the Aux input?

Caig Pro Gold, same folks that make Deoxit.

Back
Top Bottom