How to get at pots on top of C28 to clean 'em?

N7SC

Is there any way to get good access to the attenuator pots on the top panel of the C28 so that I can spray them with DeOxit and the Caig pot lube stuff?

Have tried unscrewing the panel, and unfastening one of the two cable clamps under the panel, but it still won't come up or back very far. Hate to go spraying things around willy-nilly with run-off dripping on the other innards, or God Forbid (!!) getting overspray on the inside of the new faceplate.

Thanks

I lift the panel as much as possible, gently heat the tube and bend the tip of your spray tube to get better access, stuff paper towels under the pots to catch overspray and go for it.

Last edited:
Fortunately spray contact cleaner is sort of like a hand grenade... lots of times "close" is close enough! I am an opportunistic contact cleaner user... if I am thwarted I'll spray the stuff down the shaft if need be. The viscosity of the cleaners is very low, and their 'wetting ability' is good, so stuff runs and seeps more or less where it needs to be.

(OT but that's also one of the great things about WD-40 IME)

I would suggest that spraying it down the shaft and letting it seep to the control may not be a great idea. The shafts have a grease applied that give them that feel. Besides washing out the grease, it can deposit on the wafer and do some nasties. WD40 is okay in the engine compartment but I'd neve let it near any of my units.

No... NOT WD-40 for controls... that's why I prefaced that parenthetical comment about WD-40 with "OT" (off topic).

The lubricant in the pots is ALWAYS at risk when contacts are cleaned. That's why most (not all) contact cleaner products contain a lubricant, too. CAIG has separate cleaning and lubricating products (that'd be CAIKLEEN and CAILUBE) 'cause the pot's 'feel' is always at risk when cleaning.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom