How to get audio from new cable box?

SEF250

Hi folks.Have a new box without rca outs like old box.Hdmi goes to to tv.Av receiver is old,no hdmi.Cable box back has coaxial cable out,usb and a square hole with a 3 blocks symbol above it.So how do I send audio to my receiver? Thanks, Scott

A picture would be helpful. The three blocks is likely Ethernet. It should have an optical audio output somewhere.

various gizmos are available; here's an example:
https://www.parts-express.com/parts-express-hdmi-audio-extractor-with-toslink-and-lr-audio--180-995

Otherwise, assuming your receiver is happy to deal with digital data directly -- presumably, the USB can be used, or there should be, as implied above, a digital output (optical or coax). Of course, if it's a reasonably modern receiver, you should be able to hook the HDMI from the box directly to it (right?).

EDIT: If the back of your new box looks something like this:
MAG254.JPG

That little port marked "S/PDIF" in the picture (which may have a little plastic plug in it) will get you the data you seek (that's a TOSLINK optical connector).

S/PDIF = "Sony/Philips Digital InterFace" (the CD audio data interchange standard)

Last edited:
various gizmos are available; here's an example:
https://www.parts-express.com/parts-express-hdmi-audio-extractor-with-toslink-and-lr-audio--180-995

Otherwise, assuming your receiver is happy to deal with digital data directly -- presumably, the USB can be used, or there should be, as implied above, a digital output (optical or coax). Of course, if it's a reasonably modern receiver, you should be able to hook the HDMI from the box directly to it (right?).

EDIT: If the back of your new box looks something like this:
MAG254.JPG

That little port marked "S/PDIF" in the picture (which may have a little plastic plug in it) will get you the data you seek (that's a TOSLINK optical connector).

S/PDIF = "Sony/Philips Digital InterFace" (the CD audio data interchange standard)

thank you for replies. there is not an optical out only cable out .Will the cable out get me there somehow ,maybe an adapter?.

I looked at the back of tv and there is toslink audio out . I think that would work?Any toslink cable suggestions?

I looked at the back of tv and there is toslink audio out . I think that would work?Any toslink cable suggestions?

So you are going HDMI from cablebox to TV and then optical (toslink) to the AVR? Yes, that should work though you may have to play with settings on TV to make the output active and some TVs will not output 5.1 via optical. Get a cheap cable and try it.

I believe any optical cable that works is as good as any other since it is a digital signal. Should be dirt cheap since it is nearly obsolete...$5 on Amazon.

So you are going HDMI from cablebox to TV and then optical (toslink) to the AVR? Yes, that should work though you may have to play with settings on TV to make the output active and some TVs will not output 5.1 via optical. Get a cheap cable and try it.

I believe any optical cable that works is as good as any other since it is a digital signal. Should be dirt cheap since it is nearly obsolete...$5 on Amazon.
Thanks Don.What you described is what I planned on.Will get the cable and try.

If you have an old VCR . or can get one cheap at a thrift store you can try this method that I did for a friend and it works fine with an old Receiver.

Coax out from the cable box to the VCR, line out RCA from the VCR to the Home Theatre Receiver. to Aux or Tape input

Not the best way, but you could use the RCA jacks on your TV if available for stereo. Or you could by a reasonably priced DAC and use the S/pdif connection to the DAC and then the RCA outputs to the receiver.. Or you could bite the bullet and and find a newer receiver on closeout right now at Best Buy or Amazon..

Back
Top Bottom