How to get rid of smoke smell

BruenoB

Ok so I originally traded an old man for my beloved PS-X70 turntable.

He must have smoked inside the house because my poor turntable reeks of it every time I open the dust cover!!

I know to alot this wouldn't bother them. However, Im allergic to it (the "other" smoke is way worse FYI).

Anyway, my PS-X70 is about as nice as they come minus one small dent in the faceplate near the power button so I'd LOVE to figure out how to get rid of this horribly smell!!

It must be from inside it but it's been serviced and it was cleaned but not sure to what extent.

I considered a small thing of baking soda under the dust cover when not in use.

Any help would be great, it's driving me nuts.

Baking soda would just be covering up the problem. General de-smoking advice: Open it up, carefully wipe the surfaces with something gentle like Simple Green to physically remove the smoke residue. You may need q-tips, a toothbrush, etc, to get into the nooks and crannies where the stinkies hide. If Simple Green doesn't do the trick, try citrus degreaser used for auto parts and bicycles. Start with the least aggressive cleaner.

I would stay away from motors, belts, and moving parts.

Then let it sit outside for a few days. Make sure everythting is completely dry before firing it up.

Although it may not work for electronics, when I worked for an antique auto dealer, when we had cars that had a smell that was hard to get rid of, we would put about 6 charcoal briquettes in a small burlap bag and put it under the seat. The charcoal would absorb odors for quite some time, worked pretty well.

But smoking is another animal altogether. The smoke tends to stick to things and created a film that has to be removed. It's probably gotten inside the turntable, so only if your comfortable with it would I recommend opening it up and wiping off every surface you can get to with something. Use white towels (the paper shop rags sold in a roll or in a box are great) so you can see the brown film you're removing. But again, only if you're comfortable removing parts to get deeper into the unit.

EDIT! I see that you don't want to open it up, disregard the second paragraph ;)

Yea I was hoping when my tech went through and cleaned and lubed everything etc. I was hoping it would have gone away but it didn't. Ugh.

I really don't want to open it up. Guess I'll have to live with it.

cigarette nicotine cleans up really good with warm water and ammonia, wash it down. If it has wood follow up with some orange oil to refresh the wood.

Yea, don't want to open it up at all and certainly not leaving it outside!!

Don't worry about leaving it outside, obviously not in rain. Fresh air works wonders. Remember, the problem exists because it was exposed to smog.

Somebody is probably going to have to open it up to get rid of the stank.

In addition to the good advice above about cleaning up residue with ammonia and water and/or other gentle cleaners, I've had good experience following up with Febreze air freshener. It's very effective in neutralizer the remaining smoke smell.
---Gary

If it smells most with the dust cover up it may help to remove the dust cover and clean it thoroughly with "ammonia and water and/or other gentle cleaners" as mentioned above.

I have a vintage Marantz receiver that stunk up my basement sound room with smokey cigarette smell.

First I cleaned it with Simple Green. That made it clean but it was still smelly. I set it in a closed bag with crushed charcoal in it and that did nothing.

Finally I set it in spare room in a sunny window with cover off for a few weeks.

It does not smell anymore. Not sure it was time, or the sun, or both but it is ok now.

The bottom comes off quite easily ...

file.php

Take that off, as well as the dust cover, and prop the table up sideways outside on a sunny day. DO make sure you tie the arm down well. Turn it after a couple hours, repeat as needed. Before you do that, there's also quite a few metal surfaces you'd be able to wipe down with dryer sheets as well. You'll be surprised how much crud comes off sometimes.

I'd remove the platter and prop that up separate. You'll want to wipe down under there anyway. Pretty sure that just drop fits onto the spindle, but it'll probably fight you if it's been on there a while.

Twere me, I'd also hose the board down with flux cleaner, but that's me. Low pressure and careful with overspray. Finishes and some plastics can craze on contact. Your call on that.

Back
Top Bottom