how to make amp out of transformer

At the risk of sounding glib, yes it can be done, and you'll need everything except the transformer. :scratch2:

I'll double that!
:lmao: :lmao:

If serious, google up some DIY designs. Most include a schematic and parts listing. Try Nelson Pass. His designs are outstanding and so is the sound.

Most of Nelson's SS designs (if not all) are Class A, and that transformer is a long way from being appropriate.

There's a lot of other stuff out there. Head over to DIY Audio and ask around.

sansui8080 said:
Can anyone tell me if or how to make an amp out of a reciever transformer? Can it be done and what do I need? KIM

Absolutely! A receiver can be a monster & have the transformer/power supply to match or a wimp and anything in-between. That will really determine the type of amplifier you can build from its parts.

First you need to quantify the transformer you have (secondary VACs, rated channel wattage to give you a rough idea of total output power it will supply, etc.) then you need to qualify what type of amp you wish to build (power, # of channels, etc.) to see it if is compatible with the trans.

Many low-end receivers get stripped and they get reborn as the basis of a gainclone amplifier. That is a simple chip-based amplifier that is a terrific performer. Not a lot of power but wonderfully wrought. You seem at the beginning end of the scale. Not a bad thing but I'd pick a project commensurate with your abilities. Check the below link and get to the "Chip Amp" forum. Lots more info there.

DIY Audio

Back
Top Bottom