How to make the The Perfect Stereo System.....

Popcorn! I knew

George-Costanza-Popcorn.gif

George-Costanza-Popcorn.gif

Popcorn! I knew there was something that would make this thread perfect!

Shouldn't there be some percentage of the budget allocated for consumables? I mean that popcorn is alright for movies, but I wasn't rolling popcorn back in the day.

Start with a great room, add good gear and treat as needed.

Or in my case have an ok room with a bouncy floor that loves to pick up certain frequencies of bass, install pretty good gear, get confused trying to figure out REW, treat by ear which seems to kind of work, throw hands up and be happy enough.

Agree. The perfect system begins with the perfect space. I recently posited that the government should subsidize us rooms 29' x 17' with 11' ceilings. Not saying those are perfect dimensions, as it took me about ten seconds to extract them from my derriere, but at least they aren't multiples of one another.

Perfection being unobtainable (where is the perfect recording?), let's plan for approaching perfection by starting with the room. What should dimensions be? I envisioned a flat ceiling and a rectangular room just to be somewhat practical, but what dimensions and shapes do you suggest?

More than 50% of your budget should be invested in your loud speakers. 25% in the sources and and 25% in the amplification. Some times you can fudge those numbers choosing great pre-owned loudspeakers. I would stay away from LP's unless you are a dyed in the wool analog guy. Today some CD and dvd units contain great DACS, so you don't have to buy a separate unit.
I agree, except possibly with the amp percentage. I am a firm believer in big amps, even though I am using Klipsch Corner Horns. Many cheap CD players sound fine...cheap little amps don't.

Agree on amps. Buy the best you can afford. At the September Peekskill gathering, I made a really small pair of Pinnacle branded speakers sound much larger and fuller than they probably had a right to, because of the high current 67 pound integrated amp I drove them with.

Last edited:
With every different combination yields a different sound and perfection has nothing to do with it....

Back
Top Bottom