How to reduce turntable noise?

Blue 3 in 1, not RED. Blue is 20w Motor Oil. Red is Parrafin based and gums up easily.

91% Isopropyl is good if you dont have anhydrous. Too much Water in 70%.

It's kinda like changing a tire, but the parts are smaller.

And yes the idea is to rough up the edge so it has some bite to it.

thornev;

Yes you may use 3-In-1 oil for the bearing surface and shaft where the idler wheel is positioned. Lithium grease for the bearings of the turntable and the cycle gear surfaces Larry mentioned are one of the best things to use. There used to be GEC Phono-Lube grease that came in a tube like toothpaste does. However I don't think it is available any more and the Lithium grease is readily available from Lowe's, Home Depot and auto parts stores.

As Larry mentioned, there are perfectly good ceramic cartridges available now that track at low stylus pressures in the range ot 2-4 grams which matches the tracking forces of many magnetic cartridges. The ceramic cartridge's main advantage is that you do not need a preamp circuit to amplify the very low voltages that magnetic cartridges produce compared to ceramic cartridges, many of which can produce a 1V output level. Hum is virtually eliminated as a result.

Joe

Thorne, gun oil or mineral oil may be better, but 3 in 1 would be ok too. Don't get it on the rubber though. For refinishing the "tire", you want to remove any old, crusty glaze on it. You may be able to use 90% isopropyl alcohol & get good results . Barring that, fine abrasive may be in order. Don't get carried away, if you do, you'll have a too-fast platter speed. Less of a problem if it's on a variable -speed table. In the past, I've lightly sanded one as the tt motor turned it. You'll have no problem of over-sanding it this way, just vacuum out from the motor & guts any resulting residue. However, if it's old, dry-rotted & AFU,(like rock-hard), don't waste the time. Its gonna rumble & youll definitely hear it if you get it out-of-round. bin it-after you source a proper replacement.
De catman :)

Last edited:
Larry, dauphine-3 lug wheels, if I recall? Best way to fix one of those is to push it off a cliff!:jump:

Hey Cat - Good to hear from ya. Thanks everyone for the tips. I've made a list and will see what I can do. I'm pretty sure the previous owner did some work so I'll see. I'll report back. Thorne

Back
Top Bottom