How to remove Garrard Autoslim 33 1/3 spindle on Allegro?

thornev

How does one remove the spindle on the Garrard Autoslim turntable that comes with the Allegro? I know there's a clip at the base of the spindle and, when I remove it, the spindle comes out easily. But I'm hoping I don't have to do that, which requires removing the platter mat, every time I want to switch between manual and automatic play. I've tried pretty hard to pull out the spindle with the clip on and it just won't budge. The clip isn't going to survive removing and replacing it over and over. Is there any harm to removing the clip permanently?

I think you are not meant to remove the spindle. It operates in auto or manual mode with the spindle firmly anchored .

It should just pull out unless it is different from the AT6 or AT60. Those have a clip to keep the spindle from rattling and falling out, but its not meant to hold so much that a little tug won't release it. The AT6 and AT60 at least have a single play, multi play, and a 45 stacker that are meant to be swapped out. I've never worked specifically on an Autoslim but I know they are all very similar.

ok, looks like I was wrong. The instructions for an actual Autoslim say to thread the record over the spindle for manual operation, it doesn't say anything about removing the spindle. The service manual doesn't mention anything about removing it either, but it does say for the AT6 that it includes a short spindle for manual use.

https://www.vinylengine.com/library/garrard/autoslim.shtml

The instructions show an optional single play spindle but it mentions nothing about how to actually use the thing.

gadget... I wanted to download those documents at vinylengine, but I'm not into creating an account just to do one or two downloads. I think I have those documents anyway.

I've scoured the internet and of course there are conflicting opinions about how to and if one can remove the automatic spindle. But I know it can be done with the circlip (circular clip that holds the spindle and platter in place) removed. But then I've also read that if I remove the clip, there is nothing holding the spindles in place. I suppose I'll eventually try it and find out if that's a bad thing.

If you have the service manual, the operating instructions are in there. It just says to thread the record over the spindle to use it in manual mode, moving it horizontally to get it past the step. Its kind of a PITA, I've done it before. I don't have a single play spindle for my AT6, which is a big part of why I don't ever use that thing except in automatic.

Can you get a pic of the clip on yours? I'm just curious if its the same design as my AT6 and yours is sticky for some reason, or if its a different clip that just isn't meant to allow the spindle to come out.

If your spindle cannot rotate without the clip then it probably doesn't matter too much. If it spins I suspect it will jam up the changer mechanism since the tail is meant to only pull in one direction.

gadg... The spindle does not turn. I have been using the spindle in manual mode. It's easy to slide the record over the step. I have the 45RPM automatic spindle too but don't play multiple 45's (or 33's for that matter). I have a Pro-Ject turntable with a moving coil cart for really good sounds. But headphone listening on the Allegro with vinyl sounds unexpectedly amazing.

I'll get a picture of the circlip. I took it off once and it was very difficult so I suspect it was not meant to be removed.

Attachments

• 20180913_201118.jpg
    20180913_201118.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 20180913_201308.jpg
    20180913_201308.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 11
Pictures added above. I removed the circlip and installed the single-play spindle. It stays in when I close the turntable. We'll see how it plays. I'm sure it will be fine. I think the only risk is not having the clip to secure the spindle and maybe the platter.

I ordered one of these. So far it seems that Garrard intentionally made parts not interchangeable among different models, my Autoslim /P included (I think I do have the /P because I have the plug-in M6 shell and that's what the "/P" stands for. Also the Autoslim without the /P has a 1-piece tonearm with no plug-in capability.).
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Garrard-301-401-Spindle-Circlip/202282431429?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

It probably won't fit, but I thought I'd give it a try. In the meantime I have yet to try the manual spindle without the circlip.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom