How to remove hardened Lansaloy from JBL LE8 cone?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by absolve2525, Aug 30, 2016.

  1. absolve2525

    absolve2525 Super Member

    Messages:
    1,869
    I was able to remove the lansaloy from the woofer frame, but I'm having trouble getting it off the the cone itself. It's glued underneath the lip. Heat, alcohol, and acetone haven't worked. I read that MEK might work at dissolving the lansaloy? Usually foams are easy to get off, but this had been a pain! I ordered new foams from Rick Cobb. An alternative would be to the glue the new foams on top of the cone vs underneath. Thanks for the suggestions.
     

    Attached Files:

  2. Zonker92

    Zonker92 All shiny and chrome Subscriber

    Messages:
    6,582
    Location:
    Central CA
  3. absolve2525

    absolve2525 Super Member

    Messages:
    1,869
    Thanks for the link. I did read that thread. I didn't have much luck cutting the hard lansaloy from the cone without damaging the paper. I'll get some MEK and maybe that will work.
     
  4. Zonker92

    Zonker92 All shiny and chrome Subscriber

    Messages:
    6,582
    Location:
    Central CA
    I just kneaded and picked at it for a few hours with my fingers, while I watched TV.

    Er, the surround, I mean.
     
  5. absolve2525

    absolve2525 Super Member

    Messages:
    1,869
    Haha! Thanks for the suggestion. If I pick at it, the paper will tear off. I'm going to try MEK tomorrow. If it doesn't work, I may end up having to glue the surrounds to the front.
     
  6. j.sullivan

    j.sullivan New Member

    Messages:
    1
    I'm in this very spot on a set of LE8's. Did you ever find a good solution for cleaning the back of the cone?
     
  7. tubed

    tubed Lunatic Member

    Messages:
    11,485
    Location:
    Aztlan
    If the Lansaloy on the underside of the cone lip is clean and secure, I'd leave it be and glue up the new surround over it(and under the cone lip).
     
  8. KingBubba

    KingBubba "Too Much Stuff" Subscriber

    Messages:
    7,830
    Location:
    Brooksville, Fl.
    Lansalloy was the surrounds that were helped by the use of brake fluid, if I remember correctly. Too late now I guess. :dunno:
     
  9. RW Oliver

    RW Oliver Active Member

    Messages:
    160
    Location:
    Winnipeg,Manitoba
    If chemicals won't work,perhaps using a dremel tool with the sandpaper will work. Just keep a steady hand.
     
  10. absolve2525

    absolve2525 Super Member

    Messages:
    1,869
    I ended up gluing my surrounds to the front. It looked much better, covering the outer stains from attempting the brake fluid fix years ago. I was going to the do them from the rear, but the leftover lansaloy ring would just not come off. I didn't want to risk damaging the cone, so I left it after cutting out as much as I could. The spider is even, even with the surrounds glued on the front. Good luck!
     

Share This Page