How to Remove Klipsch KG4 woofer and how did I blow it?

cobascis

Simple question:

How did I blow my speaker? Or is it possible it has just worn out? I'm running a Sansui AU-7500 (35wpc) into a pair of Klipsch KG4. I usually have the subsonic filter on to combat turntable rumble, however I've been using it without lately on some music as the kick drum sound is totally different with it engaged. Anyway, the bottom woofer on one of the speakers just buzzes and makes a gurgling attempt at the music. It's not super noticeable overall with both going, but enough to bother me and easily identifiable when putting an ear to the speaker.

Should I just always have the subsonic filter engaged until I can eliminate rumble? Why did only one woofer die and no other did? When I push in on the speaker to move it, at the end of the trajectory it makes a scratching sound. It also stops buzzing when pressure is applied while playing music. This system is open to all my housemates, and I just got an aux cord, so I'm worried someone could have plugged in with the volume up--could that cause this damage?

I just ordered a used replacement from ebay. I undid the screws and removed the ring around the speaker rim... but it won't budge. I tried pushing it out from the back and it nothing happened. How do I get this thing out?!

a couple possibilities. The speaker is old. With age stuff happens.
The places I'd look first.
1- Check the Speaker surround, are there any tears? Did the glue let go? It may just need a refoaming.
2- Check the other end the voice coil might have let go of the cone.
3- the voice coil wire might be loose - least likely.

I've experienced all three.
For a 25yr old speaker, my suggestion is to replace the drivers with new ones. Crites probably has updated drivers. I would also suggest replacing them as a pair, a new driver may sound noticeably different from the old one.

Back
Top Bottom