How to remove the "C" ring, to remove the platter on a Dual 1019

If you have an extra set of hands available it makes it easier. Push the two ends outward, then get a pick, or something similar, tiny drillbit should be ok, an slip it between the spindle and the clip on the other side. That will allow you to either pull it off or work it out of the groove and walk off off the top.
I don't have a Dual to look at but use that method on other TT's.

Pull off the center spindle. It's just a friction fit.

Find a small flat head screw driver and locate the slot in the center post.

Locate the clip with it and pry up against the other side of the center post taking care NOT to damage the decorative brushed aluminum escutcheon.

Sometimes the open slot in the C clip aligns with the open slot in the center post. Just use the edge of the screw driver to slide it around so you can get hold of it.

Pull off the center spindle. It's just a friction fit.

Find a small flat head screw driver and locate the slot in the center post.

Locate the clip with it and pry up against the other side of the center post taking care NOT to damage the decorative brushed aluminum escutcheon.

Sometimes the open slot in the C clip aligns with the open slot in the center post. Just use the edge of the screw driver to slide it around so you can get hold of it.

I hate it when the clip rotates so that the slot lines up with the gap. It has fooled me for a few seconds into thinking there is no ring and the platter is stuck, but as you say is easy to remedy.

The little aluminum center ring in the mat is easy to bend so be careful with the screwdriver. A little hooked dental pick is good at getting under the clip without levering and is less likely to press against that little plate.

Last edited:
When I purchased my Dual 1219 on Bartertown, it came without a "c"clip. The seller said it wasn't necessary. Beings Monty is on the thread, do you feel that it is a necessary item? Or if @stereofisher could chime in that would be nice also.

Exactly.

Also, I try to avoid removing that aluminum plate because those rubber fingers are fragile.

I hate it when the clip rotates so that the slot lines up with the gap. It has fooled me for a few seconds into thinking there is no ring and the platter is stuck, but as you say is easy to remedy.

The little aluminum center ring in the mat is easy to bend so be careful with the screwdriver. A little hooked dental pick is good at getting under the clip with levering and is less likely to press against that little plate.

It's not necessary. Unless you, for whatever reason, like to turn your turntable upside down and have the platter stay on. I wouldn't recommend doing that anyway and don't know why you would. I rarely put the clip back on any of the Duals that use it.

It's not necessary. Unless you, for whatever reason, like to turn your turntable upside down and have the platter stay on. I wouldn't recommend doing that anyway and don't know why you would. I rarely put the clip back on any of the Duals that use it.

thanks Monty, was just curious if it was a link in the chain

That aluminum plate is often removed in blind attempts by unknowing users trying to figure out how to get the platter off.

But, other times, I've seen cat hair and gunk wrapped around the post under the plate. That's when it comes off, albeit gingerly.

Last edited:
My 1219, and 1229q clips are both missing, never has been an issue so far. In fact, I prefer it.

Those clips are a PIA! I take them off. Carefully as to not damage the brush aluminum piece on the platter. Toss them never to be seen again. Like Montycat says, unless you like to turn your turntable upside down.

Being of sound mind--still, I play it right side up. If I move it, I pull the platter. Monty, I love your Avatar!

Eric

Never worked on a Dual TT but.... recently I had more trouble putting a C-clip back on a lawn mower part than I had getting it off :dunno: :bs:

If you want to control its possible dash for freedom, get a clear plastic bag big enough to put the whole TT in, and work inside that. Drycleaning bag or clear leaf bag will do.

Chip

Another option is to slip in a some magnet wire (or maybe a strand or two out of a length of multi-stranded wire) and loop it under/around the clip, before attempting
to get it off - somewhat like this pic .

washer-necklace-tutorial-005-341x400.jpg

If you want to control its possible dash for freedom, get a clear plastic bag big enough to put the whole TT in, and work inside that. Drycleaning bag or clear leaf bag will do.

Chip

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom