How to remove this press-fit clips?

elnaldo

Lunatic Member
Hello. I need to disassemble a JBL MPA600 amplifier, and the boards are hold by this plastic clips. They have a screw-like head but I don't want to damage them, I'd like some advice from somebody who faced this kind of holders before.

Picts attached.

Thanks very much.

P1160152.JPG
P1160151.JPG

it looks like the plastic screw is meant to spread the plastic fastiner to keep it in place. can you get a small pair of needle nose to hold the fastiner with some pressure applied? you might be able to unscrew the plastic screw that way. if so you may be able to squeeze the fastener itself to remove it. i just had to do something similar today on my jeep. they were the push in type. removing the center post allowed the fastener to pull out.

Tried to unscrew gently but it didn't , at least without force. Just moved 1/4 turn.

I've seen something similar in computer mothetboards. The center pin blocks the board but it's not easy to pull it back. Tried to push from the bottom of the cabinet too but I didn't want to force it too much.

it looks like the plastic screw is meant to spread the plastic fastiner to keep it in place. can you get a small pair of needle nose to hold the fastiner with some pressure applied? you might be able to unscrew the plastic screw that way. if so you may be able to squeeze the fastener itself to remove it. i just had to do something similar today on my jeep. they were the push in type. removing the center post allowed the fastener to pull out.

Now I understand. You mean to do some pressure on the fastener against the center pin . I'll try that.

I think a 1/4 turn is all you need, then the "base" as well as the "screw" should pull back out of the holes (reverse the process to put them back).

Mark T. :music:

I'll try 1/4 turn, and pull with nose pliers or some other tool, or press the base when rotated. definitely looks like "releasable", and the central pin is spreading that spacer. What I don't know is if the pin should completely release or if it keeps in place just pressed a bit or rotated 1/4 turn. Perhaps it's a regular scew I need to completely unscrew...

Here are some spacers but none like this one:
http://www.fabian.com.mt/en/specialoffers/webshop/15314/pcb-screw-push-rivet-fastner.htm
https://www.isc-sl.com/pcb-supports/ISCCC
https://www.isc-sl.com/female-screw-pcb-post-with-releasable-clip/mscar/

SOLVED: It's 1/4 of a turn, and in that position you can press the base with nose pliers, and release the PCB. The screw stays in.

I don't like this "system" at all, now it's quite hard to put the PCB back in... Some of the fasteners stay "open" and it's not possible to press all of them, some are in the center of the PCB between large capacitors... Lubed them with silicone grease and it helps, but not 100% effective. If getting parts wouldn't be so hard down here, I'd replace all of them with real screws and spacers.

From the new part photo - it looks like the screw probably needs to be undone much more than 1/4 turn, certainly worth a try.

I don't like this "system" at all, now it's quite hard to put the PCB back in... Some of the fasteners stay "open" and it's not possible to press all of them, some are in the center of the PCB between large capacitors... Lubed them with silicone grease and it helps, but not 100% effective. If getting parts wouldn't be so hard down here, I'd replace all of them with real screws and spacers.

I deal with these all the time when trying to put cars back together. When they are new they poke in perfectly nice but when they are old it's a pain to try to get the splayed legs back through the holes without at least one of them getting hung up. I usually apply a heavy volley of cussing and that seems to help.
I actually just had to put similar things back into a C-80 preamp I was working on. Tiny versions of the ones that torment me at work. Cussing again seemed to help.

Back
Top Bottom