How to repair a bent cantilever stylus ?

ofery

Hello,

Just got my new Ortofon 2M Black cartridge.
When I removed the stylus's guard, I bent the cantilever stylus ... !
I paid more than $600 for that ...

Is there a way to repair it ?
I'm OK to send it to any lab that can fix that.

Regards /Ofer

Carefully bend it back.
A photo might help.
I find it really hard to bend a 2M stylus because it has plastics around the cantilever unlike most AT ones fully exposed.

Tweezers have allowed me to re-bend some that were pretty gnarly.

Sucks to the highest amount of suckitude, man. Good luck. Most of us have done it at least once.

Not a mistake you make twice...

Oh no? I did :nono:

Either way it depends on how it's bent. My DL-300 has a tube for the cantilever so when it bent it also twisted so the diamond is pointing slightly to the left...even after very carefully bending the cantilever back.

Last edited:
I can not bend it back, I tried.
Now my only option is to repair it.

Any idea who does such repair ?

Regards /Ofer

If you have home insurance it might cover it. Depending where you bought it from, the dealer might be feeling generous and replace your stylus for a new one for considerable discount. If the bend is not overly bad, you can probably just correct for it in the cartridge alignment/setup and use that one happily. Some photos might help ... also are you sure you bend it yourself? It might have been offset to begin with, not unheard of, especially if you bought it off the back of a shady black van in the alley, 10 past midnight.

A boron cantilever doesn't bend, they usually fracture. That is the cantilever material, of the 2M Black. A picture is really going to be necessary to see what has happened. Soundsmith, Expert Stylus, or Phono Cartridge Retipping Services can do the job, and they all report having boron cantilevers now. But the retipping costs aren't going to be cheap.

Regards
Mister Pig

A boron cantilever doesn't bend, they usually fracture. That is the cantilever material, of the 2M Black. A picture is really going to be necessary to see what has happened. Soundsmith, Expert Stylus, or Phono Cartridge Retipping Services can do the job, and they all report having boron cantilevers now. But the retipping costs aren't going to be cheap.

Regards
Mister Pig

Hi Pig
I don't think SS does Boron as they do the Ruby instead, personaly I would go to PHONO CARTRIDGE REPAIR SERVICES and get Boron again.

Last edited:
Hi Pig
I don't think SM does Boron as they do the Ruby instead, personaly I would go to PHONO CARTRIDGE REPAIR SERVICES and get Boron again.

Customers have reported that Soundsmith is offering boron for some jobs. I haven't had it done, but its reported to be an option. Also, Andy also uses The Needle Clinic as a company name.... with either retipping or repair services behind it. Either way, Andy is a good guy and does quality work.

Regards
Mister Pig

Last edited:
I can't understand why it can't be bent back. I have a few of those. Is it creased now or something? You might also break it off and epoxy it back on straight. Been there, done be that!

without me hijacking this thread, could you elaborate a little more about this option?

Hi Pig
I don't think SS does Boron as they do the Ruby instead, personaly I would go to PHONO CARTRIDGE REPAIR SERVICES and get Boron again.

Yes, I can confirm Soundsmith can do the boron as that's what they did for me. They did a great job but as someone said, it is pricey. My guess, boron, level 1, you're looking at $200-300 depending on the stylus you select.

I got an offer to rebuild my broken Ortofon 2M Black's Cantilever with a "Ruby Cantilever with Nude Contour Contact Line stylus" at $250.00.

I wonder if I will get a better sound with this Nude Contour Contact Line stylus or with the original 2M Black Shibata stylus ?
I also can rebuild with their optimized sylus.
How will this rebuild sound on 2M Black with SME 3012 arm & Thorens 124 ?

Regards /Ofer

Last edited:
I had a Quintet MC Black back from a customer who ripped the cantilever out setting up his VTA a couple of months back..... The returns letter was stained with tears......

FWIW, I had a Sumiko Talisman S retipped by Soundsmith with the mid-level Ruby cantilever & line contact diamond. At the same time I owned a Talisman B (boron) with line contact stylus. I couldn't hear any difference between the two.

Hey Fishead, got any pics of the Soundsmith boron retip?

Back
Top Bottom