How to repair electronic equipment

dr*audio

Fish fingers and custard!
This has been around for years, but some of you may not have seen it. Thought it would give you a chuckle:

HOW TO REPAIR ELECTRONIC EQUIPMENT

1. Approach the ailing instrument in a confident manner. This will give the instrument the mistaken idea that you know something. It will also impress anyone who happens to be looking, and if the instrument should suddenly start working you will be credited with its repair. Should this fail, proceed to step 2.

2. Wave the service manual at the instrument. This will make the instrument assume that you are at least familiar with the source of knowledge. Should this fail, proceed to step 3.

3. In a forceful manner, recite Ohm's Law to the instrument. (Caution:
BEFORE TAKING THIS STEP, REFER TO A HANDBOOK TO BE SURE OF YOUR KNOWLEDGE OF OHM'S LAW.) This will prove to the instrument that you do know something. This is a drastic step and should only be taken if the first two steps fail. If this step fails, proceed to step 4.

4. Jar the instrument slightly. This may take anything from a three to six foot drop, preferably on a concrete floor. However, you must be careful with this step because, while jarring in the approved method of repair, you must not mar the floor. Again, this is a very drastic step. If it should fail, proceed to step 5.

5. Brandish a large screwdriver in a menacing manner. This will frighten the instrument and demonstrates the deadly "SHORT CIRCUIT" technique. If this step fails, proceed to step 6.

6. Add a tube...even if the instrument is solid state. This will prove to the instrument that you are familiar with the design of the instrument. Also, this will increase your advantage and confuse the instrument. If this step fails, proceed to the most drastic and dangerous step of all, step 7. It is very seldom used and is the last resort if all else fails.

7. Think...!? Last resort if all else fails.

Warren,
That was too cool! How did that Marantz 4 chnl recvr turn out.(dropped off at barbeque). Did you get the other 2 chnls up and running?

Looking forward to another get-together soon. If springtime does not throw any surprises at me, would like to have my Edgarhorns set up and demo for the crowd.

Ron

What about the water immersion threat procedure? With the unit plugged in, dangle it over a large container of water (such as a bath tub). This often will scare the unit into working again.

Then of course there's the sledge hammer and blow torch methods too.....

Anthony

This sounds like the methods our illustrious Highway Dept uses dealing w/the occasional Snowfall: They have a picture of a huge snowplow,kinda like the ones at Idlewild Airport, which they unfurl, & run outside & show to the snow, hoping to make it vamoose. Usually, a nice 40 degree day takes care of things.-Sandy G.

spkrman57 said:
Warren,
That was too cool! How did that Marantz 4 chnl recvr turn out.(dropped off at barbeque). Did you get the other 2 chnls up and running?

Looking forward to another get-together soon. If springtime does not throw any surprises at me, would like to have my Edgarhorns set up and demo for the crowd.

Ron

I found some T066 transistors in my brother's old parts and I plan to fix the Marantz "someday".
A get together at your place would be way cool!

Back
Top Bottom