How to repair remote for RX-V557

Quadman2

Lunatic Member
Was wondering if anyone has ever had the chance to try to get the remote for the RX-V557 going.

The only function on the remote is the "Tuner" button, which glows when pressed. The rest of the buttons, even the off/on does not seem to light up. The remote does not talk to the receiver.

I've replaced all 4 batteries, and the ones taken out were pretty well charged up, and there was no evidence of leaking/rusted connections in the battery area.

So, was wondering if any have had this problem, and if not being able to deal with this issue myself, how one could obtain another if not being able to be fixed somehow.

This unit will be used solely as an audio application, so the video functions on the remote are really of no use.

Any suggestions?

Q

The remotes are usually slit open cases. Look it over in the batter compartment for any screws or recessed screws on the back cover just to be sure. Before attempting to split it apart.. Clean the silicone rubber touch pads area that contacts the circiut board .Also the touch pad contact points on the circuit board. Use isopropyl and q-tip.
Look the board over for any damage.

Last edited:
Take it apart, clean it real good with soapy water and rubbing alcohol, let dry, reassemble, put in new batteries.

Unless there's damage to the circuit board itself, it should be good to go.

Trust me, I have little kids, I have "fixed" a remote or ten over the course of the last 6 years. LOL. The worst part was fishing the darn thing out of the toilet.

I've seen some pretty sticky messes in remotes.Spilt coke a cola and who knows what ..Possibly Capt. Morgan.:dunno: I don't wanna know.:D
I worked part time for SEARS service department ( electronics ). While I was stationed in Florida.

Last edited:
Take it apart, clean it real good with soapy water and rubbing alcohol, let dry, reassemble, put in new batteries.

Unless there's damage to the circuit board itself, it should be good to go.

Trust me, I have little kids, I have "fixed" a remote or ten over the course of the last 6 years. LOL. The worst part was fishing the darn thing out of the toilet.
What he said. I am forever taking remotes apart and cleaning. Soap and water, alcohol, contact cleaner, I use them all. Wipe the printed circuit board down good, and clean each dot on the bottom of the rubber pushbutton pad.

Have done the initial clean of the surface of the remote. It was a little on the grungy side, least the sides of the buttons were slightly gumed up.

In relation to the "water/soap and alcohol", they are mixed together are they not? Have read that wooden floors have alcohol added to the wash water to aid in the drying of the cleaning solution.

Thanks to date for the suggestions/input to tackle this minor glitch in the operation of this newly acquired receiver and its controller.:thumbsup:

Q

Have done the initial clean of the surface of the remote. It was a little on the grungy side, least the sides of the buttons were slightly gumed up.

In relation to the "water/soap and alcohol", they are mixed together are they not? Have read that wooden floors have alcohol added to the wash water to aid in the drying of the cleaning solution.

Thanks to date for the suggestions/input to tackle this minor glitch in the operation of this newly acquired receiver and its controller.:thumbsup:

Q

I do soapy water with just a tiny bit of alcohol mixed in. Then after I rinse it off, I wipe it down with alcohol again. I doubt that last part is really necessary, honestly.

If you're in a hurry, you can use a hair dryer on high heat to dry it all out. It won't hurt the circuit board.

Well, pretty well got most of the buttons working with the aforementioned suggestions.

Only the "amp" button refuses to work, but at least I can turn on/shut off the receiver (with remote) which is in a pretty high position in the garage. Before it was a pain to reach up, and I'm fairly tall.

What a diff the swap out from a 70's lower ender ST Sony was going to the RX-577! The clarity is much greater, but it doesn't dig as deep in bass as the Sony did. I'm planning on adding a smaller active woofer to the mix, which will make the neighbours that much happier...but am pretty careful with the volume. Got older neighbours for the most part, eh?

Again, thanks for the AK help. :thumbsup:

That's what this site is all about! Sharing A/V knowledge/experience.

Q

Was wondering if anyone has ever had the chance to try to get the remote for the RX-V557 going.

The only function on the remote is the "Tuner" button, which glows when pressed. The rest of the buttons, even the off/on does not seem to light up. The remote does not talk to the receiver.

I've replaced all 4 batteries, and the ones taken out were pretty well charged up, and there was no evidence of leaking/rusted connections in the battery area.

So, was wondering if any have had this problem, and if not being able to deal with this issue myself, how one could obtain another if not being able to be fixed somehow.

This unit will be used solely as an audio application, so the video functions on the remote are really of no use.

Any suggestions?

Q
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/fixed-yamaha-rx-v757-volume-buttons.836692/

Back
Top Bottom