How to replace filter cap with 3 leads?

z-adamson

Addicted Member
The third lead is not a stabilizer dummy lead.

I believe these are two caps in one can and that it is done this way to save space.

The challenge is that the caps are soldered to a board. That said, are these replaceable? Would replacing them entail modification of the board?

Let's see a picture of it. Schematic?
Also the value of the dual cap. Sometimes changes were made that aren't in the service manual or schematic. I have been able to find a few modern replacements. But usually you have to use two seperate caps. Some people make a small mounting plate for the new caps. One amp I had had extra holes in the chassis to mount both new caps using cap clamps. But if they are mounted on a PCB you may have to mount them off board. If they aren't the big main filter caps you might be able to find those long pencil caps to fit the space on the board. Pictures will definitely help.

Also the value of the dual cap. Sometimes changes were made that aren't in the service manual or schematic. I have been able to find a few modern replacements. But usually you have to use two seperate caps. Some people make a small mounting plate for the new caps. One amp I had had extra holes in the chassis to mount both new caps using cap clamps. But if they are mounted on a PCB you may have to mount them off board. If they aren't the big main filter caps you might be able to find those long pencil caps to fit the space on the board. Pictures will definitely help.
Yes, main filter caps.....12000uf.

This amp is so crowded I dont see mounting them off of the board as viable unless you are talking about remote mounting them in a separate chassis. Not worth it though.

You might very easily find 2 12,000uf caps that would fit in the original canister. Splice the two negatives and mount it however you can in the space provided. You could even use Hot glue to hold the canister in place.

If I'm not mistaken - a 12,000uf 80 volt capacitor would be about the size of a Pepsi can (like in a Marantz 1200) It doesn't seem likely that there would be 2 of those in the same can - Chris

If I'm not mistaken - a 12,000uf 80 volt capacitor would be about the size of a Pepsi can (like in a Marantz 1200) It doesn't seem likely that there would be 2 of those in the same can - Chris
Pretty sure its 2 6000uf caps in a single canister.

does it look same as this one ?
zaq_enl.jpg

i couldn't find a pic of solder side or of the caps themselves . i also couldn't find a free manual ..
tell us where the board traces go to from the 3 connections of one of those caps . ?

Back
Top Bottom