How to safely pack and ship used McIntosh

I figure just spend the 50 or $75, take Ron's advice, pack it in a Mc box, and lower your stress level down to 0 because you won't have to worry about broken glass.

I did it and I don't regret it! Especially after I saw how beat up the box looked after a 6,000 mile round trip with an 80 pound amp in it! I lent the box I used to ship my C30 to a friend who was shipping his pre amp to Audio Classics, It came back in a brand new Audio Classics box, I wonder if that box made the ultimate sacrifice for that C28.

Which brings up a question that I've been meaning to pose to the AK forum: How many times can I use a McIntosh box before it needs to be retired due to wear?

I have a box which has been used to send an MC2200 and an MC2120 to Terry, it looks fine other than a few flattened corners, a small gouge, and the mounting screws bent. I replaced the screws but how much longer can I keep using this box? I have a second 2200 I want to send to Terry.

Removing the Glass plate is no solution either. I ordered a new face plate for my C-29 and it came from the factory broken in half, which didn't make the factory happy. When the second one came in broken I told them to for get it and had Frank ship me one from Audio Classics. I know it was a fluke, but I had had enough. The Boxes Audio Classics uses have twice the penetration rating the of the factory. I was told!

I've bought and sold dozens of different McIntosh units over the years. Even in new factory double boxes, I've had broken glass (only a couple of times). You never know how badly the shippers will treat your box.

For added protection, I put the factory double box inside another bigger box filled with popcorn. This increases shipping costs (larger size and cost of box), but it's worth not having the headache later.

Is there a big difference between the Audio Classic's carton and ones straight from McIntosh?

Also, could one use a MC2505 carton for a 2125?

Is there a big difference between the Audio Classic's carton and ones straight from McIntosh?

Also, could one use a MC2505 carton for a 2125?

I don't think there's any difference between the packaging from Audio Classics or McIntosh - except perhaps Mc might be slightly more expensive.

MC2125 is 14.5" deep; MC2505 is 13". Good chance it might work - there's usually ample clearance in these boxes.

Most important when shipping heavy amplifiers is that the unit is bolted to the plywood skid plate. This ensures the unit will remain centered within the packaging, thus preventing any horizontal movement which so often results in glass being smashed and/or other damage depending on how it is mishandled, dropped etc.

Do NOT attempt to ship an amplifier without being bolted down to the plate.

I don't think there's any difference between the packaging from Audio Classics or McIntosh - except perhaps Mc might be slightly more expensive.

MC2125 is 14.5" deep; MC2505 is 13". Good chance it might work - there's usually ample clearance in these boxes.

Most important when shipping heavy amplifiers is that the unit is bolted to the plywood skid plate. This ensures the unit will remain centered within the packaging, thus preventing any horizontal movement which so often results in glass being smashed and/or other damage depending on how it is mishandled, dropped etc.

Do NOT attempt to ship an amplifier without being bolted down to the plate.

Thanks 62caddy, I think i have made my decision.

I've inquired with both companies and McIntosh carton is actually almost half the price of the Audio Classics. both prices incl. shipping.

This thread is old, but the price in the OP is about the same I got today from McIntosh. $55 Shipped.

I just bought 3 cartons from McIntosh for a total of $180 shipped. $55 for an MR74, $55 for a C34V, and $70 for an MC7270. In my opinion, that's a bargain.

I bought a factory box for an MX113 I owned. It went round trip to Terry Dewick via FedEx and then to the final buyer in St. Louis via FedEx in perfect condition. Well worth the $75.

My first Mac purchase was an MC2200, which doesn't even have a glass face. The anodized aluminum face was destroyed in shipping and I had to make a custom face plate for it. My second purchase was a C29, which was shipped in its walnut cabinet. Of course, the face plate was destroyed and the cabinet needed to be glued back together.

I stopped buying anything without its original boxes, unless it's a local sale where I can pick it up myself.

The only other way to ship any glass-faced unit safely (IMHO) is to remove the glass and pack separately. That's how I sold my C29 and it arrived with no issues at all. Granted, I did have access to an Insta-Pak foam packaging machine.
Removing the glass panel on a tuner is a no win situation as the inner glass, dial string and pointer light are then exposed.

Broken glass netted me a free MR78. But I knew how to handle the situation.
Oh you simply must explain your technique, LOL.

I recently went through hell trying to get reimbursement for glass replacement on an MCD7008. I purchased this beautiful CD player out of state and even though I went through the effort & expense to prepay & ship a factory Mac carton for shipment, FedEx managed to drop the box and crack the glass. From that point, it seemed that every step in the recovery process was an exercise in patience designed to discourage one from pursuing a claim. It wasn't until I sent pictures of my factory carton did the 3rd person I had to deal with finally agree to pay the claim. Nerve wracking to say the least.

Oh you simply must explain your technique, LOL.

I recently went through hell trying to get reimbursement for glass replacement on an MCD7008. I purchased this beautiful CD player out of state and even though I went through the effort & expense to prepay & ship a factory Mac carton for shipment, FedEx managed to drop the box and crack the glass. From that point, it seemed that every step in the recovery process was an exercise in patience designed to discourage one from pursuing a claim. It wasn't until I sent pictures of my factory carton did the 3rd person I had to deal with finally agree to pay the claim. Nerve wracking to say the least.
Having been through similar experiences in the past, my answer will be a welcome one. You have to be very clear with the shipper in regards to your expectations of them solving your problem in a timely and expedient fashion. That means, you'll be receiving a check for the incompetence and you're interested in moving on with your life as soon as possible. Every time I met a claims adjuster, I never allowed their processes to get in the way. Rather, I advised them of acceptable courses of action that would resolve the problem to my satisfaction. Try it - you may be quite surprised at the outcome.

Having been through similar experiences in the past, my answer will be a welcome one. You have to be very clear with the shipper in regards to your expectations of them solving your problem in a timely and expedient fashion. That means, you'll be receiving a check for the incompetence and you're interested in moving on with your life as soon as possible. Every time I met a claims adjuster, I never allowed their processes to get in the way. Rather, I advised them of acceptable courses of action that would resolve the problem to my satisfaction. Try it - you may be quite surprised at the outcome.

^^^ This ^^^ Don't let their policies and procedures blind you to the fact that THEY broke your property and THEY are responsible for making it right.

they're pretty dead on when they say a week. I ordered my MR77 box, came last week. Ordered my 2105 box last week, it'll arrive tomorrow. $55 for the MR77, $70 for the 2105 - wonder if the higher price on the amp box is due to it including a wood base or just a stronger box. We'll see tomorrow. I shipped out my MR77 tuner last week, arrived in perfect condition my buyer said. If you want some added protection, I happen to have 4 large boxes in my garage that were used to ship new rims for my Audi, 20 inch diameter, and it was a perfect fit for an outer box to put my mcintosh box set into - so triple boxed! that's how I sent the c28 out yesterday since I had the original box but it was getting a little long in the tooth.

Back
Top Bottom