How to safely pack and ship used McIntosh

Nothing better than a factory shipping carton.

But, lacking that or if they are not available I would not go to bubble wrap unless you use heavy duty industrial stuff and a LOT of it.

Styrofoam peanuts are only good to fill between inner and outer boxes and you need at least 2-3 inches on ALL sides and packed tightly.

At one job, they ship expensive heavy test equipment. The boxes are sturdy, double layer cardboard. Lowes sells the heavy duty boxes for a few bucks.

Pelican cases get used a lot but are spendy.

Soft styrofoam sheet used for insulation is good as a cushion material to absorb impact.

Hard styrofoam like in medical or sushi coolers is good for corner bracing and protection,

Expanding foam packing is used a lot on heavy test gear and works great on heavy stereo gear. Access to that equipment is difficult. DO NOT get any of that goo on anything you like.

The expanded plastic stuff I call polystyrene is my favorite. Easy and clean to cut. I salvaged a lot at work. There is black stuff used in computer shipping and the white stuff used a lot in other electronics shipping. Outside of access to industry that is tossing it, you can get pool noodles fairly cheap. I’ve seen them at $1 stores for $1.

Pool noodles are great to cut length wise to make corner protectors. A layer of noodles side by side is a tough cushioning bed that can take a drop. Put a layer on every side, like between inner and outer boxes and your golden.

Foam rubber is another great packing material. It’s heavy but great for glass sides. I scavenge that out of old furniture. Big couch cushions produce nice large blocks.

I scored a long straight prime rib roast knife at a thrift store in Vegas. Best damn foam rubber cutting tool ever. Hot wires work great on styrofoam to avoid a mess. I made some from old tube gear transformers. The 6V heater winding works great. I happen to have some thin stainless steel wire so I didn’t need to get the actual heating element type wire yet.

I ship a lot and developed a lot of tricks.
On my to-do list is to post a thread about how to.

I will probably be selling my MC-402 as I just purchased an MC-452. I do have the original Mac box. My question is what is the best way to secure
the outside box. Is there an easy way to do strapping? Is strapping the box to a pallet necessary or suggested? Thanks for any insights

Just as a quick follow up...I ended up calling McIntosh service dept. They recommended banding the box to a half pallet to avoid the shipper
rolling to box over.

I shipped my MC7270 from Manila to California via DHL, 90lbs

I used the original Mc double box.

Outer box was a bit water damaged over the years but the internal box and corner foams was in good shape.

The box arrived sideways... But... Zero damage.

The overall box design and many details are key

As previously mentioned. Feet are a must. So is the wood base with the 3 screws and the top chassis cardboard oriented correctly to protect the glass.

McIntosh designed the box right.

Attachments

• 20201112_072426.jpg
    20201112_072426.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 29
  • 20201111_031910.jpg
    20201111_031910.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Going to be moving also my mc402 no box for it the guy I bought it off said it came in a wood case? From the factory any thoughts it has not moved in years I am petrified to move it

Going to be moving also my mc402 no box for it the guy I bought it off said it came in a wood case? From the factory any thoughts it has not moved in years I am petrified to move it

if you are just moving but not shipping it, I've done it just by putting it in my trunk, with blankets and towels are around it, and driving carefully. Otherwise, best bet is to order a box set from McIntosh - it will be more expensive than the usual box sets due to the size and all of the cushioning that comes from the factory. Crazy amount of foam inserts etc. but worth it for piece of mind if you're driving far

If it's in a wood cabinet, remove it from the cabinet first. Two reasons:

The wood cabinet adds weight
The amp can slide out of the wood cabinet if tilted

Back
Top Bottom