How to send a ebay seller a downpayment?

TrexT

Has anyone done a split credit card/cash transaction on ebay? The seller wants a $100 downpayment on credit card and the rest cash upon pickup of the items. Is this possible?

Yep.

The thing that gets me is that no where in the payment option section of his auction page does it say that a down payment must be received prior to closing the cash deal. He waited for the last possible moment to insist on a down payment. Thats weird isn't it?

Another question I have. How do you document cash deals from Ebay sellers?

I thought it looked fishy when you first posted, now that you posted more odd behavior from the seller I would be very cautious. If it wasn't part of the original terms of sale I would certainly mention that to the seller.

dew

TrexT said:
Has anyone done a split credit card/cash transaction on ebay? The seller wants a $100 downpayment on credit card and the rest cash upon pickup of the items. Is this possible?

Absolutly possible. . .The seller will send you an invoice to pay from. . .Consider it a deposit that goes towards the price. All he is trying to do is protect his intrest and be sure it stays sold. Most eBayer's demand full payment imediatly at auction close (I do) not at pickup or delivery but at the end of the auction. . .

Just because he does this does not make him crooked. . .He might be a crook anyway. . .

gyusher said:
Most eBayer's demand full payment imediatly at auction close (I do) not at pickup or delivery but at the end of the auction. . .

Not sure what you mean by "immediately".
MOST eBayer's require payment within 7 to 10 days. :D

Jeff

If you are picking up, a downpayment is not unreasonable, especially if it is a small percentage of the total. It could be that the guy needs the paypal to purchase another item and he is short or he wants to cover gas costs in case you do not show. I don't like that he wants your credit card number, that is a red flag.

I do not like to change terms unless the bidder has contacted me first and agreed to the changes. You should be wary because he changed terms on you.

Blue Meanie said:
Not sure what you mean by "immediately".
MOST eBayer's require payment within 7 to 10 days. :D

Jeff

I want payment in 24 hours. . I have never had to ask and I have never had to wait over a few minutes in over 400 auctions. . .One good thing about PayPal. . .I also pay immediately as well. . .Always. . .

I mean it is an auction and it is customary to pay at the auction close. . .

gyusher said:
I want payment in 24 hours. . I have never had to ask and I have never had to wait over a few minutes in over 400 auctions. . .One good thing about PayPal. . .I also pay immediately as well. . .Always. . .

I mean it is an auction and it is customary to pay at the auction close. . .

Strikes me as being a bit difficult. What IS your rush? Can I expect shipment of an item within 24 hours? Yes, it is an auction. But it is an eBay auction. It IS customary for folks to be a little more flexible on eBay, and not so hard-assed.

Jeff

Last edited:
HARD-ASS / Good BUSINESS

Blue Meanie said:
Strikes me as being a bit difficult. What IS your rush? Can I expect shipment of an item within 24 hours? Yes, it is an auction. But it is an eBay auction. It IS customary for folks to be a little more flexible on eBay, and not so hard-assed.

Jeff

Like I said I have never had to ask and I have never had to wait any longer than about 10 minutes. . . I would work with a buyer if they wanted to pay later but they better contact me before they bid and ask first. . .

It is customary to pay immediately at the end of any auction, why should eBay be any different. I do not bid if I cant afford to pay ASAP and I expect the same treatment from my buyers.

I do not always ship within 24 hours either. . .I do however state plainly that the item will be shipped within 5 business days from the time I receive the money. This covers me if I need some unusual packing materials etc. That said I usually ship either the same day or the day after. . .

When you go to WalMart or Circuit City do you pay when you leave or do you ask them for 7 to 10 days?? No difference in my mind.

But like I said so far I have not had to enforce the rules as 100% of the people who bought from me paid within minutes as I also pay within minutes.

I would never ask anyone to wait but that's just me I guess. Check out how many BINs ask for immediate payment. . .

This method works for me just fine. So far I'm 100% positive. . . Plus I do state it clearly and up front so those who need more time can go somewhere else. All I ask is to be contacted immediately and arrange for payment. So far that has not been an issue, not once in over 4 years. . .

Let me ship an item a little late or give the buyer something that is not exactly like it is described or better then see who the hard-ass is. . .

Obviously, if things aren't done to gyusher's strict rules, everybody else must be wrong or unreasonable. Not that it matters to you or me, but I"ll be taking my business elsewhere...

Jeff

Blue Meanie said:
Obviously, if things aren't done to gyusher's strict rules, everybody else must be wrong or unreasonable. Not that it matters to you or me, but I"ll be taking my business elsewhere...

Jeff

Who has wax in their ears now???

Lets get back on topic. . .Not everyone is intrested in how you or I do business. . .

Last edited:
dew042 said:
I thought it looked fishy when you first posted, now that you posted more odd behavior from the seller I would be very cautious. If it wasn't part of the original terms of sale I would certainly mention that to the seller.

dew

Sounds like good advice. I must have sent him 3 seperate emails that I was intending on paying cash and at the last minute he says he wants a down payment through Paypal. Never got a reply, till he gave me a second chance offer. It wasen't in the terms of sale so why should I?

TrexT said:
Sounds like good advice. I must have sent him 3 seperate emails that I was intending on paying cash and at the last minute he says he wants a down payment through Paypal. Never got a reply, till he gave me a second chance offer. It wasen't in the terms of sale so why should I?

If he knew you were going to pay cash at the time you picked them up then tell him thats all you are prepared to do. Make it clear that you realize that you bought it but that you are able to pay cash only at pickup. Then go get them. . .

TrexT I have a LOT of experiance on ebay with over 1100 auctions buying or selling so I may be of some help.

A few questions

Were you the high bidder on the item in question? (you mention a second chance offer is why I ask)

How much is the final Bid for this item how much money are we talking about?

How long before you physically pick up this item? (base this from the time the auction closed)

What is this guys Feedback like? has he done a lot of auctions or is he a newbie?

Would it be possible to see the auction page for the item in question?

Glad to offer help but I need more info.

TrexT I went back and found your origional post on this suject and then looked at the auction.

THE AUCTION DID NOT REACH THE RESERVE you have no responsablity to complete this sale if you do even if he sent you a second chance offer through ebay your bid is NOT binding.

I know you are excited about getting the setup BUT for the amount of money involved I would ONLY pay if you are able to do so in person. And for the full amount.

and personally I would walk away completely he can't leave you any feedback and your no bound to pay him a thing.

I was the high bidder on the first auction but reserve was not met. He relisted and someone else was the high bidder with reserve not met.

My high bid was for $750.00. So thats what he offered it to me for yesterday. I have 3 more days before the BIN for $750 ends. The auction was over a week ago.

I told him I'd pick it up mid week Wednesday.

0 feedback

BTW I emailed him and told him I was no longer interested in his second chance offer. Could be a mistake but it's better than the possible outcome.

Last edited:
One thing I have learned buying and selling so much on ebay over the last 6 years. EVERYTHING comes around again if you wait. Sure this might have been a great deal but why risk getting screwed over it. I think you made a good safe choice.

gyusher said:
Who has wax in their ears now???

Lets get back on topic. . .Not everyone is intrested in how you or I do business. . .

Fair enough. Sorry for coming across so harshly. We are both entitled to our own methods/opinions. :D

Jeff

Back
Top Bottom