How to Ship a turntable safely

Roberttx,
I recently did ship a compact turntable in much the way you advocated.
It arrived successfully. This particular TT was smaller than normal and the top couldnt be removed, the first I've sold like that.
Glad it worked out. This is an excellent guide.

Hmmm...I wonder if that method (suitably modified) would work well for tube gear?

I've shipped a couple of console pulls like that. Remove, wrap and box the tubes then your vertical support is found in several places:
1: 1" sheets of Styrofoam cut to sit on the flanges of the chassis,
2: Styrofoam on the top of the power transformer,
3: Big block(s) of Styrofoam in the voids created by removing the tubes (assuming the sockets are flush) and/or any other flush voids you can find.

The boxed tubes go into whatever voids are left, cut more styrofoam to surround the whole thing (with voids to protect any knobs etc as you would with any receiver or amp, wrap the whole thing in cling film and box / double box as appropriate.

I should also add, the arm and counterweight post should be supported with Styrofoam or that plastic cell foam, this will keep stress off the bearings of the arm.

While a bit older very helpful thread.
Any chance to see the pictures? or is it just me not being able to see the pictures?

Bought a record cleaner. Watched the UPS driver roll the box up the driveway....filed a claim that hour and got it approved etc...

I shipped a turntable for the first time, I took pictures. Ill spare you the details, you can see in the pictures my approach. The only thing I would do different the next time is make the second box a little smaller.

IMG_3271.JPG IMG_3274.JPG IMG_3275.JPG IMG_3272.JPG IMG_3276.JPG IMG_3273.JPG IMG_3277.JPG IMG_3278.JPG IMG_3279.JPG IMG_3280.JPG

And the rest

Attachments

• IMG_3284.JPG
    IMG_3284.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_3286.JPG
    IMG_3286.JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_3282.JPG
    IMG_3282.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_3285.JPG
    IMG_3285.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_3281.JPG
    IMG_3281.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_3283.JPG
    IMG_3283.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 52
Wow, I can't believe this thread is still in use! Apparently you need a Firefox or Chrome Browser extension to view the photos.
They should still be online. I'll see if I can get to them and just upload them later.

Wow, I can't believe this thread is still in use! Apparently you need a Firefox or Chrome Browser extension to view the photos.
They should still be online. I'll see if I can get to them and just upload them later.

I couldn't see the pictures on the first couple of post either. It was recently commented so I added pics of my experience.

Thanks for the info. Sending a 1200mk1 later on in the week. While "This Way Up" is usually ignored, writing "Fragile" anywhere usually warrants a good boot when being processed. Used to work trunking parcels on nightshift (seen them being kicked down the belt to the trailer) and "This Way Up"does help with claiming for damage if parcel turns up in bits.

Back
Top Bottom