(HOW TO) Turning a Pogoplug E02 into a music player.

Hmmm, exactly what I have done and my service file is identical to what you are showing, I didn't change anything in it. But I still show V1.5 when I type squeezelite -t. Oh well, something to add to the "to-do" list. Thanks for the reply!
I just updated to 1.7. For some reason squeezelite is in my home folder. Maybe that will help.

I just updated to 1.7. For some reason squeezelite is in my home folder. Maybe that will help.
My service file is specifying /usr/local/bin. I removed the existing squeezelite file in there just to make sure that was the right location, it was as starting the service without that file there did nothing. I downloaded the binary using

Code:
wget https://squeezelite.googlecode.com/files/squeezelite-armv5te

I made the binary executable with chmod, renamed it to "squeezelite" and the service now starts and squeezelite works fine. But squeezelite -t still shows the version as 1.5. I am stumped, but 1.5 is working fine for the most part.

EDIT: Solved. I used:
Code:
wget http://squeezelite-downloads.googlecode.com/git/squeezelite-armv5te
And all is good now. I am on version 1.7 now!

Last edited:
My service file is specifying /usr/local/bin. I removed the existing squeezelite file in there just to make sure that was the right location, it was as starting the service without that file there did nothing. I downloaded the binary using

Code:
wget https://squeezelite.googlecode.com/files/squeezelite-armv5te

I made the binary executable with chmod, renamed it to "squeezelite" and the service now starts and squeezelite works fine. But squeezelite -t still shows the version as 1.5. I am stumped, but 1.5 is working fine for the most part.

EDIT: Solved. I used:
Code:
wget http://squeezelite-downloads.googlecode.com/git/squeezelite-armv5te
And all is good now. I am on version 1.7 now!
I am glad you got it sorted out. Now I have to update 2 more pogos and an RPi.

Hey ya'll.
My Pogo works pretty great most of the time, however when I haven't used it for a while it always needs to be restarted.
I usually unplug it, then plug it back in, then wait until it's back on the network.
Then I can log in and start squeezelite again.

Can you think of any reason why this may be happening?
Possibly a chron job to restart the Pogo and start squeezelite after boot?

On the previous page you show a service script to start squeezelite automatically on boot.
Where does this file go?

Last edited:
Not to hijack this thread, and I understand it's about Pogoplug, but has anyone tried out a raspberry Pi 2? I know that HOWHeigel talked about abandoning the Pi (I assume original) but the new one has much better specs:

Quad-core ARM Cortex-A7
1GB LPDDR2 RAM
etc.

I know it's more than the Pogo devices but you can get some seriously cool cases and whatnot from Adafruit as well.

Not to hijack this thread, and I understand it's about Pogoplug, but has anyone tried out a raspberry Pi 2? I know that HOWHeigel talked about abandoning the Pi (I assume original) but the new one has much better specs:

Quad-core ARM Cortex-A7
1GB LPDDR2 RAM
etc.

I know it's more than the Pogo devices but you can get some seriously cool cases and whatnot from Adafruit as well.
I have the Pi 2 and I am using it as an audio player. I use squeezelite and an HRT Music Streamer II DAC. It works great and is a major upgrade over the original RPi.

Hey ya'll.
My Pogo works pretty great most of the time, however when I haven't used it for a while it always needs to be restarted.
I usually unplug it, then plug it back in, then wait until it's back on the network.
Then I can log in and start squeezelite again.

Can you think of any reason why this may be happening?
Possibly a chron job to restart the Pogo and start squeezelite after boot?

On the previous page you show a service script to start squeezelite automatically on boot.
Where does this file go?
The file squeezelite.service goes:
Code:
/etc/systemd/system

To start squeezelite and avahi-daemon run:

Code:
systemctl start squeezelite avahi-daemon

To autostart squeezelite and avahi-daemon on reboot run

Code:
systemctl enable squeezelite avahi-daemon

To reboot the pogo everyday at 4:30 am add this line to the root crontab

Code:
30 4 * * * /usr/bin/systemctl reboot

To use nano as the editor for crontab
Code:
export EDITOR=nano
crontab -e

The result of the above is to reboot the pogo everyday at 4:30 am and automatically start squeezelite.

Last edited:
I have read many good things about the Pi 2 for audio. If I were to get a new one of these devices I would seriously consider going that route.

Both my plugs are still going strong so I have no need to upgrade at the moment.

I have the Pi 2 and I am using it as an audio player. I use squeezelite and an HRT Music Streamer II DAC. It works great and is a major upgrade over the original RPi.

I have read many good things about the Pi 2 for audio. If I were to get a new one of these devices I would seriously consider going that route.

Both my plugs are still going strong so I have no need to upgrade at the moment.

Many thanks for the replies! I'm going to bite the bullet and order a Pi 2 for fun. If anything, I can try out PiPlay. :)

Many thanks for the replies! I'm going to bite the bullet and order a Pi 2 for fun. If anything, I can try out PiPlay. :)
I think you will enjoy it more than a pogoplug. It can do many things besides being an audio player. It is a nice little computer that is much more powerful than the pogoplugs (I have three pogos which are all dedicated to audio).

It also does video extremely well too. Look into Kodi if your into video. It can also be the server for your audio player. Logitech Media Server if your in the squeezebox world.

Most of the time my RPi 2 is looking for asteroids and trying to decode the last three enigma messages left over from WWII using three of its four cores in a distributed computing application.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Thanks for the code snippets ldatlof!
I was about to run these, but it appears I've lost the ability to login to my Pogo.
Geez.

Now if I unplug the Pogo and remove the USB stick and restart, I'm on the network but I'm getting a connection refused via SSH.

Nope. Did not change any passwords.
Now the Pogo won't respond when the USB stick is installed.
I guess I've got a brick on my hands. :-(

Wow, need to catch up on this thread...glad you guys are keeping it alive. My rig has been rock steady for a few years now and I absolutely love it over my Squeezebox Touch. Thanks to all who participated in this thread, one of the coolest projects I ever attempted.

Nope. Did not change any passwords.
Now the Pogo won't respond when the USB stick is installed.
I guess I've got a brick on my hands. :-(
Hopefully you setup netconsole. Either that or you are going to need a serial connection to unbrick. :tears:

So far, I like it a lot.
I did have an issue where the latest release didn't work with my Schiit DAC, but an earlier release worked fine.

Back
Top Bottom