How Well Do You Know American Automaker Flops And Failures.

So TT dash question, any of you guys ever see and hear one? I have. I was at a small car show at a Chrysler dealer, one of those deals where I was driving by, saw old cars and stopped in. I was walking by a late 50s Fury and stopped when I noticed the sound coming from it sounded like a dead jukebox. A peek inside showed one of these units in action. It sounded pretty dismal but I expect between the beat up 45 and probably a fried needle it couldn't be helped.

Chrysler actually tried this system twice. The original ran standard 45 rpm singles. The second version ran a small size record at I think 16 rpm in an effort to fit more than one track. They were sold specifically through Chrysler in the early 60s. It wasn't really any more successful than the original version though.

32/35. and I got the 1917 chevy D model one correct...that ends up being a trivia question no one gets on car boards.

32/35. and I got the 1917 chevy D model one correct...that ends up being a trivia question no one gets on car boards.
that one I got, and the 1923 'C' copper cooled. Franklin bought the rights to Kettering's copper-on-steel process and made it work on their cars, until in 1930, when after a quarter million dollar development program introduced the overhead valve/sidedraft air cooled engines that became the standard pattern.

I looked at the 70's cars one, I thot it would be 'identify this' instead it was half assed trivia about the 70's and they got at least 3 that I saw, wrong

30 I distinctly remember ford saying, no were good, when asked about bailout money.What changed?

See--I'm not the only one. I got that wrong because I thought the same thing, that they declined the fed bailout, not that they were denied or anything like that. As I also previously posted, their marketing dept. sure used that as leverage--"we're strong and don't need to be bailed out".

I got 29 out of 35. There are a couple of Crossfires in my neighborhood and I wouldn't mind having one. Being a sales flop doesn't mean they were bad cars. And this quiz reminded me of a former girlfriend who had the Levi's edition of the Gremlin, with polyester "denim" covering the seats. Not only was it ugly, but AMC put a big engine in it and gas mileage was horrid -- in the midst of the Arab oil embargo. Lastly, an old boss kept a couple of 50s car magazines around the office and one had an ad for an aftermarket under-dash phonograph for playing 45s in your car. I think it was J.C. Whitney.

See--I'm not the only one.

You're not, I thought the same thing.

AMC was an interesting company. Only they would use "denim" interior and offer an available 401 cube V8 under the hood of a Gremlin. The 258 I6 that was their base engine in most things wasn't exactly a fuel miser either, so you may as well get the V8. I will admit that for a time I wanted one of those 4x4 Eagle wagons they made.

25/35.

I got the turntable right, and the original Chevy V-8, too.

I don't recall anything about Ford being given bail-out money.

32/35, some were complete guesses that turned out correct. Missed Ford on the bailout, I thought they rejected it.

So TT dash question, any of you guys ever see and hear one? I have. I was at a small car show at a Chrysler dealer, one of those deals where I was driving by, saw old cars and stopped in. I was walking by a late 50s Fury and stopped when I noticed the sound coming from it sounded like a dead jukebox. A peek inside showed one of these units in action. It sounded pretty dismal but I expect between the beat up 45 and probably a fried needle it couldn't be helped.

Chrysler actually tried this system twice. The original ran standard 45 rpm singles. The second version ran a small size record at I think 16 rpm in an effort to fit more than one track. They were sold specifically through Chrysler in the early 60s. It wasn't really any more successful than the original version though.

Original used the Chrysler specific 16 2/3 Highway Hi-Fi records supplied by Columbia, second version was done by Chrysler and RCA Victor and used 45 RPM standard records. The first was a major failure, the fact that music selection was limited, and dealer only or from Chrysler caused that to bomb.

Back
Top Bottom