How would you build a giant killer system with a $5000 budget?

Donny

Big Damn Hero
Hi all. I am guilty of watching youtube videos about audio.
I have seen several comments saying things as to the effect of, speeding anything over $5000 is a waste of money. One thing I do not see is anyone explaining how they have assembled a complete system with in that budget that competes with the mega dollar systems.
This is purely for discussion.
Let's say the room is 14x18 feet with 8 foot ceiling,sheetrock,carpet flooring with normal furniture. Room treatments consist of 2 bass traps.
To make this easier budget does not have to cover tax or shipping. Budget doesn't have to cover basic cables of the non exotic nature. Pricing does have to reflect current prices though,So no Krells found at goodwill!
I hope this makes for a fun topic :)

So current pricing can include an actual used source listing, or is this just new or discounted(open box, demo, etc) sources?

I did it years ago

Dynaudio 82s - $2500
Odyssey Stratos Plus - $1200
Sound Valves 101i Tube pre-Amp - $800
Rotel 1072 CDP - $600
Tara Labs Cables - $350

Now don't think this sounds the same as the $20K (new retail value) system in my signature but plenty satisfying for those that have to stretch that budget.

I have seen several comments saying things as to the effect of, speeding anything over $5000 is a waste of money.
Generally coming from someone who's never had better or never will. I have had systems and lots of gear below this price and lot's above it. So this is a statement I can't, nor never will make as it's simply not true.

One thing I do not see is anyone explaining how they have assembled a complete system with in that budget that competes with the mega dollar systems.

This is because they never had both and can't really present anything factual with hands on. What they will say is I went to a show room once or a audio show and I felt my system sounded better. Sorry this doesn't cut it, if you haven't built and used it in ones own space over days weeks and month they don't really know how it sounds.

I would find it very very hard to put something together @ $5000 that would sound better than a system at say $50,000 or even $20,000. Now I'm also looking at the system needing at least one analogue source and one digital source.

You can put a pretty good system together with one CDP source costing maybe $20, and spending the rest on a power amp, gain control and speakers.

Anyway, anyone can build a system at any cost and enjoy it immensely and bring music into the home. But for me being on both sides of the fence, spending more has only made the sound quality of my system get better. And I also know there is higher dollar equipment that will sound better than what I have now.

Get in where you fit in, and enjoy the music and what you have.

Dali Oberon 5 $1100
HSU VTF-2 MK 5 $650 (not including the Christmas sale currently)
Marantz PM 8006 $1200
Rega Planar 3 $650
Ortofon 2M Blue $250
AQ cables, about $3-400
Marantz CD6006 $500
That saves about a grand to add another source, get bigger versions of the speakers for a bigger room, etc.
Also, there is a lot more available at higher budgets. But it does get to a point where you can't imagine it sounding better... and then you are very surprised when you listen to something better.

$5000 can build a nice system, especially off the used market such as USAudiomart or Audiogon. And if limited to digital only, then its even better, as high performance analog components have gotten expensive these days.

But I would never say that $5000 is a practical ceiling, and anything else is a waste of money. There is a bunch of performance improvements to be had over that price point, even on the used market. Truth is you can eat up that budget on a high quality turntable, arm, and cartridge, even at used prices.

Now the argument of diminishing returns always comes into play. That tends to be a sliding price/performance ratio, as it depends on your evaluation and finances to as what that point should be.

Since this is a theoretical discussion, and no one is planning on spending $5K this week, that as far as I am willing to delve into it.

Cheers
Mister Pig

And now for something completely different :D
Juicy audio with cream 1500
DSG1 SEP AMP. 3-400
Nice used cornwalls under 2Gs let's say 1500 for sake of fantasy.
Leaves you near 1500 for TT, CDP , possibly DAC

Thinking
Marc Morin or Steve Frosten AR XA with maybe an M97 variant or a V15 variant.
Maybe OPPO 95

Marantz SA-15S2 SACD player, used on eBay - $1300
Promitheus TVC preamp, new - $420
Hafler DH-220 power amp, used on eBay - $250
Quad ESL, used in good shape - $1500

$3470, done. $1530 left over for whatever...

Yes, these are all stuff I'm running or used to run. Extreme prejudice, or vouched for, whichever way you want to look at it.

Dali Oberon 5 $1100
HSU VTF-2 MK 5 $650 (not including the Christmas sale currently)
Marantz PM 8006 $1200
Rega Planar 3 $650
Ortofon 2M Blue $250
AQ cables, about $3-400
Marantz CD6006 $500
That saves about a grand to add another source, get bigger versions of the speakers for a bigger room, etc.
Also, there is a lot more available at higher budgets. But it does get to a point where you can't imagine it sounding better... and then you are very surprised when you listen to something better.

Nicely done! How about this? I’ve auditioned or owned all of these and wouldn’t hesitate to buy.

KEF LS50 $999
Rogue Audio Sphinx v2 $1395 (on lightly used market for @1100)
Rega Planar 3 $650 (used a little less)
HANA EL $475
REL T5 $599
iFi DAC DSD Black Label ($199)
HP i3 laptop $399
Audioquest $200 to $300 speaker and interconnects

Nicely done! How about this? I’ve auditioned or owned all of these and wouldn’t hesitate to buy.

KEF LS50 $999
Rogue Audio Sphinx v2 $1395 (on lightly used market for @1100)
Rega Planar 3 $650 (used a little less)
HANA EL $475
REL T5 $599
iFi DAC DSD Black Label ($199)
HP i3 laptop $399
Audioquest $200 to $300 speaker and interconnects
I think I like your choices better overall, but having heard the Dali Zensors, the one thing on that list I'd be firm on buying would be those Dalis. Not to say the Kefs are a bad speaker, but the Dalis (while not quite as accurate as some of it's similarly priced counterparts) is one of the most fun and enjoyable speakers I've ever heard.
That REL looks nice too, although I've heard second hand that the HSU subs are incredible for the money, and a lot of them would have them over a much more expensive SVS.
And finally, I forgot Ortofon also has the 2M Bronze; I would get that instead of the Blue. I have never seen that Hana model you mentioned, but it does look pretty sweet. :)
Cours, I sadly can't afford any of this... :( although I hopefully will have a pair of Oberon 3s headed to my doorstep by spring next year sometime. :D

@Mlistens03 , I’ve wanted to take a listen to the Dali’s of any model but haven’t found the opportunity. Fun and enjoyable usually outrank straight accuracy in my experience most of the time. I’ve read great reviews of the Dali loudspeakers.
The 2M Bronze is a winner as is the Red IMO. I had the Blue and it seemed a little “uninteresting “.

I built one off Craigslist and buying new. If you know what you like, there is a lot of money to be saved buying a combination of new and used.

Last edited:
Generally coming from someone who's never had better or never will. I have had systems and lots of gear below this price and lot's above it. So this is a statement I can't, nor never will make as it's simply not true.

This is because they never had both and can't really present anything factual with hands on. What they will say is I went to a show room once or a audio show and I felt my system sounded better. Sorry this doesn't cut it, if you haven't built and used it in ones own space over days weeks and month they don't really know how it sounds.

I would find it very very hard to put something together @ $5000 that would sound better than a system at say $50,000 or even $20,000. Now I'm also looking at the system needing at least one analogue source and one digital source.

You can put a pretty good system together with one CDP source costing maybe $20, and spending the rest on a power amp, gain control and speakers.

Anyway, anyone can build a system at any cost and enjoy it immensely and bring music into the home. But for me being on both sides of the fence, spending more has only made the sound quality of my system get better. And I also know there is higher dollar equipment that will sound better than what I have now.

Get in where you fit in, and enjoy the music and what you have.

OK, I'll play.

Parasound 200 preamp (has DAC and phono-pre) - $900
Crown XLi800 amp - $230
Chromecast Audio - $30
Denon turntable - $300
Tekton mini lore's - $575
Ebay good used FM tuner - $150
Ebay good used CD player - $150
Dayton sub - $150
Amazon cables - $100
miniDSP w/ mic and remote - $575
DIY bass traps and treatments - $500
Records, CDs - $450
IKEA storage for all your audio stuff - $300
Laz-y-boy chair - $550
Good beer = $40
--- Might not be a true giant killer, but the beer will help disguise any problems with the system.

:beerchug::beerchug::beerchug::beerchug::beerchug::beerchug::beerchug::beerchug::beerchug::beerchug:

Back
Top Bottom