how'd i do? thorens 160

Rockmonton

Infected with Altecitis
was at a guys house picking up some amp parts he had a thorens 160 and a couple of duals, this one looks to be fixable..... i reccomended he come here to get info on his haflter dh-101 and his hafler 200 monoblock (i think) that he will probably eventually sell also....... any info for him or me?

Only thing I can add is the TD-160 is a great table when set up right, but don't mess with aftermarket belts. The platter is very heavy and usually will stretch them while running, resulting in wow and flutter. Factory belts are still available if it needs one.

he tyhrew it in with 40$ (well it was probably worth alot more new) of old tube parts that were salvaged. i hope i didnt rip him off... didi ?

It all depends on what kind of shape its in. A buddy of mine has one, but the metal has oxidized on it and the dust cover is cracked. IMO, it isn't worth any more than $40. You both prolly got a fair shake on the deal.

ahh yeah its pretty beat up, the cartrige is a shure sm-19 with no needle so i'll be looking for a replacement needle and the belt is pretty messed up so i'll see what i can do the4 hinges were long broken nad replaced and theres some damage to the casing but it'll look nice when i'm done i might have the chassis powdercoated or something heh....

Jerry Raskin's Needle Doctor should have the appropriate belt for it. Make sure the pivot points on the arm aren't messed up before you spend any money on it. The bearing will probably require lubrication too. The factory cables sometimes rot on these too, but they are easily replaceable if you know how to solder. There's a phenolic terminal strip that's accessible by removing the bottom board. I'd also suggest replacing the tiny rubber feet with something a little better.

ahh ok i'll hop over to the TT forum when i'm ready to take it on, it looks like it could be a nice fixer upper better than that automatic sony or that pioneer i have... wlel the pioneer i should probably finish fixing up too.. but it sounds nice

Celt is right about those feet. Also, buy a little Dynamat Extreme and dampen the insides. Easy and cheap mod.

Congrats on snagging the ultimate in "tweakers" tables. If you need advice go to the analog dept for assistance, manuals and helpful pics of some useful tweaks. Get this table set up correctly with a new belt and cartridge ( forget replacing the stylus on that old tired Shure) and you'll have a great spinner for relatively little money. It will sonically destroy your Pioneer table. Grab yourself a cartridge alignment tool and a stylus force guage and have at her. I wouldn't worry about the dustcover myself. I take mine off to play vinyl.

Mike

haha thanks for the ideas you guys, we'll see when i'm done..... i wanna try and refinish thise sucker too in piano black or something crazy...... pics to come eventually.....

Back
Top Bottom