Howdy from Houston, Texas

cooltouch

Well, I was googling for some more info on a set of speakers I had, and stumbled across this forum. Then read up on several pages of info on my speakers. Very cool. Looks like I have a set of keepers -- although it's never occurred to me to sell them.

The keepers are a pair of ADC L300C speakers in what is apparently an uncommon brown color. I've owned them for probably 18 years or so? I don't even remember where I bought them -- probably a local pawn shop -- and I probably didn't pay much for them.

Currently, I don't have them hooked up to anything. I'm still thinking things through about how I want to run them. After I bought them I added them to my Digital Audio Workstation, where they were basically duplicating the sound output of another set of speakers I own. The workstation went into hibernation for a few years and then we moved and I had to re-assemble everything again, and when I did, the L300Cs got left out.

My home stereo is powered by a TEAC receiver, which does a decent job, and I've currently got an okay set of Yamaha speakers hooked up to it. I'm thinking about adding the L300Cs to this setup instead of adding them to my DAW.

Oh, almost forgot -- my DAW's setup is an Adco power amp, receiver, and CD player, powering a set of Alesis Point Seven reference monitors. These Alesis monitors are very nice. They are noticeably better sounding than the L300Cs. I've owned the Point Sevens for longer than I've owned the L300Cs.

I use my DAW, a Windows 7 based computer, for music composition, recording, and production (I'm a guitarist and I also play a little keyboards). I have a 24/96 sound card with its own little 4-channel mixer whose outs go to the Adco. It's a nice setup, works well, and sounds very good with those Alesis reference monitors. According to specs I found online about these Alesises, they each have a 5.25" low frequency driver and 1" silk dome tweeter, and they weigh in at "only" 11 pounds each.

The only thing that I find somewhat lacking about them is the low end. And that's one of the reasons why I joined this forum, cuz I hope to find info or pick someone's brains on how I can add a subwoofer to my setup. I'm wondering if I can just plug it straight into my Adco -- maybe cobbling together a 2-into-1 Y-cord to take the Adco outs from stereo to mono to feed to a subwoofer. But I'm wondering if this sort of thing would work acceptably or if I need to set up some sort of crossover for everything. Anyway, that's mostly why I'm here, so I'll be doing some searching, see what I can find on the subject.

I also have a pair of ESM-3s that aren't currently in use. Their foam is gone. From what I understand, it is possible to just replace the foam without having to recomb the speakers. That's what I'd like to do. I've read good things about these speakers and these I'm interested in adding to my DAW's setup.

Okay, well I've rattled on for long enough. See y'all on the boards.

Howdy from the Dallas area Cooltouch, welcome! Sounds like you have some fun projects ahead of you. Post Pics when you can, they love pictures here. AK's a great board and I've really had a wonderful time here myself.

Back
Top Bottom