Howdy!

Turnip

Hi there!

I'm pretty new to the idea of vintage audio equipment, but I like the idea of getting something good sounding for a reasonable price as well as the general asthetics and build qualities of most older things.

I've been wanting some way to play vinyl records for some time now and a general sound system for the house, so trying to figure out what I need to get a half decent vinyl player really. So far figured I need speakers and an amp, sure I'll figure it out, excited ot start looking for some deals.

Thanks.

I'm actually from the UK, so if anyone has any general tips for beginning over here that would be fantastic too, still trying to get my modern digital brain around it all.

Welcome to AK, be sure to update your profile so PPl can see your from the UK, may help you meet new people and other such things. First thing is know your budget, next is learn how to acquire things and low budget price for things that are high budget vintage. A thorens Turntable, Some Good British speakers and amps can be had, here you learn what the good stuff is and where not to spend your cash when you could be spending it on something else as long as your patient. Start with what you can get your hands on and upgrade from there, have Lots of room for extra speakers and lastly, are you single or married? because there is something called WAF. things that affect out purchasing decisions.

Thanks guys.

Welcome to AK, be sure to update your profile so PPl can see your from the UK, may help you meet new people and other such things. First thing is know your budget, next is learn how to acquire things and low budget price for things that are high budget vintage. A thorens Turntable, Some Good British speakers and amps can be had, here you learn what the good stuff is and where not to spend your cash when you could be spending it on something else as long as your patient. Start with what you can get your hands on and upgrade from there, have Lots of room for extra speakers and lastly, are you single or married? because there is something called WAF. things that affect out purchasing decisions.

Well I have to admit I don't really know what my budget is, I was trying to see what I can get for what before deciding, but it's going to be about spending as little as possible at first. While in the long run I'd like to get something decent going, as you say, at first I'll just be looking for something that sounds good at a reasonable price.

So these are the questions I have really. I've seen some speakers which after researching seem like they should be decent near-by on ebay for £50-70, then some amps for £50-100 and still looking for turntables. Thing is I'm still getting used to terms and specs, so no idea if what I'm looking at is any good or even compatible.

I'm also trying to figure out if its possible to get a CD player which will work with 70/80's amps and speakers and how/if a setup like that with a turntable would even work.

I live with my girlfriend. When I got excited at a particularly large pair of speakers I received an evil glare, so she will certainly have an impact on my purchases.

I did notice an amp and speaker combo for just £30 online, which looks like an alright place to start. A quick google suggests it's not the highest of specs but beggers can't be choosers...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Teleton-F2000-Tuner-Amp-and-Speakers/112430864759
I also found a CD player...
https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Marantz-CD-46-CD-Player/72083601?iid=282500751032
Thing is I have no idea how I go about making sure these are compatible. This would set my whole investment at only £80 and just needing a turntable, which I'd be pretty happy at the thought of.

Last edited:
That stereo you just showed has been sitting for 30 years unused, even at that price you would like to get something that will work and not need possible repairs, something your going to run into a lot, You may want to consider passing based on possible problems (more than likely poor sounding as a result of also) you can attach a cd player to the aux input and the turntable goes in the phono input so no conflict there, also can put in tape, you may also want to consider a Dac for streaming music off the internet in the future. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-1...e827ce1&pid=100009&rk=1&rkt=1&sd=172738509946 I have the Big Brother here but this is 26 watts so not too bad for starting out and it has that Classic sansui look and feel.

Welcome and good luck with your search! You're probably in for a long and enjoyable haul as you get caught up in this madness like the rest of us ;)

I do recall coming across some "thrift" type stores over in the U.K. when I've been there. I didn't get the impression that they are as commonplace as say the U.S.'s Goodwills, etc. but there may be something you are aware of that might have something of interest that can get you going. Do you ever have any of those "Car Boot" sales that happen near you?

That stereo you just showed has been sitting for 30 years unused, even at that price you would like to get something that will work and not need possible repairs, something your going to run into a lot, You may want to consider passing based on possible problems (more than likely poor sounding as a result of also) you can attach a cd player to the aux input and the turntable goes in the phono input so no conflict there, also can put in tape, you may also want to consider a Dac for streaming music off the internet in the future. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-1970s-SANSUI-G-3000-Amplifier-Integrated-STEREO-RECEIVER-Working-VGC/222551237274?_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982&_trkparms=aid=888007&algo=DISC.MBE&ao=1&asc=43783&meid=7ef40b378fad4e2493c08a05fe827ce1&pid=100009&rk=1&rkt=1&sd=172738509946 I have the Big Brother here but this is 26 watts so not too bad for starting out and it has that Classic sansui look and feel.
Ok good to know. Thanks for all that. I guess patients for the right thing to pop up is crucial.
you have pawn shops there? or you call them something else?
We kind of go, although I barely know of any in my area, we have charity shops, which are completely random things donated to the shop to be sold off for charity, but they're rarely as good as what you guys have, in fact they're normally full of absolute crap.
Welcome and good luck with your search! You're probably in for a long and enjoyable haul as you get caught up in this madness like the rest of us ;)

I do recall coming across some "thrift" type stores over in the U.K. when I've been there. I didn't get the impression that they are as commonplace as say the U.S.'s Goodwills, etc. but there may be something you are aware of that might have something of interest that can get you going. Do you ever have any of those "Car Boot" sales that happen near you?
Thank you.
You're pretty much bang on with that. There are a couple of car boots near me and I'm planning on going at the weekend to have a look. My concern is that I'm not going to be able to test anything before buying it, so I'm not going to be wanting to spend very much on anything from there.

Ok good to know. Thanks for all that. I guess patients for the right thing to pop up is crucial.

We kind of go, although I barely know of any in my area, we have charity shops, which are completely random things donated to the shop to be sold off for charity, but they're rarely as good as what you guys have, in fact they're normally full of absolute crap.

Thank you.
You're pretty much bang on with that. There are a couple of car boots near me and I'm planning on going at the weekend to have a look. My concern is that I'm not going to be able to test anything before buying it, so I'm not going to be wanting to spend very much on anything from there.
Understood, maybe you can use that to your advantage to get a good deal, "hey, if I can't test it or verify functionality..."

Wow you really get a lot of welcomes here huh? Must be one of the most successful forum intro threads I've ever
Understood, maybe you can use that to your advantage to get a good deal, "hey, if I can't test it or verify functionality..."
That is a good point actually, could be worth a shot, just hope I don't actually end up with a shiny box which does nothing...
I'm up for a bit of maintenance, but I'm no electrician.

hey its a gamble but if it don't work right we can help trouble shoot things for you, its fun! if you see a really nice thing that don't work and your wondering what to do, buy it and you can get help here with it. you can also sell it and maybe make a few pounds while your at it (this helps pay for reaching higher price points)

Back
Top Bottom