HP Laptop Screen Hinge Failure Cause & Fix

CharlieBee

HP dv7 Laptop and other models Screen Hinge Failures are a common problem with recent models. I hope this write up is helpful to some.

I have determined the root cause of HP dv7 laptops and probably other HP laptops hinge issues is due to a too tight hinge joint because the hinge nut is too tight. The high hinge tension is set at the HP factory or was set by the hinge manufacturer and then installed by HP. This nut tension specification is way too tight for what is needed to hold up the screen and is too high for the hinge nut holding pedestals not to fail with usage. A contributing cause is feeble plastic pedestals that hold the metal nuts used to hold screws that hold the hinge to the base of the computer. These pedestals need much more plastic to do the job.

The excessively tight hinge requires too much force to be used to open and close the laptop screen and eventually, often after the warranty expires, to loosen the hinge screws and the hinge arm puts unusual forces on the weak plastic pedestals, holding the metal nuts securing the hinge screws to the computer base, breaking them and allowing the hinge arm to destroy anything in its way.

If you notice your hinge catching or a hinge end corner of the laptop base separating at the seam, your too tight hinge has pulled the metal nuts off the plastic pedestals. The only fix is to open up the computer, repair the nuts with J B Weld and reinstall the screws. Then cut out the hinge covers over the hinge nuts with a razor saw and loosed the hinge nuts to maximum CCW to the stop, with a 7/32” open end wrench. The hinge nut only moves about 1/3 of a turn from unmovable tight to maximum looseness, which I found to be an adequate setting.

How I repaired my HP dv7-7027cl Laptop Hinge Failure

I recently had the hinge problem with my HP dv7-7027cl laptop. Luckily it was the right hinge that pulled the metal nuts out of the plastic pedestals holding the hinge to the frame. The plastic pedestals anchor the metal nuts to the bottom of the keypad deck. These were fixed with J B Weld (Marine-Tex would be a better choice as it is a putty with less running than the glue like J B Weld) and the hinge was attached to the bottom with four ¾ “ long, 2.5 mm bolts with fine treads to match the re-installed nuts in the strengthened pedestals.

The left hinge had loose hinge screws but no damage. I installed bolts in place of screws on both hinges. Bolts were installed with ½” flat fender washers, through the bottom of the laptop, tightened to the nuts on the pedestals, hinge added and capped with a lock washer and double nutted on top of the hinge.

I had bought a new set of hinges before I started the repair and computer disassemble but did not put them in. Upon examining the new hinges I could see and feel the extreme pressure that was required to move both of them. I then took a wrench and loosened the hinge nuts of the spare hinge, by turning them counter clock wise, looking head on the nut, to the stop. The nut only turns about 1/3 of a turn, stop to stop. Full CCW made the hinge much easier to move but is still quite tight.

I did not want to replace the old hinge with the new one as I would have to pull the screen frame all apart and there was nothing wrong with the originals hinges except too much tension caused by too tight of a hinge nut.
I figured out about where the nut on the hinges was behind the hinge covers between the laptop body and the screen frame. I used a hobby razor saw to saw two slots on each side of the nut in the plastic hinge covers and cut and broke out a 3/16 “ slot over each nut and used an offset, open end, 7/32” wrench to lower the torque needed to move the hinge by turning each nut full CCW. This made the screen much easier to open and close, similar to my old Toshiba laptop, and the screen was secure and holds its position. I installed a piece of black plastic electrical tape to cover the slot I cut in the hinge covers. This keeps dust out and hides the slot.

I hope this write up helps others with their HP laptop hinges.

Probullrider

Last edited:
My daughter has an HP Pavilion with the same problem. She had a failure on both sides where the hinge screw anchors pulled out of the plastic housing. I had disassembled entirely and rebed the anchors in epoxy resin. I then followed your instructions and loosened the hinges enough that it would still hold the screen open, but not rip the anchors out of the plastic. After that resin set, I filled all of the cavities around the hinge anchors with epoxy to add strength. Hopefully it will hold. I thought about removing the brass anchor inserts, filling the voids with epoxy, then drilling holes completely through the base and screen housings to run small bolts with washers. Now I have to figure out how to repair the ribbon cable connector that disintegrated as I disconnected it...

El Rubio

Thanks for the reply and I am glad you found the write up helpful fixing your HP laptop hinge problem.

Charlie

Thank you for this useful information.

I used to be an HP notebook fan but abandoned the brand when I noticed that HP quality was going downhill. I saw more cheap plastic and had a horrendous experience with a big multimedia notebook. HP tech support was useless. I also have to attribute part of the blame to that horrible "Vista" operating system. To this day, my expensive computer has an inoperable DVD drive. HP kept blaming the problem on Microsoft. They kept sending me new Installation disks which could not be read by the faulty DVD drive. (I performed all driver changes, to no avail.) Now, this occurred several years ago and I hear that HP quality has improved.

In general, though, I think that most computers have become replaceable commodities. Even if they are durable, the cycle of "Windows" versions that keeps getting more bloated, and difficult to run without the most modern hardware, makes most computers obsolete in less than 5 years.

Well, I can't afford to buy a new computer every few years. I know about those cheap computers with little memory and almost no storage capacity. One is expected to use cloud storage. This may be a fine solution for some. But in time, I believe that cloud storage will become another recurring expense.

I have found my own solution by resurrecting my old computers with Linux. I am typing this on an HP notebook that was slow with "Windows XP." I'm using the "Mint" version of Linux. It is very popular and has a shell that is useful for beginners. I am amazed by this operating system's stability and speed. No, it is not as easy as the mainstream OSs. But I don't have to pay for multiple malware subscriptions or deal with frequent lockups. What is of primary significance for myself is that it frees me from an endless spending cycle.

Years ago, I had to learn DOS in order to use the computers at my workplace. Yes, it required some effort. But so does learning to restore am amplifier. Mastering anything difficult is a liberating experience. Anyone who watches an amplifier turn on and work after tackling a difficult problem, knows that feeling of elation.

Back
Top Bottom