HPM-100 mid & high pot removal

Eagle1

I need to DeOx my mid and high pots after noticing scratchiness coming from one of my high speakers. After rotating the high adjustment full circle it went away, but it's just temporary. The pot needs some good cleaning and might as well do them all while I'm at it. What's the easiest way to remove them to get access out of the cabinet to give them a good cleaning with DeOXit? Thanks.

I need to DeOx my mid and high pots after noticing scratchiness coming from one of my high speakers. After rotating the high adjustment full circle it went away, but it's just temporary. The pot needs some good cleaning and might as well do them all while I'm at it. What's the easiest way to remove them to get access out of the cabinet to give them a good cleaning with DeOXit? Thanks.

Still looking for suggestions on how to get access to the mid and high pots to give them a good cleaning. I'm sure there are others out there who would like to know also.

All I have are a pair of empty cabinets. I don't see a clean way to get to them unless the nuts are recessed behind the logo plate,
I'm worried that the plate will get bent if I try and pop it off. :scratch2:

The L-pads are removed by pulling the knobs off (Gently)..Removing the plate was done by applying heat with my wife's hair drier, And (Gently) lifting a corner with a straight edge razor. Once you get it started, Your good. Do not rush it, They bend very easily. Then get a long reach 1/2" socket, Yes the nut is recessed, And pull both out from inside. There are of course leads from the tweeter and midrange, Unplug and thats it. You could try spraying deoxit with them still mounted, The woofer will have to be pulled no matter what. Good luck.

Figured out how to get to the pots without removing the entire assembly. I removed both the woofer and round high speaker then turned the cabinet upside down and put some paper towels inside under the assy. Then I was able to get to both pots and give them both a few good squirts of faderlube and work it in. Repeated several more times just to make sure. While as I was at it gave the bottom of the speaker cabinet a good rubbing of furniture oil. Put it back in it's proper upright position and reinstalled the speakers. Cabinet is much easier to move without that woofer installed. That baby weighs a ton! Scratchiness is now gone. Thanks all. :banana:

Figured out how to get to the pots without removing the entire assembly. I removed both the woofer and round high speaker then turned the cabinet upside down and put some paper towels inside under the assy. Then I was able to get to both pots and give them both a few good squirts of faderlube and work it in. Repeated several more times just to make sure. While as I was at it gave the bottom of the speaker cabinet a good rubbing of furniture oil. Put it back in it's proper upright position and reinstalled the speakers. Cabinet is much easier to move without that woofer installed. That baby weighs a ton! Scratchiness is now gone. Thanks all. :banana:

Old thread.
This post helped me more than you know. The right speaker was cutting in & out and no amount of Deoxit on the speaker connection helped. I followed your example and it's been trouble free for two days.
Thank you from 2017!

I fixed mine by simply spraying DeOxit onto the pots while still mounted with just the knobs removed . It seems to have worked for me, although I find myself likely repeating the process described here "just in case" as I'm a bit anal. Another possible source of scratchiness I found was with the speaker terminals on the back of the cabinet. The original black and red terminals screw completely off and a couple had pretty bad oxidation on the screw. I basically soaked the terminals in DeOxit and sprayed down the screws which mostly removed all oxidation.

Back
Top Bottom