Humble Pie "Smokin"- horrible background noise

Discussion in 'Music Forums' started by crazy-in-az, Sep 12, 2017.

1. crazy-in-az

crazy-in-az "Dinsdale!" Subscriber

I recently found a copy of the LP "Smokin" that sounds really bad. It's the A&M pressing from 1972, SP-4342.

Basically it sounds like typical background noise, but amplified so that it almost drowns out the music. I've cleaned it with some diluted rubbing alcohol and an anti-static record brush, then washed with warm water and patted dry with a microfiber cloth. It still sounds bad, like there's lots of dust in the grooves.

I've listened to it on two different turntables with different cartridges, and with three different pairs of speakers. Visually the vinyl is very clean, flat and has only a couple of tiny, almost unnoticeable scratches that shouldn't affect the sound.

Any ideas? I'd be willing to try almost anything. It only cost me $1 so it's no huge loss.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
  2. qdrone

qdrone Music is my mistress

Sounds like a bad pressing, it happens. If it is there is not much you can do, a great album by the way.

crazy-in-az likes this.
  3. johnebravo

johnebravo I should be practicing

There are more extreme measures that can be taken with LPs that resist the ordinary methods -- try searching the site for "wood glue", "scrubbing bubbles", etc. Some people swear they have resurrected seemingly lost causes by such means. Or you can look for another copy . . . ;)

4. crazy-in-az

I was thinking of trying wood glue. I wasn't sure what it would do the record, but what do I have to lose for $1? I'll keep my eye on BT for another copy...

5. comish4

comish4 comish4

One of my favorite LP's Clem Clemson did some great guitar work on this album. I Wonder is a great great tune. My pressing is not that great but that is due to a lot of late nights in college. Mine like yours is just worn out.

6. crazy-in-az

Well, I'm trying the wood glue thing. I covered it yesterday afternoon and I'll peel it up later today. I'll let you guys know if it helped...

7. crazy-in-az

Well, the wood glue didn't fix the problem, but it helped a little. It's still too distorted to listen to though.

Oh well, no big loss. I'm sure I can come across another copy easily enough.

8. exhippy

exhippy I use to have long hair. Now I'm lucky to have any Subscriber

That's what happens when your LP spends 30 days in the hole.....................

swamppirate likes this.