Hunt for McIntosh Amplifier

I have a 2120 that I picked up "cheap". I'm not crazy about the looks, but it sounds great. I feed it from a Mc receiver and also use that same receiver to power two other sets of remote speakers. I wanted the Power Guard, sentry monitor, and the autoformers as I had thoughts of powering more speakers in parallel off the 4 ohm tap. But the receiver solution solved that issue. (Mc receiver has option of splitting out pre-amp feed and still feeding receiver's power amp.) I'd be happy with less than 120w/PC but didn't feel 50W would be enough. Now using Sonus-Faber speakers.

I haven't felt (or heard) the need to re-cap.

Good luck with your hunt!

If you do get one of the older Mac amps with the terminal strips for speaker hook up, be glad. Use either ring lug or fork connectors properly crimped to your speaker wires and never have to worry about a bad connection. Banana plugs are for test gear, they were never intended to be used as permanent wiring hook ups. When I have an amp that uses the 5 way binding post, I carefully twist the strands tight, insert them into the cross hole and snug down the cap. Just be careful not to short out the connectors. Sometimes I also tin the end of the wires,
I know, no bling, but I'm more concerned about the sound than bling.

BillWojo

What amp at your friend's house had the distracting light
You should get the amp you prefer to have, but know this...metered McIntosh amp values almost always exceed the non-metered values. Something to consider if you ever plan to sell them because you want to upgrade.

You should get the amp you prefer to have, but know this...metered McIntosh amp values almost always exceed the non-metered values. Something to consider if you ever plan to sell them because you want to upgrade.

That is sort of a two edged sword because they cost more to purchase in the first place.

That is sort of a two edged sword because they cost more to purchase in the first place.
Absolutely! But being able to sell equipment quickly is a great benefit as well, especially when looking forward to the funds to invest in that upgrade.

I have found a MC2100 local-ish that I am going to give a try. It has been partially re-capped. The chrome looks to be in good shape, and there are really no marks on the cage. My stereo sits out in the open, so the gear has to look presentable.

My only concern with the amp is that I ideally stack my amp/preamp. I don't know if the McIntosh is going to allow that.

It was a bit pricy, but it has a receipt of bench service done this year. The MC2100 seems like a good place to start my journey.

The son-in-law selling it is also selling an Oscilloscope and a Resistance-Capacitance-Comparatar Bridge tester. I don't know how to use these things, but it seems that the father-in-law was pretty into electronic equipment.

Last edited:
You definitely don't want to place the MC2100 on a Mc preamp if it's in a vented cabinet. Should not be a problem on a solid cabinet.

Last edited:
Yeah -- my preap is a Hafler DH110 that Musical Concepts has done a number on. I tend to prefer running turntable-preamp-headphones. My amp and speakers get regular complements, but it is not the sound that I am looking for.

I have a well serviced pair of Pioneer speakers that I look to replace with some ZU Audio units. I am going to keep my turntable and preamp the same. I'll add in the MC2100 expecting to find the speakers very enjoyable.

Yeah -- my preap is a Hafler DH110 that Musical Concepts has done a number on. I tend to prefer running turntable-preamp-headphones. My amp and speakers get regular complements, but it is not the sound that I am looking for.

I have a well serviced pair of Pioneer speakers that I look to replace with some ZU Audio units. I am going to keep my turntable and preamp the same. I'll add in the MC2100 expecting to find the speakers very enjoyable.

The 2100 will provide a ridiculous amount of power for a pair of Zu speakers. You will be able to take advantage of the 16 ohm taps, as most Zu speakers have that as their nominal impedance. :thumbsup:

Funny you should mention that. I have been confused on how to hook up the Zu speakers with the MC2100. It looks to have connections for 4,6,and 8 ohm speakers. Zu has recommended that I use the 8ohm tap.

Regardless, I am looking forward to it.

Funny you should mention that. I have been confused on how to hook up the Zu speakers with the MC2100. It looks to have connections for 4,6,and 8 ohm speakers. Zu has recommended that I use the 8ohm tap.

Actually the MC2100 has 4, 8, and 16 ohm taps. You can try the 8 and the 16 with your speakers and see what you like better.

I have to agree with you on the styling of the older Mac amps. That MC2100 would look killer between my MC40 monoblocks if I was bi-amping. My chassis is a little bit distressed with the minor pitting and such so I wouldn't need a pristine one either.
Let us know how you like it.

BillWojo

This is all great information -- thank you.

I do have the itch for a McIntosh amp -- it may lead to greater things.

I have a headphone option through my preamp. I really enjoy it -- but that has me wondering where in my amp/ speakers something is not as enjoyable.

My amp is 30 years old, and my speakers are at least 45 years old. If I am not on-board with them, it makes me a bit hesitant to buy another piece (amp) that is so old. My pre-amp was gutted and rebuilt about 8 years ago, and my turntable was heavily re-worked about 3 years ago (and it was new to begin with).

Beyond sound, McIntosh seems to have great service and parts availability. Is there a service schedule recommended for their products? Do they recommend something like every 10 years send your amp in for a re-fresh? Is that a question potential buyers should ask?

I understand that they are great amps, but that name has also driven up their prices. I am not a resell concerned buyer, but I do want to ask the right questions if two amps are sitting side by side at a similar price.

For the 2120 -- it seems perfect, but I have this aesthetic draw to MC2100 style. I do worry about the speaker binding posts, but so many have overcome that concern. I am sure that they do their job exceptionally well.
Once upon a time, I looked down on the Mc2100, thinking that it was an outdated amp. (Shows you what I know) :) I use one every day, (I have two) and it is clean, powerful, and very 'warm' sounding. It absolutely demolishes the Dyanco MkIII's that I used to own. It will likely outlive me.

Last edited:
It absolutely demolishes the Dyanco MkIII's that I used to own. It will likely outlive me.
It must be pretty good. I own a MC2150 which I have in my main system, and I love it. It's better than my Dynaco MkIII amps, but I wouldn't go as far as to say it "demolishes" them (hope that's not blasphemy in this forum!). Then again, the Dynaco's have been upgraded with the Tubes4hifi upgrade board so that may be the difference.

I bought a 2120 new. The lights do not work now. But it has been rock solid and will run any pair of speakers. I do plan to send it to Terry for a tune up. Hope you like and use your 2100 as much as I did my 2120.

First choose McIntosh - then choose the year.

Substitute "McIntosh" for "Cadillac" in the ad copy below.

That is all that needs to be said. ;)

il_570xN.845853492_pfav.jpg

Everyone here has been very helpful. Continuing to tell me good things about the 2100 helps ease my mind. I look forward to a long relationship with it.

I know that some of the caps have been replaced on this amp, but what is the recommended service interval on a MC2100? If it is like watches, there are two frames of thought -- service on set intervals like an oil change or service it only when something shows a sign of needing serviced. I've known a lot of Rolex owners over the years, and the proper service intervals are very debated. Rather than get into that debate, is there a service interval laid out by McIntosh for certain parts of their amplifiers?

Actually the MC2100 has 4, 8, and 16 ohm taps. You can try the 8 and the 16 with your speakers and see what you like better.

My dyslexic brain took the 16, dropped the 1, and placed it into order of 4/6/8. You are certainly correct -- the amp has 4,8,16.

Back
Top Bottom