Hunting for Preamps

DKMI

I've always gone integrated for amplification. That is, until I stumbled upon my B&K amp for a paltry $25. I've been using an NAD integrated as my preamp and have been watching CL in hopes of finding a good bargain on an actual dedicated preamp. I have a few problems. One, I wouldn't know a good preamp from a bad one. The other is that I don't want to spend a lot. That seems to always be a sticking point with separates. People who own them put a high value on them. Since they're so scarce on CL, I'm thinking about going the auction route. What would be a good, common model to search for? I want to go no higher than $100. All I'm finding locally is a Marantz AV600 with an $80 asking price. If it's a great preamp in stereo mode, I'd be game. But something tells me I should just focus on 2-channel. Am I nuts?

Congrats on the B&K "score," DKMI. Short answer: Search eBay for a B&K PT3 or preferably a PT5 preamp (it provides balanced XLR transfer from the preamp to the amp vs. the PT3's RCA-only interconnect options). Both will do a great job of transferring the input signal from the playback source to your B&K amplifier, have good build quality, and won't cost an arm and/or a leg to acquire.

Congrats on the B&K "score," DKMI. Short answer: Search eBay for a B&K PT3 or preferably a PT5 preamp (it provides balanced XLR transfer from the preamp to the amp vs. the PT3's RCA-only interconnect options). Both will do a great job of transferring the input signal from the playback source to your B&K amplifier, have good build quality, and won't cost an arm and/or a leg to acquire.
My amp doesn't have XLR connections. It's actually a 5-channel amp. I have some speakers that are bi-amp compatible, and was thinking that would be a great use of two of the extra channels. There's a PT5 on eBay but it's $300, which is out of my price range. I did search sold items and the PT3 definitely can be had for around $100. I have to say I'm pretty impressed with the build quality of my amp. I would think that a B&K pre would be a quality item as well. Thanks for the advice.

$100 max budget for a preamp is going to limit the choices drastically.

Add maybe $50-$100 to that and you will really open up your choices significantly.

And keep in mind if buying online shipping is going to enter into that equation as well,but good deals can still be found going that route.

One preamp I really like that can be found reasonably is the Kenwood Basic C1.
Plenty of respectable NAD standalone preamps in that price range as well (1000/1000s/106/1300/1130/1240 etc.).
Also lots of Adcom preamps (and pre-tuners) in the $100-$200 range as well.
Also some Denon preamps too,have occasionally seen PRA-1500 for these prices as well.

Point is it takes some patience and research to find the "under the radar" preamps that = affordable sonic gems.

Good luck here.

Bret P.

A decent stereo preamp can be had for around $100. many home theater processors made in early 2000s by quality mfg can be repurposed, and many have a "pure direct" analog bypass mode

I would look into lexicon, meridian, rotel, b&k etc usually they are advertised as pre/pros. I have even seen krell's "showcase" HT processors sell for less than $200....

used a lexicon cp3 as an analog preamp and it was excellent. Just make sure you can get the remote for these units without them they become paperweights as far as 2 channel.

A friend uses a meridian 561 as a pre and its excellent. Meridian makes great stuff and is dirt cheap 2nd hand now. I'm pretty sure in some of the lexicon/meridian units the analog and digital boards/PSU are actually separate which is great for 2 ch

check local classified & the bay, these units have a lot of negotiation potential as most are actually obsolete

here's a lexicon cp3 with remote that sold for around $140. not bad at all that unit that cost $3k new.. depreciation at its best

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lexicon-CP-...311195?hash=item51fafe275b:g:dFYAAOSwax5Y2auw

Keep an eye out on CL. I've hit the preamp jackpot lately with a bunch of Yamaha stuff (C2x, C2a, C80). If you can find a C80 you can use the inverted outputs to bridge 4 channels of your B&K if you were so inclined. I got one last week for $50 so the deals are around.

I'm already proof that this isn't true. ADS L1290 $40. B&K Sonata 5-channel amp: $25. Infinity CS3008: free. KEF 103/3: $100, which is the most I've spent.

Become an AK subscriber and put a WTB local only ad up and see what happens. Maybe someone local to you will take pity and hook you up.

Worth a shot.

Good luck

Eric

I don't think anyone needs to take pity on him. I think he needs to liberate one, or a couple of the scores he gloats about to establish a nest egg for a great preamp purchase. Putting together a solid system can sometimes benefit by changing or using multiple strategies to get where you want to be....unless it is important for him to brag about having the cheapest best system around.

I don't think anyone needs to take pity on him. I think he needs to liberate one, or a couple of the scores he gloats about to establish a nest egg for a great preamp purchase. Putting together a solid system can sometimes benefit by changing or using multiple strategies to get where you want to be....unless it is important for him to brag about having the cheapest best system around.
What's with your attitude? I didn't do anything to you. You called me cheap and said I shouldn't expect great sound on a budget. I just proved that one doesn't need to break the bank to find decent equipment. For whatever reason, you got butt hurt. You don't know anything about me. I look at other replies in this thread and people are telling me of really good stuff they know about in my price range. If you don't like my posts, use the ignore feature. It's very easy.

Personally, I'm on the hunt for the Harman Kardon Citation I for my system... one day..lol So I wish you luck for the quest for the right 2 channel preamplifier...
I just had to look that up to see what you were talking about. Looks like it might be a rather rare item. What era is that from? The styling looks like it could be as old as I am (49).

Become an AK subscriber and put a WTB local only ad up and see what happens. Maybe someone local to you will take pity and hook you up.

Worth a shot.

Good luck

Eric
That's actually a good idea. This place has been a fantastic resource for me and I should subscribe out of principle. I'm not hoping for someone to give me a good deal out of pity.

Keep an eye out on CL. I've hit the preamp jackpot lately with a bunch of Yamaha stuff (C2x, C2a, C80). If you can find a C80 you can use the inverted outputs to bridge 4 channels of your B&K if you were so inclined. I got one last week for $50 so the deals are around.
Thanks. You also just turned me into something I've never heard of. I had to look up what was meant by inverted outputs. That is a really cool feature. Coming from integrateds, that's one subject I've never dealt with.

I believe they date from the late '60s and very early '70s. Not entirely sure. I'm currently running my Epicure M4 but wish to move that into a separate Epicure system with a HK tube for my HK monos in my main system. I think a tube pre, mated with an ss power would be key toward bringing my particular system to the next level.. Just my opinions anyway...
Tube is another planet for me. I've never had the pleasure of hearing a decent tube component let alone comparing and contrasting them with SS.

Thanks. You also just turned me into something I've never heard of. I had to look up what was meant by inverted outputs. That is a really cool feature. Coming from integrateds, that's one subject I've never dealt with.

It's not a very common feature but since you already have a multi channel amp it could be useful.
I am planning on playing around with bridging amps once I get to a more high wattage friendly environment but the C80 is a good preamp either way. Generally the models lower down the line are closer to the price you're looking for but it seems you've got an eye for finding deals. The Yamaha CX preamps even have remotes which would be nice.
Adcom preamps seem to pop up somewhat regularly for good prices but I don't have any experience with them.

A decent stereo preamp can be had for around $100. many home theater processors made in early 2000s by quality mfg can be repurposed, and many have a "pure direct" analog bypass mode

I would look into lexicon, meridian, rotel, b&k etc usually they are advertised as pre/pros. I have even seen krell's "showcase" HT processors sell for less than $200....

used a lexicon cp3 as an analog preamp and it was excellent. Just make sure you can get the remote for these units without them they become paperweights as far as 2 channel.

A friend uses a meridian 561 as a pre and its excellent. Meridian makes great stuff and is dirt cheap 2nd hand now. I'm pretty sure in some of the lexicon/meridian units the analog and digital boards/PSU are actually separate which is great for 2 ch

check local classified & the bay, these units have a lot of negotiation potential as most are actually obsolete

here's a lexicon cp3 with remote that sold for around $140. not bad at all that unit that cost $3k new.. depreciation at its best

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lexicon-CP-...311195?hash=item51fafe275b:g:dFYAAOSwax5Y2auw
Wow. I just followed that link. The nice thing about HT is that you don't have to go back far for outdated. No matter how expensive it was originally, it has little value for HT. But for people who want for 2-channel, a bargain can be had.

Good luck, DK
I deduce you are in Michigan. Ann Arbor is a hotbed for gear.
Yes I am. Amazingly, I found everything in north Oakland county. But you're right about Ann Arbor. Every time I see ADS speakers, they seem to be Ann Arbor. Lots of neat stuff shows up from there but it's about 1.25 hours away from me. Takes real effort to go check stuff out.

@RDecartridge I found this on Facebook in the marketplace link in the app. It was there a long time. I wasn't in the market, but was curious about their sound. Even Novi is 45 mins away. I have a friend who wanted me to let him know when I find stuff, and I told him about it and he never contacted the guy. Two pairs for what I think should be the price of one. I should have posted this find here. We don't get tons of stuff around here, but what we do get is often a pretty nice deal.

IMG_4551.PNG

Back
Top Bottom