Hustler got me, or...

ETLS

metacarpophalangealcranium
Or should I say I got a new Hustler.

It was time to retire my 2010 Cub Cadet zero-turn mower. It's been a great mower, the Kawasaki engine has never given me any problem. The mowing deck was getting worn from all the hours of use and would run close to 500 bucks to replace.

Here's my new Hustler Raptor 54", man what a nice riding ZT. It also has the Kawasaki motor, the mowing deck is fabricated steel instead of stamped like the C.C. The spindles are much better quality (steel) instead of cast aluminum, and about half the cost. Not only are the blades less costly ($60 vs $80) than the C.C., but are thicker and more durable.

It's going to be a good mowing season.

Attachments

• Pic-04302015-001.jpg
    Pic-04302015-001.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 108
Fun times. I rebuilt some stuff on my crappy Troy-Bilt, and I have parts on order for the Toro push mower. Neither are particularly good quality, but its what I got at the moment and my yard is not especially huge. A friend is planning to restore a 1968 Cub Cadet 125 to give to me. I'm sort of looking forward to that.

How much are you mowing ?

I have two half acre lots, part of one has a creek splitting it in two, two elderly widows just up the street from me both have half acre lots. Both of them are pretty much gratis, as they are on fixed income. One has a son who tries to mow it, but isn't very often. I certainly don't turn down fresh baked goods when they make 'em.

I have 22 residentials (most in the country) and several commercial (smaller green space and planter areas mostly parking lot) properties I maintain on a regular basis. And one church.

The church is out in the country so the majority (5 acre tract) is grass. Probably 4 acres that I have to mow.

Probably a total of 30 + acres a week.

Last edited:
Built this bridge across my creek last year. Previously, it was like a frigging jungle. Greenbriar and wild grape vines were taking over.

Took down one large Hickory, couple of Oaks, and two Silver Maple.

Attachments

• bridge.jpg
    bridge.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 50
A work in progress...

Attachments

• bridge and greenhouse.jpg
    bridge and greenhouse.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 39
Looks good. Is the greenhouse a work in progress as well? A friend of mine built himself one, but couldn't keep it warm over the winter. He went too big without enough insulation or wood stove to maintain it in the Pennsylvania mountains over the winter. I think all the flowers and such he was growing died in a frost.

Didn't realize you were mowing so much, but I figured it had to be a decent amount of acerage to be able to consider the mower worn out. Most folks with a couple of acres aren't putting enough hours on their gear to wear it out in 4 seasons.

I'll have just a few hours per week to spend on finishing up the greenhouse this season. I'm glad I hadn't skinnned it yet. One of my hoops was broken from a falling tree limb in an earlier storm.

For heating mine, I'll be using a modified Jean Pain system. It's basically a sealed anaerobic digester. For this application, I'll only be harvesting the natural gas for heating the greenhouse.

Future project I have in mind will be to use the natural slope on the back of my property to set up an ebb and flow growing system.

Nice. The first thing that I checked was that it had a beer holder. My old MTD has none.

Nice mower! When I first clicked on the thread I thought I was going to read about a shady used car salesman.

Beer holder....check.

Filling beer can with dust and debris while mowing.... no good.

I did get almost $500 off list price with cash in hand. So I'm happy.

I loaded up the Cub Cadet on my landscaping trailer, and drove the thirty miles to the new owner's property.

Damn starter quit. We had to roll it off the trailer. I'll pick up a new one Monday for him. Chit happens.

congrats.. seat time is prescious.. never, ever give yo tractor key to the wifey, will deff cut into seat time :yes: .. and bettin' the 2010 ain't all wore out and needin' retirement.. lol .. to justify a new :) .. enjoy the summer/season :thmbsp:

Hbar

Oh yes, that 2010 Cub Cadet has seen its better days. I wore out countless sets of blades, two sets of deck spindles, front axle shafts and bearings could stand to be replaced and the deck baffles definitely need replacing.... Motor is still strong. The deck and drive belts have held up well.

I replaced both belts, spindles have less than 100 hours on them, and when I head back over to new owner's place, we'll work on changing out axles, bearings and the deck baffles. It should be good to go for quite a while with once a week use now.

One of the three properties on today's schedule.

Attachments

• Pic-05022015-001.jpg
    Pic-05022015-001.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 13
  • Pic-05022015-002.jpg
    Pic-05022015-002.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 12
I have a Scott`s Model 2554 (25-HP Kohler twin, 54-inch cut), built by John Deere. (Scott`s specified that they wanted all American-made parts used, so mine is a step or two above the "big-box store" JDs).

Attachments

• 2012-05-29 12.01.52.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 8
  • 2012-05-29 12.01.09.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 6
Nice looking mower Maxx. 54" cut sure helps reduce the time spent on chores.

After spending the day mowing two of my largest properties, and a third smaller one, the only thing so far as a downside to the Hustler, is the gas tank size. I have 3.5 hours on the meter, had to use my on board 2.5 gas can to refill around 2.75 hours.

The comfort factor, great. Speed, great. Cut quality, also great. Now if they made a string trimmer with a seat....

Back
Top Bottom