I’m 20. This is my system. Any thoughts?

Those Luxman M-4000's are a piece of junk!!!:p

How's Craigville Pizza & Mexican doing? they still dishing out the good food?

FWIW, I had a pair of brand new B&W speakers when I was 20 alas I do not remember what amp or receiver I was using though

Last edited:
Very sweet setup. It must have taken a lot of effort to understand how to acquire and set up this system. At 60+ I understand how to do this but not at 20. You should probably build on this technical skill (Electrical Engineering is for you). In contrast, at 20 I was homeless. I stole food from super markets to survive, and slept on the floor of a friend's apartment (lucky I had such an option). I had no possessions, except the clothes on my back. I was eventually able to go to college and earned an engineering degree, though it was a struggle. Build on your passion and create big goals! God knows that we need people with such skills and ambitions for our future (to even have a future, actually)! Hey, high quality audio is not a hobby its a passion that leads to achieving greatness (if you dare to envision it).

Furthur! (Yup that is the name of the bus in my icon; its Ken Kesey's bus - the one that they used for the across the country acid test bus.) Look at the top of the picture, yes it is a miss-spelling.

I would take a deep breath and enjoy what you have. It looks like a great set up and at your age there is no reason to spend more money on improving your gear. Wait and learn what it is you wish to chase, then very carefully select that item. At your age I wuld advise that you are better off putting some money into the bank rather than capital expenditures. You already have a better system than many here, realx and enjoy the ,music that is the most important aspect of this addiction.

At,twenty i only had a crappy portable radio casette player. Didn't know how good music really sounds like on a really good set up until pretty recently.

I'd say you're on a highway to audio nirvana by the way your gear looks. Congratulations.

Very nice system to really enjoy your favorite music.
I likewise caught the audiophile bug early and by 20 I had a very good 'system of the day' in the early '70s. I really enjoyed what is now called 'classic rock'...Led Zep, Who, Stones, Foghat, Cream, Crosby/Stills/Nash, ELP, Yes, King Crimson, etc.
I had Harmon Kardan Citation 11 preamp, Sony STA-F3200 power amp, Thorens TD125 turntable/Sure SME 3009 tonearm/ Stanton 681EE cartridge, Scott 312D FM tuner, double-Advent loudspeakers

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for your comments and thoughts. It really means a lot to me. It's really amazing to me how kind everyone on this forum is.

As for my room, I will be placing a rug on the floor directly in front of the speakers and stereo rack to absorb reflections. I will also be constructing mineral wool panels to hang on the walls around my room and also some bass traps for the corners. I'm not sure how much longer i will be living at this house, so I'm not going to go balls out with the project, but I will do it right. As of now, the reflections and resonance of the room are not ideal. It doesn't sound bad, but it could just use a lot of improvement.
The only other thing that has to be done is a full restoration of the Sansui AU-11000 and the Luxman M-4000, as well as the KEF 104/2's

You guys seem to have had some pretty decent kit when you were my age as well. Cool! I'm glad that I'm not the only one who has developed early onset audiophilia :music:

Those Luxman M-4000's are a piece of junk!!!:p

How's Craigville Pizza & Mexican doing? they still dishing out the good food?

FWIW, I had a pair of brand new B&W speakers when I was 20 alas I do not remember what amp or receiver I was using though
They're doing great! I go there every once in a while. Always good food. Cheers!

I'm pretty sure at 20 I had like an 8 track console system..ha. That is awesome!

Similarly, all I can remember at 20 that I had for audio was a cheap BSR (I know... that's redundant) turntable, some nameless 8-track tape player... and, for the life of me I can't recall a thing about what I used to power that stuff.

Hack... unbelievable collection of quality stuff. Glad you have such an interest in audio reproduction at 20. You have many years of enjoyment ahead.

I think your choice of preamplifier is great depending on what amp you match it up to. To get all the potential sonics from that preamp you have to have a great amp, The Kenny is a great beginner amp and not a great match for that preamp, if your looking for an improvement in sound without busting the bank. There is an amp that was mentioned on this forum before vinyl got popular again....a few years before infact, it was the Yamaha MX-1000 and the thread suggested that the MX-1000 was probably the best amp ever without price point being involved. Compared to the best by people that owned the MX-1000 and an expensive new amp that were in a state of disbelief that their MX-1000 was more than keeping up. You can check the website search and read about the MX-1000 right cause I’m not blowing smoke and trying to convince you it’s fog !!!

Nice set up friend! Looks like you already have one of the most important components a system can have: a decent, workable room to set up the gear in.

Interesting trying to think exactly what I was using when I was 20... my set up was a Denon CD player, a Rotel RX-1050, and B&W CDM1NTs. Then in this bonus room at my parents house I rigged up a sweet set up with a Marantz 1200B (I got this in non functioning form when I was maybe 17ish. I thought I was sooo cool at the time, because I poorly repaired it and got it working haha!) running Altec Model 7s, and some Harmon Kardon CD player I got for a few bucks that worked... sometimes haha. Such happy days. Things were simple... in a good way. I guess that wasn’t all that long ago.

Enjoy your audio journey my friend! Your future is bright.

I think your choice of preamplifier is great depending on what amp you match it up to. To get all the potential sonics from that preamp you have to have a great amp, The Kenny is a great beginner amp and not a great match for that preamp, if your looking for an improvement in sound without busting the bank. There is an amp that was mentioned on this forum before vinyl got popular again....a few years before infact, it was the Yamaha MX-1000 and the thread suggested that the MX-1000 was probably the best amp ever without price point being involved. Compared to the best by people that owned the MX-1000 and an expensive new amp that were in a state of disbelief that their MX-1000 was more than keeping up. You can check the website search and read about the MX-1000 right cause I’m not blowing smoke and trying to convince you it’s fog !!!
Thanks for the input... Funny you mention the MX-1000. I'm fairly familiar with it. A close friend has one in his collection. He had to have the whole thing restored. They are apparently very finicky and unreliable if not babied. I've listened to his before. Definitely not something I'd consider replacing the L-07M's with. Super cool amplifier though.

I think I had a JVC boombox in my first apartment.

vintage-jvc-rc-550jw-boombox-huge_1_3bca9e53a05e172c1722f2266a879796.jpg

My most important audio at age 20 were guitar amps, microphones and PA's.
I did have a killer car stereo (1971 Buick Skylark) with an amp/EQ + AM/FM cassette deck + JBL 6x9 2-ways, that were fantastic mounted atop the back deck with that big trunk for a bass box.
My friends heard me coming from half a mile away cranking Judas Priest, Pink Floyd or Hendrix!

Very nice system u got there congrats m8.
Oh gosh when I was 20 all my £ wasted on girls and parties :biggrin:. Thath time i had no need for a good sys because i was listening live almost every weekend ;).

Enjoy it as long as u keep them :beerchug:

Oh i forgot to say bud room acoustic very very important makes a HUGE difference every way.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom