I’m 20. This is my system. Any thoughts?

Great "start"'. Speakers give you the most "change" for the buck. Put as many as you can in the system and throw everything you have at them.

Thank you everyone for your comments and thoughts. It really means a lot to me. It's really amazing to me how kind everyone on this forum is.

You've got that right. You post something like this in some other sites and you'll be accused of "humblebragging". I've seen some spirited discussions round here but almost always about technicalities and not about one's system as such. I would've never learned what I have if not for the helpful members on this site.

Nice system--much nicer than mine at age 20, but that was four decades ago, and I was living in a fraternity house (so nobody had anything "real nice"--it just needed to be loud and pretty bullet-proof), Enjoy it while you can! :thumbsup: All too soon, life will get in the way--"real job", marriage, car payments, rent/mortgages, a few moves for work, and maybe even kids. Up until the last decade or so, the "best" cars and audio gear that I have owned was back in my teens/20's--then life gets in the way and priorities get altered--have fun while you can--it will come back around, even if you have to put it on the back-burner for a while.

My system when I was 20 consisted a boombox similar to this Sony. I was very proud of it and took it to the park and beach on many occasions!

Sony CFD440.jpg

Last edited:
Very cool indeed. You are literally the only person of that age group that I have seen with a system. Keep doing what you are doing.
Of course I had a system when I was 20, and so did some of my friends. But now days????
Nice to see something like this.

Nice setup, I like your Kenwood, I used to have the same pair before. But when I was 20, I only had a Sony Walkman cassettes player, nothing serious like your.
Enjoy :)

Very nice system. It looks well set up, and it's clear you've put a lot of thought into it. I was well down the rabbit hole too when I was 20, having Magnepan speakers, home made tube amps, Thorens turntable, etc. It seems to me that where there's a will there's a way.

Hey all. I figured I’d post some photos of my gear for everyone that might me interested. I personally love to see other people’s systems. It gives me inspiration to improve my own. I’m currently only 20 and have a lot to learn, but I’m slowly getting to where I want to be.

View attachment 1340034

My setup consists of the following.

Amplification:
My current amplifiers are a pair of Kenwood L-07M monoblocks. I had them both serviced from top to bottom. They are both using the original output transistors and sound incredible. They seem to be pretty sought after; for good reason. The sound that these amplifers give off is like no other I’ve ever heard before. Effortless depth and honesty. That’s the best way I can describe them. I don’t think I’m going to be replacing them any time soon. Total utilitarian sleepers!
I also have a Luxman M-4000 Stereo power amplifier. I’m not currently using it but I occasionally switch between them. I can say that I like the Kenwoods a lot more than the Luxman when it comes to overall sound quality. The Luxman is still no slouch though.

View attachment 1340038
View attachment 1340036

Preamplifier:
Currently using a Sansui AU-11000 as a preamplifier. I absolutely love it to pieces. It sounds phenomenal, and is a great match to the L-07M’s. Is it the best candidate for a preamp? Probably not. But I’m enjoying it thoroughly. Plus, it’s a real head turner.

View attachment 1340035

Speakers:
Right now I’m using a pair of Canton Ergo 70’s. One of my all time favorite speakers. If only I had the bigger brother to them.
Crystal clear highs, and very surprising low end, especially for the size of the drivers. They have a very life like midrange quality to them as well.

View attachment 1340039

I have a pair of KEF 104/2’s in my collection as well which I’m going to be switching to soon. I have a pair of Morel MDT-29 tweeters on the way to replace the originals. One of the originals blew out when I unplugged one of the interconnects for the amplifer. (Apparently the Kenwood L-07Ms are notorious for sending out a very high current signal when the interconnects are unplugged. I learned the hard way.)

Cables:
I like Tara Labs cables. Great for the money (second hand)
Extremely good build quality with looks and sound quality to back them up.
For interconnects I’m using a pair of RSC Air 1 Series 2 cables.
For speaker wire I’m using a pair of Space and Time Quantum Reference cables.

View attachment 1340044
View attachment 1340045

Sources:
I use everything from CD’s to FLACs to Tidal HiFi, even FM. I also have a decent vinyl collection, but I’m still looking for the right turntable to use.

Thanks so much for looking and reading along. I’d love to hear your opinions and advice. I’d also like to hear what gear you were using when you were around my age.
Hey all. I figured I’d post some photos of my gear for everyone that might me interested. I personally love to see other people’s systems. It gives me inspiration to improve my own. I’m currently only 20 and have a lot to learn, but I’m slowly getting to where I want to be.

View attachment 1340034

Amplification:
My current amplifiers are a pair of Kenwood L-07M monoblocks. I had them both serviced from top to bottom. They are both using the original output transistors and sound incredible. They seem to be pretty sought after; for good reason. The sound that these amplifers give off is like no other I’ve ever heard before. Effortless depth and honesty. That’s the best way I can describe them. I don’t think I’m going to be replacing them any time soon. Total utilitarian sleepers!
I also have a Luxman M-4000 Stereo power amplifier. I’m not currently using it but I occasionally switch between them. I can say that I like the Kenwoods a lot more than the Luxman when it comes to overall sound quality. The Luxman is still no slouch though.

View attachment 1340038
View attachment 1340036

Preamplifier:
Currently using a Sansui AU-11000 as a preamplifier. I absolutely love it to pieces. It sounds phenomenal, and is a great match to the L-07M’s. Is it the best candidate for a preamp? Probably not. But I’m enjoying it thoroughly. Plus, it’s a real head turner.

View attachment 1340035

Speakers:
Right now I’m using a pair of Canton Ergo 70’s. One of my all time favorite speakers. If only I had the bigger brother to them.
Crystal clear highs, and very surprising low end, especially for the size of the drivers. They have a very life like midrange quality to them as well.

View attachment 1340039

I have a pair of KEF 104/2’s in my collection as well which I’m going to be switching to soon. I have a pair of Morel MDT-29 tweeters on the way to replace the originals. One of the originals blew out when I unplugged one of the interconnects for the amplifer. (Apparently the Kenwood L-07Ms are notorious for sending out a very high current signal when the interconnects are unplugged. I learned the hard way.)

Cables:

View attachment 1340044
View attachment 1340045

Sources:
I use everything from CD’s to FLACs to Tidal HiFi, even FM. I also have a decent vinyl collection, but I’m still looking for the right turntable to use.

Thanks so much for looking and reading along. I’d love to hear your opinions and advice. I’d also like to hear what gear you were using when you were around my age.
Kenwood.... who knew? i recently picked up a pair of Kenwood LS 403 a’s because I can’t stop pain speakers. I had no expectations for them and they’re literally stopped me in my tracks. they’re all I want to listen to lately. The perfectly balanced In one position to correctly make the whole room, live with sound as though the room itself or the speaker. I’m deathly going to be looking into more older Kenwood equipment.

Unfortunately I haven’t won the lottery haha
I work roughly 60 hours a week between two jobs and try to save as much money as I can to use toward my hobby. Everything you see has been paid for by myself.
I love the 1060 by the way. It’s a great little amplifer.
Way to go. At 23 I financed an Audio Research D76A, SP 3A, Magnepan 1C Speakers, and Rabco ST7 turntable for 3 years, like you would a car. I don’t recommend doing that, but based on what you are doing, you will be in high end heaven in short time. WELL DONE!

Very nice system! The only suggestion I can possibly make is to try and find yourself a nice L-07C or Cll to pair with your L-07Ms. I managed to score an L-07Cll to pair with my L-09Ms, and it really does bring out the best of them. Enjoy what you have already put together, it's light years better than what I had at your age.:bowdown:

View attachment 1340034

Amplification:

View attachment 1340038
View attachment 1340036

Preamplifier:

View attachment 1340035

Speakers:

View attachment 1340039

Cables:

View attachment 1340044
View attachment 1340045

Sources:

I'd give my system, but I'm not even 20 yet. Lol
I've got modded Klipsch Klf 20s that I biamp with a McIntosh 250 for the highs and a Bryston 4b for the lows. I would recommend atleast putting a rug down to help with those reflections. Besides room treatment you're set. Try and find a solid bang for your buck TT also since vinyl will spoil you. Nice system!

Pretty sweet set up for sure. As mentioned earlier I would look into a substantial speaker upgrade and you would have a system that will provide you with years of pleasure. At 20 I was into girls and car audio. Alpine was the king of the world then and I remember when I picked up my 78 Z28 from a place in town called Rolling Thunder after I had the full Alpine system installed. Man I miss that green glow in the dash! Friggin rocked too.

Kenwood.... who knew? i recently picked up a pair of Kenwood LS 403 a’s because I can’t stop pain speakers. I had no expectations for them and they’re literally stopped me in my tracks. they’re all I want to listen to lately. The perfectly balanced In one position to correctly make the whole room, live with sound as though the room itself or the speaker. I’m deathly going to be looking into more older Kenwood equipment.

Boy! - I need to stop posting while im sober...how embarrassing.

When I was 20 my system was pretty good, much better than most people I knew whether they were my age or older (many of them were using those Sony all in ones you could get at walmart). I've upgraded quite a lot in the last eight years, but your system tops mine by a long shot! :rockon:

LOL, my only "negative comment??" Is that a "Salamander Rack??" Seems "freakishly tall???" Other than that, I would say outstanding!! And I would add as ... life moves on and stuff changes, ... "Keep it, keep it all." :)

The one piece, I still have before twenty is my Visonic Sub One! Orthophone

Two way speakers my freaking brothers blew up! My Philips "210" watt, Power Amp was stolen and my Advent 300 went belly up?? Hmm oh I still have the Denon TT, and Grado Cartridge, forgot about that!

And I remember those Kenwood amps when they were new!! I lied the sound but two mono amp ... seemed kinda weird to me at the time?? Well ... to be honest ... it still does. But very nice system at any rate, well done sir! :)

Back
Top Bottom