I am APPROVED for Surgery... (update, 8/2/18)

jcamero

Who are you people anyway?
...According to the letter I just received from my insurance company. Around Memorial Day, while mowing the lawn, I tore my meniscus tendon in my left knee. Since then, 2 Dr.'s visits, 1 MRI, 2 sets of X-rays, a visit to an Orthopedic Surgeon. 2 weeks from today, and I'll have the surgery. It will be an "Out Patient" procedure, so about 5 hours of hospital time. I've never looked more forward to this procedure. The pain is at times unbearable. I am afraid to sleep in fear my knee will "lock up", (it has a few times), and getting it moving is not really very enjoyable. I watched a You Tube video, very interesting on how it's done. I am not worried at all about it, but not a fan of General Anesthesia. I usually get nauseas when waking. Other than that, I will be good to go the following day, as long as I take it easy.

I had meniscus surgery about 10yrs ago. Recovery time was pretty quick. Important to keep the knee iced for a couple/few days after surgery. I had one of the machines that looks like a cooler than circulates cold water to a knee pad wrapped around your knee and keeps it cold but not too icy.

Good luck and take it easy afterwards.

i just got diagnosed by my local herbalist the local medic . then the local doctor of tendinitis .. symptom swollen right foot . i wake some night nights locked up part of my leg . it hurts for sure . i blamed it on cramp . now i am not sure .

Wife had meniscus fixed about 10 years ago.
Can’t tollorate the good meds so she suffered and whined about pain.

She just got a total knee replacement. Got used to the Oxy and eats those all day.

Got the ice machine water cooler thing. Works great but eats ice and you need to empty the water.

Ice is your friend.

Physical theropy is the ticket and you may hate that.

Pfft. Lightweight. :biggrin::rolleyes:

At 28, had an ACL replacement and trimmed up the medial meniscus. That was rough.

You'll be fine, good sir. Here's to your return to pain-free movement!

I had one of the machines that looks like a cooler than circulates cold water to a knee pad wrapped around your knee and keeps it cold but not too icy.

I have one of those, don't remember if it came from my mom or her ex but both have had knee repairs. I've used it when my knee got tweaked for whatever reason. This one has no pump, you have to sit it on the floor to drain water out of the pad and then pick it back up to flow fresh cold water back in, but it works great.

Best of luck on the repair. Do the physical therapy afterward too or it won't go well. I've known multiple people who have gotten this done, and the ones that didn't go to PT did not have good results.

It's fixable and you will survive. I don't care what I get/catch as long as these two criteria are met. Best wishes for speedy recovery.

You did not mention your age, but the statistics for medicare show that knee surgery is the most common surgery of people after age 65. I had both knees replaced last year, not at the same time. My insurance paid all of it except my out of pocket limit of $1350 for the first knee and then all of it for the second one. The exercises afterward were way worse than the surgery itself. I'm glad for you that the insurance company did not fight you on this. I hope your surgery and after recovery goes well. Be well.

They seem to have made some real advances in anesthesia, especially for outpatient procedures-including general anesthesia. Should start you out w/ some kind of anti-anxiety stuff which will leave you feeling normal but unworried by the upcoming event. May add some anti-nausea stuff and then a knockout medication which you won't see coming and will leave you suddenly awake, aware, and comfortable. Where you have to use some sense is to not see how much post-op pain you can stand before you take a reasonable dose of pain stuff after the op stuff wears off. You don't chase the pain, you stay on top of it. Pain is a great enemy of healing. Take what you need and let your body tell you when it is time to cut loose w/the new improved you. Good Luck.

Good deal. Say jcamero, just tell the anethsthetist and they should give you something that will help that before you awake.
What Spiceman50 said tell the anesthesiologist about the nausea they will give you a shot in the IV to keep you from feeling sick. I have had both knees operated on and the first one I got home and puked my guts out for a couple hours not fun with a freshly filleted knee. Second knee a few months later let them know I got sick and what ever they gave me worked no nausea at all.

Back
Top Bottom