I am APPROVED for Surgery... (update, 8/2/18)

I had one of the machines that looks like a cooler than circulates cold water to a knee pad wrapped around your knee and keeps it cold but not too icy.
I had one of those machines for my rotator cuff surgery. Instead of using bags of ice, buy a case of those small water bottles and freeze them. I put 6 in at a time and kept 12 more in the freezer so I could rotate and refreeze. Cheaper and less messy than ice. Now my son is using the machine and water bottles for his broken leg.

Best wishes for a speed recovery!

Plus one on the icing machine, the best one (ime) is called the Breg Polarcare (follow the instructions as you can overdo it and get frostbitten) I purchased mine on eBay used for a good price.

Best of luck on your surgery and recovery.

Regards, Bob

...According to the letter I just received from my insurance company. Around Memorial Day, while mowing the lawn, I tore my meniscus tendon in my left knee. Since then, 2 Dr.'s visits, 1 MRI, 2 sets of X-rays, a visit to an Orthopedic Surgeon. 2 weeks from today, and I'll have the surgery. It will be an "Out Patient" procedure, so about 5 hours of hospital time. I've never looked more forward to this procedure. The pain is at times unbearable. I am afraid to sleep in fear my knee will "lock up", (it has a few times), and getting it moving is not really very enjoyable. I watched a You Tube video, very interesting on how it's done. I am not worried at all about it, but not a fan of General Anesthesia. I usually get nauseas when waking. Other than that, I will be good to go the following day, as long as I take it easy.
Welcome to the torn meniscus club! I had mine done better than 20 years ago via arthroscopic surgery and everything went well. I hated getting a G.A. as well, but they typically insist on it, so I let it be. G.A. is not too bad but I hated the loss of mental control prior to admin with the juice they hit you with; I recall babbling like an idiot prior to the going out.

Good luck and take it easy!

I hope everything goes well with your upcoming surgery. I had a similarly long wait to have two meniscus tears in my right knee trimmed out in February. I recommend getting physical therapy even if the surgeon doesn't think its needed. Most don't prescribe it but I insisted and I think I am better off. Also, they may fill your knee with an anesthetic after the procedure that will last about 24 hours so don't overdue it even if it feels great. It won't when that stuff wears off. Last recommendation: make up a few quart ziplock freezer bags with a 4:1 ration of water to 91% isopropyl alcohol and freeze them ahead of time; great reusable ice packs. Best of luck!

First, thank you for all the positive well wishes. It meant a lot in anticipation for todays procedure. I was in an out of the hospital in 4 hours today. All aspects went as smooth as silk. They administered a "calming" medicine prior to the ride to the OR. I have zero memory leaving my pre-surgery room. The next thing I remember was waking up in the recovery room. Yes, I do have a manageable amount of pain, especially standing, but lying down, with my knee iced, and a dose of Oxycodone and Tylenol wipes the pain, and me out. I'm going to take it easy for the next few days, and then start PT Tuesday. My first LP to spin will be John Mayall's, "The Turning Point". Again, I'd just like to say thanks for the well wishes, it makes a difference.

PT= Physical Terrorism. Been there, done that, still doing it, got the ill fitting T shirt,the rehab, the battle scars. Take it gently, slowly, on the road to being back to full strength.

Good Luck and heal fast.

It SUCKS! that needed procedures need to wait on the bureaucracy of insurance companies. I hate that.

Take care of yourself.

We have an AK brother who just lost his legs outright. Pain in legs retained is a downright good thing. Lean into the PT, as much as your therapist says is right. Pain now is freedom later. I'm not down playing what you are going through. I'm just trying to motivate you get back as much as you possibly can. Look the monster in the eye and kick him in the chonies. Take it back brother, by force if necessary.

Good luck,
Rich P

Back
Top Bottom