I am not the brightest

Gmm213

So I figured Id put this here since its just banter. For the last two or so days Ive been having some issues with skipping on my turntable. I played with the weight and tracking a little. Even purchased a brand new re issue of the Stooges Fun House. I thought it was the turntable itself, its an older Sherwood that I got for free. Its been maintained but the one RCA chord is shot. It was annoying but I lived with it.

Today just chilling on the couch and my wife came down the stairs and the dang thing skipped. It really was starting to get to me. Then later I brushed the shelf barely and it skipped. I finally realized that its the fact my apt is jenky and the shelf is fairly unstable. Not enough to visibly see movement but enough that my son running around or even the neighbors dog running can make it skip.

I have gotten so used to digital that I forgot that just movement can make things skip (I got my first CD to skip in years when I got t-boned last month)

Another thing that can make your table skip a lot is a worn out suspension for the cartridge cantilever and or to much tracking force.

When the cantilever suspension gets weak the cartridge can bottom out on the record and bounce, adding more tracking force to a weak suspension only makes it worse.

Back
Top Bottom