I am on the Jazz wagon for awhile,,I found:

WhiteSE

Is Lute Gluten Free??
Subscriber
Well, i went to the Wax N' Things in Atlanta and came away with the following:
1. This was a risk, as I dont know the guy, but I was intrigued and it was Direct to Disk and mentions using a Neumann VG-66 cutting amplifiers that purred,,so I said, what the heck!! Its guitarrist Tommy Tedesco's AUTUMN, recorded in 1978 by the Trend label.
I am listening to it right now, and I am enjoying it quite a bit,,,vey clean sound. (plus i love it when they use paper lined with plastic inner sleeves.

2. Lionel Hampton's Golden Vibes with reeds and rythm,,by Coumbia, Its a 6 eyes mono (CL 1304) red label...the vinyl appears to have never been played,,,only the jacket shows age...

3. Charles Mingus AH UM,,,Columbia 6 Eyes,,,red label (CS 8171) vinyl and label are super mint...

4. Dave Brubek's Time Out by the DB Quartet,,,Columbia 6 eyes (CS 8192),,,there was a reissue also, but the cover wasnt as sturdy nor the vinyl, so I went with the original...for 2.50 more...

How many of you have the willpower to leave a cool LP at the store???

Oh man, do I know what you mean!!

My finds today all have extremely well worn jackets, but the vinyl is too smooth:

Newport 1958, The Dave Brubeck Quartet, Columbia CS 8082
Getz/Gilberto, Verve V-8545
Martin Denny, Exotica Vols. I, II, and III, Liberty LST 7034, 7006, and 7116

My Dad got me hooked on Mr. Denny years ago. Can't shake that "jungle" music.

Peace

I have the Verve reissue on CD of that Getz/Gilberto,,,I just cant get into it...not my thang....

wanna trade?

:D

There is so much great jazz from the 40's, 50's and 60's. It's almost a sin to have the word jazz after the word smooth. Sonic wallpaper is a better term if I may say so.

Toasted Almond

Yes, you are correct again. I feel the same way about pre-70's blues from Lightnin' Hopkins, Howlin' Wolf, Mississippi John Hurt, John Lee Hooker, et al. They played and recorded some of the best sounds under the worst conditions for less than squat in earnings. A universe apart from the commerical performer and product of today. I raise my Bourbon and water to you, good Sir!

Back
Top Bottom