I am PO'd off, big time! Racoons tore apart my bird house!

I ALMOST shot a chipmunk that was burrowing all over my back yard. I have a Remington 597 .22 long. Was going to just stick it out of a window and pop, its dead. Watched it run from the patio to its primary hole. I had read that really hot hot sauces make them go away too. So I put 1/2 a bottle of "Dave's Insanity Sauce" in a few cups of water and poured THAT down the hole. The stuff irritated my nose and eyes even outside before I dumped it down the hole. Never saw it again.

Bluebirds 005.jpg Last fall I moved our Bluebird box from the fence to a large Pin Oak in our backyard. I lost 2 broods last year due to a snake that somehow could climb the fence and slither on the top runner behind the fence and get into the box. I caught the snake the 2nd time around coming out and took care of him but too late.
This year since moving the box from the fence to the tree I've had the 1st brood of 2 out of 4 fledge on the 6th of May and today 3 of the 5 eggs have hatched from the 2nd brood. If everything stays good, I'm expecting all 5 to make it out by the middle - end of June at the latest.
That's 'Daddy' perched on the box.
This is what we like to call "a simple pleasure in life" and its worth alot.

When we bought this place in 1986, there was nothing around but flat farm ground. We planted a row of Italian Cypress on the back property line for a wind block and a little privacy. Now, there is a 240 acre almond orchard directly behind us, with in excess of 20 owl boxes to help keep the rodent population down. For some reason, the locals prefer our trees instead.

owls.jpg

I don't mink the owl balls left on the ground, and the occasional gopher head on the sidewalk. I can even tolerate their endless screeching at night during mating season. But lately one or two of them have started divebombing my wife if she takes the garbage out after dark.

Next time, they will meet my Rossi 20ga.

When we bought this place in 1986, there was nothing around but flat farm ground. We planted a row of Italian Cypress on the back property line for a wind block and a little privacy. Now, there is a 240 acre almond orchard directly behind us, with in excess of 20 owl boxes to help keep the rodent population down. For some reason, the locals prefer our trees instead.

View attachment 1199507

I don't mink the owl balls left on the ground, and the occasional gopher head on the sidewalk. I can even tolerate their endless screeching at night during mating season. But lately one or two of them have started divebombing my wife if she takes the garbage out after dark.

Next time, they will meet my Rossi 20ga.

Wow..... they are beautiful.. and perhaps "wise" enough to stay out of the range of your ballistic deterrent ;)

Wow..... they are beautiful.. and perhaps "wise" enough to stay out of the range of your ballistic deterrent ;)
I have an old BB gun that is so weak you can watch the BBs after you shoot it. I might use it as a "deterrent" instead. I know where they are in the trees. A garden hose with a good nozzle might wake them up.:thumbsup:

I have an old BB gun that is so weak you can watch the BBs after you shoot it. I might use it as a "deterrent" instead. I know where they are in the trees. A garden hose with a good nozzle might wake them up.:thumbsup:

I have to comment, the hose reminded me - a couple of decades ago when I was biking a particular road, there were a couple of loose dog that chased me. They'd sure act viscous but I was never bitten.
But here's the deal - they'd run close to my leg snarling and snapping - I found if I squirted water exactly at the right time, I could shoot water down their throats. LOL! while they were running, breathing hard, I'd squirt water right down the hole - LOL, they'd practically crash trying to get a breath. Ha, I still laugh thinking about it. But they didn't quit, they'd still come out to chase, stubborn bastards.

OK, four more interesting notes that ties into topics in this thread. Read into it what you will.

Under current Iowa laws...

If I shot the dogs, I'd be charged and probably just pay a fine and restitution.
If I were run over by a car due to the teen looking at his phone, $600 and 30 days in jail if teen claims "I didn't see him"
If owner of dogs came out, and I shot him, after $$$ legal fees, I'd not spend time in jail due to "stand your ground".
If you're a cop and a dog threatens you, and you attempt to shoot the dog but instead kill the homeowner, no problem. No charges.

Sure, some nuances to the scenarios above, but that's the way it works - if you doubt me - check news history. But to tie it all together, this is why I think killing should be the last option. (the car killing cyclist didn't really belong but oh well).

I have to comment, the hose reminded me - a couple of decades ago when I was biking a particular road, there were a couple of loose dog that chased me. They'd sure act viscous but I was never bitten.
But here's the deal - they'd run close to my leg snarling and snapping - I found if I squirted water exactly at the right time, I could shoot water down their throats. LOL! while they were running, breathing hard, I'd squirt water right down the hole - LOL, they'd practically crash trying to get a breath. Ha, I still laugh thinking about it. But they didn't quit, they'd still come out to chase, stubborn bastards.
That ain't right.
I don't know which is worse, though - you actually doing it or me finding it funny.:rflmao:

arrives on friday.
and, a tin of these coming along as well https://www.amazon.com/Terminator-H...909&sr=8-1&keywords=.22+cal+terminator+pellet
I was so impressed with the .177 version that I had to get them for the new plinker.
I bought a tin of those for my .177 Crosman and also liked them so much I bought another tin of them for the Ruger. Those puppies are rippers!
One thing I've learned with the air rifles I've owned is that I need to sight them in with the ammo I'm going to shoot in them. Seems like just switching from one to the other really affects the accuracy and I believe accuracy counts more than fps.
I'm test driving a tin of these copper alloys right now and they are very good!
Gamo 632282154 Luxor CU Sharp Pyramid Hunting Pellets 0.22 Caliber, 100 Count

Last edited:
These 5 little BBs started hatching out Sunday/Monday. This is the 2nd go around for our BB pair this year and
I expect these to fledge within the next 2 weeks. Once they leave the nest there is not much else I can do for them but it always makes me feel like a proud poppa regardless.Babby BBs 5-2018 001.jpg Babby BBs 5-2018 002.jpg

Ridiculous comments here proposing guns. For Christ sake, I have raccoons coming up to my backdoor at night looking for handouts. And guess what? They get em. If the birds were taken at night, the racoons are healthy. . I'd feel bad for the birds too, I get it because I put up houses also. But they're high enough. Although I've seen racoons on top of my wooden porch roof. Everyone is welcome. I couldn't read some of the comments here.

Final observation. I buried one of my cats in December. Two weeks ago, she was dug up, laying over there about 10 feet from the grave. Buried her again. Dug up again. Now I placed slate stone over it. Raccoons. Oh well. I'm not gonna blaze away at em.
I had a next door neighbor that fed the raccoons. We got along really well and still did afterwards. I asked him to stop because I knew how destructive and mean they can be. He just aw-shucks it saying they're cute They got into my carport storage and into the attic.They had to climb the minivan to gain access through a door in the ceiling. Attracting raccoons to your door is a really bad idea and invites trouble for you your neighbors and the raccoons. I had 3 young kids living there and if I had an air rifle at the time I'd of plugged every one without a second thought.

Last edited:
Had this great little bird house on our deck, watching the mom/dad bringing the food for the youngsters. However, early this morning, got up to find the bird house on the deck, along with blood/feathers and the little ones gone. Mom and dad are still out there looking for their young. They are gone! For this to happened it had to be the power a coon to have done this.

What the hell can I do to prevent hits happening again? I thought, being so close to humans, they (the birds) were safe, but such was not the case.

Is there a way to set up a bird house that a couple of birds trying to have young can avoid this happening?

Is there a way to foil the coons from getting at the young birds?

I need help, OK? There has to be a way to keeping these critters out of the house we set up for our feathered friends.

Q
hh-lc-animals-raccoon-bait-2.jpg
Being you're in town, this is your best option.

Put a little household ammonia in that squirt gun and they will never chase you again.

View attachment 1203984
Being you're in town, this is your best option.

Ah ha! You read minds:idea: as well!

Just picked up one this morning from a friend in neighbouring town. Just hope the intended prisoner will be a fit. I think he's a big one that was able to tear off the bird house platform that I had screwed to the railing.

Thanks for your share this day, eh?

Q

Ah ha! You read minds:idea: as well!

Just picked up one this morning from a friend in neighbouring town. Just hope the intended prisoner will be a fit. I think he's a big one that was able to tear off the bird house platform that I had screwed to the railing.

Thanks for your share this day, eh?

Q
My pleasure. Put it in the truck along with a suitable firearm, and take a short trip into the country. You know the rest

Back
Top Bottom