I am PO'd off, big time! Racoons tore apart my bird house!

I would like you to apologize my stupid comment. I hope you know that I am not well-known for posting nonsense.

Chris, you meant well and know that your heart was in the right place. It was a knee-jerk reaction on your part in wanting to contribute.

There are however, people who actually put this practice into play, killing many other beneficial animals in the food chain that feed off the poisoned varmint. I'll bet that there were some who read this thread who were unaware of the consequences of eradicating a pest by this means.

I've often wondered how many pets have been accidentally killed by some trying to get rid of rats/mice by poison?

Q

Last edited:
Raccoons can and will put a paw into a bluebird box and pull them out. Cats are also known to climb and take birds out of nests and boxes.

Best is a pole mounted box with baffle (like a trash can lid sized baffle). I use plastic pipe and slather the bottom 2 feet with grease. So far, so good.

I will have to try that the next time I have a problem with raccoons. The last time I could not get rid of them, and I had to call a raccoon removal service for help. They did a great job, but I don't want to keep calling them any time I have a raccoon problem on my property.
There is a lot of advice you can find online about stuff like this, and it rarely works. I hope that the thing you said works for me too.

Last edited:
Maybe a sturdy bird cage with an opening only the birds can get through and place the birdhouse in that?

Back
Top Bottom