I am quitter - 16 days and counting...

Good on you!!!

October, 1992. It only works when you really, really want to give it up for yourself. Trying to do it to please another is futile.

I gave up over a dozen times but hypnosis had the best results. Of course, even tha ttook three tries.

The first time, it worked for about 6 months the first time but I thought I could have just one. I was wrong.

The second fail was when my pop died days after the session, but the third time worked like a charm.

Just remember, you can not have just one.

Good luck... :thmbsp:

I quit about 9 weeks ago when I had my back surgery. Having no choice made it easier I guess. I wanted to quit anyway. I still think about smoking everyday. I'm happy to be tobacco free however.

cubdog

Quit back in 1987 after smoking since about 1965 or 1966....

Keep up the good work, but get yourself off the crutches....

It does get easier the longer your body is without nicotine...but, that is the true test of whether you have really quit...any other form of nicotine delivery system is just a crutch...

FWIW, two of my best friends that are the same age as me, that started back in high school, like me, and who did not quit smoking until at least a decade after I did, and then only when they had doctors make them quit, after they both required so very serious heart surgery, suffered the true cost of being smokers....thank God I dodged that bullet...so far, that is...

I quit 7 years ago (I smoked from age 12-22). At my peak, I smoked almost two packs a day, but the last few years between 6-12 smokes a day. Be wary of the new habits you have to form - the psych addiction is the hardest part.

I did it cold turkey. It was a miserable experience, but now I am sooooo glad I quit!

Good Luck!

Thanks for all the encouragement. I know this will be a long process but I am ready this time. I have changed all my previous habits to avoid some triggers. The real test will be when I start dropping down the dosage of the patch.

And congrats to all of my fellow quitters!!

Quit your job. Pretty soon you'll quit a lot of other things! Worked for me.:yes:

Seriously... good luck!

a little follow up...

wellbutrin was the pill I took not zyban....forgot. It's funny how we all remember the date , mine is Oct20,2002. Funny thing, the next day we had our neighborhood Halloween extravaganza all nighter... you get the picture, I had to leave with the sweats and the fear and anxiety etc,... I had lost my best "friend". As to what I have done with all the "extra" money... still "Poor" but paying the two college tuition's, mortgage, cars etc. OH some vinyl vintage............ my brother followed my lead with a tussle on/off again game for six months he now has stopped, this has made it easier on me as a result. He had a slip up at a wedding this past summer and was dizzy, nauseous, and almost fainted!!!!!

Can't tell why, all people I know that quit with subsitutes are still smokers or again...

I quit 4 times in my life... 1st - forget it. Just an evening in the 70s.
2nd try '85 for 2,5 yrs
3rd try '89 2 for yrs
4th try '99 til today undisrupted.

always without any drug or substitutes. I never had more trouble than the first week of pain... and the mental greed that gets you in "those situations" which get less and less in the following years :). I know that I start from zero to normal pack a day within two days, did that 3 times. Didn't smoke too much, in the mean a pack a day.
Can't help, but as far as i saw people using substitutes i found it just prolonges the quitting and makes it may be less hard... but also it's no real cut, and them start as easy again as they stopped. For me it is a mental border to start, I well remember the first 1 or two weeks. Them seem to think: ok, it wasn't that bad, I can do it again with pills... and start again next chance.

I also can remember the date I decided not to smoke again, it was October 19 1999. Had'nt smoked a week already so I had no chance for a "last cigarette".
And I remember I knew that from January 1st 2000 smokinw would be prohibited in the Hospital I work at. My thoughts were that I wanted to have that finished before I'd be surrounded by hundreds of panicking quitters.

Last edited:
I smoked for 20 years and quite July 16, 1985 cold turkey and haven't had a puff in 25 years. You can do it, good luck!

wellbutrin was the pill I took not zyban....forgot. It's funny how we all remember the date , mine is Oct20,2002.

I took the same pill. It was marketed as a smoking cessation drug under the name Zyban for it's effectiveness in reducing nicotine withdrawal symptoms but, it was really the anti-depressive Wellbutrin. It really worked though. And you're right, I remember the exact date and time I quit smoking. It was August 6th, 2001 and I put out my last cigarette at 9:45 PM.

Danimal, never quit quitting. It's the best thing you'll ever do for your health and longevity. Good luck to you.

good luck to ya...

I'm wearing the patch myself but still have 1-2 cigarettes a day. I didn't smoke for 3 weeks a few months ago, but work stress got to me. Now it's just the habit of smoking after meals and when I wake up. At least I can go a full 12 hour shift without one.

Good luck, and keep going! My grandmother and mother were both smokers. My grandmother quit, and lived to be 93; my mother didn't, and died at 73.

Best of luck to you. Congratulations on this difficult step. I am glad for you and your family. Both my parents (long time smokers) died of lung cancer. :sigh:

Back
Top Bottom