I am still in shock with this find yesterday!

notime2read

My wife and I were heading home from breakfast yesterday and I spot what I think could be vintage audio stuff stacked on top of some boxes sitting at the curb for today's garbage(!) pickup. We make a quick u-turn and an older lady is loading some additional boxes from her car in the driveway. I ask if I can look at the trash and find what you see in the pictures bellow. She said she was taking them to donate to GW, but decided to just throw them away instead. Come to find out she has more, took my number and because I live blocks away will let me know when I can come over to take the rest if I want them. "Some Marantz things my late husband had, and he'd be thrilled to have someone like you have them." I will do right by her, and if her husband had what I think he had will post what I find. I can hardly wait!

Looks as if in addition to the Lafayette KT-600 (?) and Scott Model 130 I picked up a homemade amp of some kind? Any thought on what that amp is if anything? There are no markings I can find except hand writing of component names and number near the sockets. Are the Lafayette and Scott worth restoring or selling as is? From what I found on by searching the forum is the 600 has some real desirability especially unmolested as these to units appear to be.

Amp Find Tubes close thumbnail_IMG_3308.jpg Amp Find Bottom thumbnail_IMG_3301.jpg Amp Find top thumbnail_IMG_3299.jpg Laff Front thumbnail_IMG_3302.jpg Laff Rear thumbnail_IMG_3304.jpg Scott 130 front thumbnail_IMG_3305.jpg

That is an unreal find to say the least. Fingers crossed for the "marantz stuff".

Those are top shelf preamp from each brand. The diy one looks like mono 6SA7 power amp.

Super Find notime2read!!

That Lafayette KT-600 is a real important find.
A couple of em sold recently on Ebay, one for 2K and the other for over $1600. A third in poor shape sold for $325.
I believe these are highly regarded Stereo Tube Preamps!!

The Scott is super too! And if some Mac gear turns up....WoW!

Congrats and
Best to you
Lee

Edited: I see you are a Floridian too.....I'm in St. Pete.

Come to find out she has more, took my number and because I live blocks away will let me know when I can come over to take the rest if I want them. "Some Marantz things my late husband had, and he'd be thrilled to have someone like you have them." I will do right by her, and if her husband had what I think he had will post what I find. I can hardly wait!
Does this mean you will do with them as her husband might have wanted or would you make her day paying a small percentage of what these units are worth? She would be surprised to find out, I'm sure.

Does this mean you will do with them as her husband might have wanted or would you make her day paying a small percentage of what these units are worth? She would be surprised to find out, I'm sure.

I could be wrong, but this feels like a judgment to me. Whatever he does, she will be well ahead of what GW would have given her. Based on his story, she is already well ahead knowing that "he'd be thrilled to have someone like you have them". It seems like some people only like scroe posts if they are the one who scroed.

I could be wrong, but this feels like a judgment to me. Whatever he does, she will be well ahead of what GW would have given her. Based on his story, she is already well ahead knowing that "he'd be thrilled to have someone like you have them". It seems like some people only like scroe posts if they are the one who scroed.
There's always something...:no:.

If anything, Pay her back with a million dollar smile when you take those Marantz 9's off her hands

all of you pissing about my question, the OP is the only one in a position to evaluate the situation. If the lady needs funds, he can do right by her, if she is fine, he can do right by her just making the gear sing again and enjoying what he can and moving on the rest. He knows the value or how to value it. She generally would not have any idea of how to determine that or anything about the gear. She might have lost out on a nice tidy donation if this is something that could be helpful. But she was not going there, preferring to just let it go to the trash truck. Whatever happens happens, I don't care, just curious. You guys are setting a pretty low bar. Somewhere along the line from low to high is the right spot to be and it could be anywhere. Only the OP knows.

Back
Top Bottom