I am Woman, hear me roar... Oh, wait, wrong forum!

birddog

Addicted Member
Just kidding! :D

Geesh, where do you start on one of these introductions, without sounding like you are filling out forms to join an online dating service!

Well, I found this place will searching for something, but for the life of me I can't remember what. Damn meds kinda keep me in a fog most of the time. Ended up never leaving! I'm not much of an outgoing person, and the last thing I ever thought I would do was join an internet forum, never mind become an active participant!

I'm come from a very old New England family, the first family member to come to the US from England arrived in the early 1600's, and my ancestors settled much of the area along the coast of NH, as well as parts of Maine. I'm 12th generation American, and proud of it!

My interest in audio has been a life long pursuit, although never a serious hobby or priority. Life somehow always seemed to have other things that required my time and attention.

My older brothers were both electronics/computer junkies, and as such always had some way cool stereo gear coming in and out of the house, something which I thought was normal, and every family was like that! After leaving home to make my way in the world, My gear consited of a variety of entirely unspectacular gear that was popular at the time (BPC!) and I always wondered why my so called new and improved gear never sounded half as good as my brothers old gear.

Well, thanks to this place, now I know why! My health issues have left me with time to learn and enjoy the music and the gear again, but without the finances to explore the audio possibilities that are available out there, kind of the ol' double edged sword kinda thing. I have been fortunate enough to have made some great scores, as well as get some great cheap/free stuff from some of the wonderful AK'ers too boot! So, I can't complain, I have some nice gear, and I doubt that I will be able to improve much upon what I have managed to obtain over the last couple of years.

By far the best thing about being a member here, has been meeting a bunch of the local members, a couple of whom I consider very good friends now, whom I would never have had the chance to meet if it were not for AK. I would be remiss not to mention someone truly special I have met, and that would be Paul, the man with the smoking Rabbit for an avatar, delihaus! Here is an individual that has more grace and courage than any person I have ever met before, and I am a better person because of having made his friendship. Through all he has been through, and all that he still has to face, he has never once asked "Why Me?" or expected others around him to take pity. I only wish I had met him years ago, as I believe that he would have been a guiding example of how I should have set my course, instead of taking many of the wrong paths that I did. I don't say it much, but thanks, Paul.

As far as gear goes, I am currently running a Carver TFM-55 Amp, a Carver CT-23 Preamp/Tuner, a Kenwood DP-3020 single disc player, Nikko EQ-25 Equalizer, and Klipsch Chorus I speakers. In the bedroom is a vintage Sansui AU-7500 integrated Amp, Sansui TU-719 Tuner, and Dynaco A25 speakers.

I have a Sansui AU-917 that is waiting to under go repairs (Deli is having Grateful go through it, as a B-day present for me!) that will be getting paired up with the Sansui TU-719 and Nikko EQ-25 when it comes home from grateful's skilled hands, and will be used in place of the current Carver gear. I love my Carver gear, but I am pretty sure that I will find the Sansui combo to be very much to my liking. I am going to try to find or make a 19" rack mount for the Sansui's and Nikko, since the Sui's have rack mount handles, and the Nikko is a one piece face with the rack ears.

I have a small (!) pile of speakers that need the usual rehab, caps/foam/finish that I will be getting around to fixing up. I only wish I could keep them all, but there is just no room, plus I already have some speakers that I consider keepers, and I doubt I will be replacng, but never say never! After hearing the completed repairs on a couple of the speakers, I bet I won't be able to part with them! The large Advents, and the Genesis II's come to mind....

Thanks to all who make this place what it is, I can only imagine the hours of hard work it takes to keep this place going, as well as the expense. And of course, let's not forget the legions of kind, funny, dedicated, and talented folks who keep me informed, interested, intrigued, and laughing on a daily basis!

Welcome, thanks for the great intro!

I would be remiss not to mention someone truly special I have met, and that would be Paul, the man with the smoking Rabbit for an avatar, delihaus! Here is an individual that has more grace and courage than any person I have ever met before, and I am a better person because of having made his friendship.

And a big "AMEN" to that.

I've enjoyed your posts with all the "interesting" pictures :D and it's certainly good to have you here. :yes:

With a title like that I expect to see you posting some really interesting pictures! :D On second thought, please....don't! :tongue:

Birddog is one of the nice people I refer to in my posting and one of the AKers I've met "in person." :yes:

The family history is well documented, on my fathers side. I have traced back to my great grandparents on my mothers side so far. My mothers side is a little more difficult, since most had passed on before my birth, and the remaining family was not that close, so I have no relatives I can get info from.

Samuel Fogg was the first ancester to settle in the US. There is an extensive history of this side of the family wriiten in a book by Phyllis O. Whitten, containing two volumes of the family genealogy.

Here is a copy of his will, from 1672. If your family history goes back to the NH seacoast or southeast Maine, there's a darn good chance we are related somehow! Notice he spelled the family name with an "E" on the end, our family crest shows the "E" which was apparently dropped from the spelling when the family made its home here in the US...

In the name of God Amen
I Samuell ffog of Hampton in the County of Norfolke being very weake & Inferme in Body butt of sound understanding and of a Disposseing mind Doe make this my last will & testamentt as followeth, I sollemly Comitt my soule unto allmighty God the father of Spirits and my fraile and weake body unto the earth from whence itt was taken to bee buried in such Decientt manner as my Exequetors hereafter mentioned shall appoint

And for whatt Estate the lord of his bounty Hath bestowed upon mee in this world my will is as followeth

Ist I Give & bequeth unto Mary my Beloved wife Duering the terme of Her naturall life as Her Dowry the one Halfe of my Salt marsh which lyeth on this side of the falls River towards the towne the which was formerly the marsh of Roger shaw and so much of the five Acres in the little Comon as will make up Heir thirds of all the marsh in my possetion

Itt I give unto mary my wife for her Improvement the one Halfe of Eight Acres of planting Land in the East field viz thatt partt thatt which lieth towards william Samborns land towards the north (and so much as will make up her thirds of the upland) att the South End of my Howse Lott

Itt I Give unto mary my wife the west End of my Dwelling House Duering the terme of Her widowhood & no longer, butt if shee shall Remove Her Dweling from thence in the time of her widowhood then the whole Howse to bee leatt with the lands by my Exequetors untill my Eldest sonn shall Come to the Age of twenty one years, and then my Eldest sonn is to posses itt and pay unto mary my wife Her thirds of the Rentt

Ittem I Give unto Mary my wife two Cows & the whitt Rone mar and whatt Howsehold stuff she brought into the Howse with her or whatt beding or other Household stuff she hath Else whear to bee & Remain to Her & Her Heirs for Ever

Ittem I Give & bequeth unto my Eldest sonn Samuell fog the other two thirds of my land marshes & medows & Comonage the which he is to Enter upon & posses when he shall Come to the Age of twenty & one years, butt shall nott Have full power in selling or disposeing of his Estate withoutt the Consentt of my Exequetors untill hee shall come to the Age of twenty fower years.

Itt I Give unto my son Samuell ffoge all my Howseing & barne & out Howseing the which he is to Enter upon & posses att the Age of twenty one years paying the thirds of the Rentt for the Howse to my wife Duering the time of Her widowhood and for my stock of Cattle & other moveables & twoles and Implements of Husbandry nott otherwayes Disposed of by this my Last will they are to bee improved & Renewed att the Discression of my Exequetors so as thatt the stock may bee maintained & nott wasted & Imbesseled untill my sone shall Come to the Age of twenty one years and then to be and Remaine to him & att his Disposall payeing these following legacies

Itt I Give & bequeth unto my son Daniell ffog the some of fifteen pound to bee payd by my son Samll fog when Daniel shall Arive to the Age of twenty one years

Itt I Give unto my Daughter mary fog one fetherbed & one fether boulster & one pillow & two Blankits one of them a Red blanket and two payer of sheets which were her mothers

Itt to my Daughter mary and Brass pan & three puter platters and Som other puter & Earthin Dishies which were hir mothers, and these Goods being prized to my Daughter Mary my son Samuel is to make up the some of fifteen pound to Her when she shall Come to the Age of twenty one years or att Her marring which shall Happen first

Itt I Doe Give unto my son Daniell fog the other third partt of my land, which he is to Enter upon & posses att my wives Decease & within one year after to pay the some of fifteen pounds back againe unto my son Samuel if hee hath Received itt before the Land fall to him

Ittem I Give unto my son Daniell fog my two new puter platters & a puter Bason

Ittem I Give unto my son Samuell ffog my two Tables & one bed stead & one Greatt Chayer & three Chests and one new Greene Rug and a Sute of Curtains, and one fowleing peece and all the Rest of my Howsehold stuff I Give and bequeath unto mary my wife & to the three Children which I have by Her

Itt I Give unto my Son Seath ffoge the some of Six pound to bee payd to him by my son Samll when he shall Come to the Age of twenty one year

Ittem I Give unto my Son James ffog the some of Six pound to bee payd when he shall Com to the Age of twenty one years to bee payd by my son Samuel

Itt I Doe Give unto my youngest Daughter Hanna ffog the some of Six pound to bee payd by my son Samuell when she shall Come to the Age of twenty one years and if her marriag shall Happen forst then to be payd att her Day of marring

and my will is thatt my Eldest Son should Die withoutt Heire of his owne body thatt then His portion of Land to Desend to my next son, and if any of my other Children should Die without Issue, thatt then their portion shall bee Devided amongst the Rest of my Children that shall Survive

And I Doe by these prsents Appointt my Loveing ffather in Law Deacon Robertt Page and my loving ffreinds william ffuller & Nathaniell Bachelder to bee my lawfull Exequetors to this my last will & testament: to see thatt the same be performed according to the tru Intentt & meaning herof and if God shall take away any of them thatt if god Permitt they shall Have power & liberty to make Choyce of whom shall suply in his or their place in point of Exequetorship and I Doe appoint my Loveing Brother Thomas ward & my loveing ffreind Samuell Dalton to bvee as overseers to this my will who Have the like power to make Choyce of suply in their places in Cause of Death or Removall

and my will is thatt my three Eldest Children shall bee Settled by my Exequetors viz my Son Samuell & Daniell to som Good trade which they shall most Desire and to be placed in such famelyes as may bee for their Comfortt & Advantag both for soule & body as much as Can bee Attained and I Appoint that such wearing Cloathes as I shall leave att my Death shall bee Improved by my Exequetors to fitt outt my two sons Samuell & Daniell to service and to make such further supply as they in Descrestion shall Judg meett.

And my will is thatt my Executors shall take such Care both in the time of my wives widowhood & att all times thatt my Estate may bee prformed and ytthe Howseing Due nott Goe to Decay without Repayeration and thatt the fences and other things Doe nott suffer strip & wast in the time whilst itt is outt of my sons Hands

And my will is Conserning my Daughter Mary bee Desposed of to the tuission of my loving ffreinds william ffuller & ffrances His wife, and if God should take away Goodwiffe ffuller whilst my Daughter mary is in Her menority I will & Comitt her tuition unto my Brother Benjamin ------------ & to Goodwif Bachelder) and my will is thatt my Howseing & lands & stock of Cattle & other moveables & Improved by the Discression of my Exequetors for the subsistance of my wife & my three youngest Children untill my son Samuel shall Arive to the Age of twenty one years and to this I Affix my Hand & Seale as my last will this ninth Day of Janewary 1671

Samuell [seal]fogge

Signed & sealed in
the prsents of us
will ffuller
Samuell Dalton
Frances ffuller
[Proved Oct.8,1672.]
[Essex County, Mass., Probate Files, and Norfolk County, Mass., Deed, vol.2, p.264.]

[Inventory of the estate of Samuel Fogg of Hampton "late Deceased upon the 15 day of Aprill 1672;" taken by Thomas Marston and William Sanborn May 3, 1672; amount £249.19.0.]
[Essex County, Mass., Probate Files, and Norfolk County, Mass., Deeds, vol.2, p. 265.]

Wow

Hiya Birddog, did folks really write that way back then?
Good to meet you.
Hmmm, if you pair that tuner up to a differant amp, then you don't need that nasty old AU 7500 anymore, and I am sure it must need some TLC as it's so old, maybe you should just send it along to me, the Museum is always looking for new exhibits...
Casey:banana:

Most of my relations here in the USA are west of the Mississippi althought there are people of the same name here in the east. Their ancestors are mainly from Cheshire whereas mine are from Lincolnshire, and we have not established any connection. All the families in Canada (all 44 of them) are either direct family or cousins by way of a four times Great Uncle. Lots of searchable data at www.familysearch.org the Mormon Church database(s).
Between the dozen or so family historians we have a database of over 10,000 names.

merrylander, Samuel and his family were from Epping, Essex. Samuel made the journey alone. For the most part it is still an old New England name, you don't find it in many phone books from other parts of the country. Unfortunately, I am the last to carry the name from my father. Neither of my older brothers had any children, and although I do have children, (2 boys, 1 girl) they all carry their mothers name, as they were all born out of wedlock. I'm sad to see it come to an end after so many generations....

Hiya Birddog, did folks really write that way back then?
Good to meet you.
Hmmm, if you pair that tuner up to a differant amp, then you don't need that nasty old AU 7500 anymore, and I am sure it must need some TLC as it's so old, maybe you should just send it along to me, the Museum is always looking for new exhibits...
Casey:banana:

That "Nasty Old AU-7500" is a keeper, even though it could use some TLC! I hope to one day find a TU-7500 to pair it up with. Long odds on that though, due to budget constraints, as well as the fact that there just are not a lot of TU-7500's out there. I just keep my fingers crossed, and maybe the good lord will smile down upon me!

And yes, people did write like that, at least the ones that could write. Most folks back then could not read or write, schooling was a luxury, that was out of the reach of many, and children were expected to stay at home to help with the farming or family business, or were signed into apprenticeships to learn a trade.

Many New england families did very well for themselves, becoming wealthy through the bounty of the sea and the mercantile trades, the New England seacoast was the source of wealth for almost all of the wealthiest families of the day. This of course led to many educational institutions being built in this area, since there was a central population that could afford not only primary education, but secondary as well. Boston's not known as a college town for nothing!

I didn't look to see if you were a local, but if not, New England is a great place to visit, especially if you are a history buff. I live just minutes from where the American Revolution started, as well as the birthplace of the Industrial revolution as well! Lots of amazing historical spots to see if you ever visit, and are into that kind of stuff. Of course, there are all kinds of other things to see and do around here. You haven't lived until you have visited a "Sugar Shack" where they are boiling down Maple sap into syrup over a log fire. You take some hot syrup and poor it over a cup of fresh snow you scooped up on the way into the shack, MMMMM Good! And don't forget Maine Lobsters and blueberries, and the worlds best frying clams from Ipswich!

I sent some time in Connecticut a few years ago and got hooked up with a New England local family. They traced their people way back too, judge at the Salem witch trials, co-founder of Yale, etc, etc, etc. Every other street, library or swamp had their name on it. Thought of the Bushes as nouveau riche...

Had lobster dinner once with them - it was a scene right out of "Mystic Pizza" but with roles reversed - they all pigged out.

A fun bunch but ultimately too crazy - must have been the generations of in-breeding.

Ya, us "Yankee's" can be a strange lot... It's kinda strange going through the genealogy, and seeing all the towns around the area bearing the same name as family members! Samuel missed the "Mayflower", but we have a couple of passengers as relatives by marriage, from what I have been told. Oh, and never get between a Mainer and a lobster dinner, you are liable to get hurt!

Nice to meet you Birdog! My paternal grandmother's side of the family traces to the ship Planter's arrival in Boston in June of 1635. Pretty far removed, though. No "old money" here. :no:

Well, if there was "Old" money in my family, it was "Spent" money by the time I arrived! New England genealogy is pretty cool, as many of the old familys stayed in the area, and there is some excellent documentation available as well, making for fairly easy and interesting searches!

Nice to have you here at AK.
Have the genealogy of my mothers Norse family back to before 1000 A.D.
Most in the same small town north of the Arctic Circle.

Back
Top Bottom