I aquired 2 Speakerlab 7 speakers but not sure if there a keep

whopintp

AK Member
Got these speaker lab 7's 2 weeks ago. Pulled the plumbing out.
Everything works. I'm not sure about the cabinets. I got all of the
speakers out to test & clean them. It's got water stains 2 1/2"-3" below the woofer line on both of them. I am just not into that much cabinet work.
I'm not sure but I think it has 2 cabinets on each speaker.
Also, I have never worked with a pair of the HT350's They
are big. You can almost tweeter-whip somebody with those. If the
cabinets weren't so expensive, I would buy 2

Attachments

• IMG_0121.JPG
    IMG_0121.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_0121.JPG
    IMG_0121.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_0127.JPG
    IMG_0127.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_0126.JPG
    IMG_0126.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_0124.JPG
    IMG_0124.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_0122.JPG
    IMG_0122.JPG
    112.5 KB · Views: 119
If the cabinets are solid, not water damaged but only stained, and all the drivers work, I'd keep them intact. Even if you're not the one to fix them, someone will.

Looks like they could use a recap though.

I'm with Tox on this one. I don't see any severe water damage in your photos. Are the cabinets swelled at any point? Do the corners still seem solid? Are they coming apart anywhere? If all you are seeing is water stains, but no swelling or separating, I'd either clean them up (especially that amateurish silicone caulking - geez! :eek:), or re-veneer them and proceed with enjoying them.

If the cabinets are trashed, but the components are good, I'd have a cabinet builder recreate them with 1" mdf with your choice of veneers. This would be an easy and relatively inexpensive project for a professional cabinet maker. (If you know how to use wood glue, you could even have the builder simply cut the panels for you and do the construction yourself.) Then proceed with enjoying them.

They are quite attractive pieces when done correctly.

GeeDeeEmm

13fd3137_vbattach217931.jpeg

Ya, ya could be right on keeping them & ya their getting shabby
looking. That crap they put on them. I can see the sealing
effect but to advertise them like that, Trashy. It sucked to take all of
it off. I like the blue background you have on your pic but if I
kept them I would paint that front part light brown
.I'll get more pics in a day or 2

Well worth restoring. It's hard to tell from the pics but it doesn't look like there is major water damage. If the veneer is only stained and not lifting you are golden. Speakerlab used a nice thick veneer ans some sanding and oil will make them beautiful again.

As Toxcrusadr suggested, without a doubt recap them. And ditch the Dacron stuffing and replace it with a complete fibreglass fill. The cost to do so is a pittance and you'll be glad that you did, bass will be improved/cleaned up.

Cheers,
James

EV-T350's were used in the Super 7's. I can't tell if the midrange driver is also the bigger one used in the Super 7's too. Cabinets, crossovers, and woofers were the same for both.
Those could either be Super 7's or regular 7's with upgraded tweeters. I've got a pair of Super 7's as my shop speakers... For when you absolutely need to scatter the chickens. Haha
Clean em up and rock the neighborhood.

On the back its got Speakerlab 7 W/150w RMS. As you can see
they got damage to them. A question, Do these look like their Double-Cased. I've seen where it was an option & if I'm lucky This is
one of them ??. Anyway you guys can judge a bit more on them.
Thanks for the responses back. I had them down to where the
next step would be take off crossovers.

Attachments

• IMG_0132.jpeg
    IMG_0132.jpeg
    68.8 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0133.jpeg
    IMG_0133.jpeg
    63.6 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0134.jpeg
    IMG_0134.jpeg
    68.2 KB · Views: 33