I bought a Denon DP-75. What do I need to know to get the best performance out of it?

Onebean

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I made an impulse buy today and grabbed a Denon DP-75 in a DK 100-G plinth, no tone arm. I think I will install my SME 3009 and Denon 301ii. What do I need to do to get as much performance as possible out of the DP-75? Is the 100-G plinth good, or should I build a new plinth for it? Does it respond positive to being mounted in a high mass plinth? I'd love to see DP-75's in custom plinths, so post pictures if you have them, and share your thoughts and experiences on this motor unit.

Onebean

IMG_0486.JPG The DP-75 in stock factory form is best left that way especially the mat which was an important part of the design of the double platter. I never examined the DK-100 plinth but from photos/description it's multi layer and appears to be good construction/design. If anything after installing the SME arm and DL-301II cartridge you might find the most reward for money spent will be upgrading cartridge if compatible with SME. Talked with a number of DP-75/80 owners and the consensus is the DP-75 and DP-80 are next to impossible to tell apart when listening using the same plinth/tonearm/cartridge. My DP-75 is mounted in a VPI plinth, combined the motor/plinth/arm must come close to 75 lbs.

Last edited:
Majick, that’s a great looking table. What arm are you using? My SME 3009 is a series 2 non-improved. On paper the 301II seems to be a good match, better than the V15 III that came on it. What cartridge would you recommend?

Last edited:
Presently I'm using another VPI plinth/dustcover, tonearm is a Technics EPA-100, no firsthand experience with the SME 3009 non improved but on further thought the DL-301II is probably a reasonable match to the arm but listening will be the best way to verify. Onebean you can also do an AK Google search for threads re Mr Pigs DP-75 with VPI plinth and 801 tonearm.

Bumping an old thread for a new discovery. Found this on a European site —

Screen Shot 2019-02-15 at 11.19.29 AM.png

I think it's gorgeous, and may inspire some DIY. The dimensions are about as sleek and compact as possible with such a large TT, and a 9" plus 12" is ideal IMO. I have a DP-80 and I'm tempted, but I use mine plinth-less and like it that way. The site —

https://www.audioantiquary.com/en-us/denon-dp75/

— has many other photos that show the construction (many layers) and good close-ups of the arm-mounts — good for study. The entire site is a trip — great photography, a high-class glossy magazine — lots of fun. Makes most online sales sites look tacky. Many expensive items, but some great bargains too. I predict some of you will find just what you're looking for.

Prices are Euros — The exchange rate is €1 = $1.13. But the VAT is included in the listed prices. If you're outside Europe, you don't pay it, so there's a discount (I think 20%). There's shipping of course, but for small items it's not much.

Last edited:
Why go for a 75 if you already have an 80?
I meant the plinth, not the TT. The DP-80 would look just as great in that gorgeous plinth. But as I said, I use it with no plinth and like it that way. To roil the waters a bit, I don't think plinths are necessary: they're a holdover from an antiquated tradition that people won't let go of — "But that's what a turntable LOOKS LIKE! IT HAS TO!"

Last edited:
Bumping an old thread for a new discovery. Found this on a European site —

View attachment 1420834

I think it's gorgeous, and may inspire some DIY. The dimensions are about as sleek and compact as possible with such a large TT, and a 9" plus 12" is ideal IMO. I have a DP-80 and I'm tempted, but I use mine plinth-less and like it that way. The site —

https://www.audioantiquary.com/en-us/denon-dp75/

— has many other photos that show the construction (many layers) and good close-ups of the arm-mounts — good for study. The entire site is a trip — great photography, a high-class glossy magazine — lots of fun. Makes most online sales sites look tacky. Many expensive items, but some great bargains too. I predict some of you will find just what you're looking for.

Prices are Euros — The exchange rate is €1 = $1.13. But the VAT is included in the listed prices. If you're outside Europe, you don't pay it, so there's a discount (I think 20%). There's shipping of course, but for small items it's not much.
The dimensions of that plinth are really nice. Cool site!

I thought you'd like it. Laid back, no hard sell, elegant.

I never noticed you have the Denon 1520. Me too. Mine needs lots of work. Is yours still just fine, or did you make it fine?

And the Revox A77! Wonderful machine. I had two, now none — I gave one to a musician; he needed it and I only needed one. Then it was stolen. I still have tapes which I can't play.

What do you play on it, your own recordings? I only had pre-recorded, which varied in quality. Some were awesome, e.g. Saint-Saens 3/Munch — others weren't as good as the LP, or even the CD.

Last edited:
I thought you'd like it. Laid back, no hard sell, elegant.

I never noticed you have the Denon 1520. Me too. Mine needs lots of work. Is yours still just fine, or did you make it fine?
My 1520 came to me supposedly "not working", having given up the ghost a few days after the warranty period ended. It was then stuck in a closet until I bought it. It turned out it needed a very minor adjustment and has been perfect ever since. I use it as a transport with the CI DAC. I have a second Denon CDP that I use as-is, a DCD 3300. It had some mods and really nice boutique caps put into the analogue chain and sounds really lovely - very "not-digital". All of my main CD units use the same excellent transport set-up.

That was my plan, use it as a transport. It needs belts and a general overhaul; luckily I can do it, but a lot of work gaining access. I've been putting it off, using another transport, and not sure the Denon would be better.

That was my plan, use it as a transport. It needs belts and a general overhaul; luckily I can do it, but a lot of work gaining access. I've been putting it off, using another transport, and not sure the Denon would be better.
It does make a pretty sweet transport, though. I love having all of the possible controls on the front instead of on a remote that I almost never use. Funny - I happily use the remote for the TV/DVD etc., but almost never touch the ones for my audio gear. The DAC in the 3300 is vastly better to my ears than the inboard one in the 1520, though.

Funny, I use my transport's remote all the time, almost exclusively. Wish it had Volume; my preamp doesn't.
The remote on mine has volume as well, but using the DAC it doesn't come into play. The remote for the 3300 has it as well, but I can only recall using the remote about three times.

Presently I'm using another VPI plinth/dustcover, tonearm is a Technics EPA-100, no firsthand experience with the SME 3009 non improved but on further thought the DL-301II is probably a reasonable match to the arm but listening will be the best way to verify. Onebean you can also do an AK Google search for threads re Mr Pigs DP-75 with VPI plinth and 801 tonearm.
So you have the EPA 100 arm with your DP-75? Lovely!

My DP-80 was first set up in a two-armed plinth with an Audiocraft AC-400C on the front board and a Sumiko MMT in back.
DSC_2428 by fiddlefye, on Flickr

The Sumiko developed wiring issues and is being replaced by a Technics EPA 250. Just working out the mounting details at the moment.
DSC_3314 by fiddlefye, on Flickr

bimasta, what arm and cartridge are you using with yours?
It's warming the bench now. I wanted to try my M-S DQX-1000 again: it was my first great DD and healed me from decades of BD propaganda; sold my LP12 asap. I love the DQX with a Linn Ittok, but the Denon is another league. Both Fiddlefye and I came up with the same adjective, "stately", like a Queen wielding great power with delicate grace (though I think it's a very masculine table). I never noticed any pitch-waver with the DQX, until comparing it to the DP-80 with those endless chords from the Hammerklavier Adagio.

I'll go back to it soon. Probably 3 arms: Odyssey, Syrinx PU3, SME 3009/II for MM/MI: I have some nice ones. MCs vary: Dynavector Ruby; Linn Asak; two from Fidelity Research, FR1Mk3F and MC201; and a little known MC I'd like to keep unknown in hopes of finding another, with no bidders but me. All my carts are antiques, my newest is at least 25, VDH MC10, but they're all NOS with no dodgy suspensions, so many years of life (I hope).

You asked a simple question Onebean, and I talked you ear off. Apologies.

Stately, I like that. I have owned a bunch of tables over the years and while most were decent there is only one that deserves a title of monarch. Naturally referring to my superb DP-80. The quality of the sound transcends all that have preceded it, and by no small amount. Mind you that table’s 12” Reed arm and Kiseki cartridge clearly deserve some of the credit... whoa a whole friggin royal family! :king:

Fiddlefye…what’s that interesting looking contraption sitting on the platter in the lower photo?

Back
Top Bottom