I bought this beast for 50 bucks, but...

Capgun

I was told it works, but it's been sitting for years. I don't have a Variac to do a slow start. How can I check to see if it works, besides plugging it in, firing it up, crossing fingers, and hoping it doesn't blow tubes? 005.JPG 006.JPG 004 (2).JPG 003 (2).JPG 002 (2).JPG

Where are you? I have both a variac an a DBT already made up. I'm guessing if you're not close to me that plenty of others have variacs as well.

The tube with the open top metal shield, is it just dusty or is it white? If white, don't power it up, it has lost it's vacuum.

BillWojo

Hi Bill, not sure which tube you're talking about.

N8, I live in Nevada. but thank you for the offer.

Hes talking about the one with a shield around it,,, next to the 4 black metal tubes, above the single one...

It's the one with the open top metal can around it. Might just be dusty but if it's white inside it's gone. Just make sure you get the tube number off of it. Search on this site for cleaning tubes, it's way to easy to clean the numbers right off.

BillWojo

I'm not at home at the moment but I think I might have some literature for that amp. What's the model number and I will look it up when I get home.

I do know that that is one of Newcomb's powerhouse PA amplifiers. Using two 5U4 rectifier tubes for extra current and four output tubes in what's called a push/pull/parallel arrangement for more power output.

Hi guys! Thanks again for all this help. I've uploaded some more pictures, that I think are better than what uploaded earlier. I found the tube in question, and yes, it was just dust.

Idatlof, thanks for the offer, but I live in Reno.
Cademan, It's the Model H-50
Knockbill, thanks for pointing, to where I needed to look for the specific tube.

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 152
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 148
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 152
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 146
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 151
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 147
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 151
  • 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 152
  • 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 147
That will make a nice amp. Lots of room underneath and not too complicated. I have brought back a few Bells and Stromberg Carlson amps that are similar. I liked the resulting sound.

Thanks cademan. I've found an online schematic, and a few other things, but, I don't know much about amplifiers, tube or solid state. My forte is speaker work. I've heard these are very good old tube amplifiers. I'm going to look into building a Dim Bulb tester, as Knockbill suggested.

Cademan, Electronjohn Or anyone, I would love to know, if you could, where the fuse, or what the amp draw is for this unit? If you can help, cool. If not, I understand. I can't find anything on this gem. The "Dim Bulb" build is cool, but I just decided, since I buy a lot of vintage gear, that I should just invest in a decent Variac. Which I did. It's now here, but, I've seen the best way to use it, is along side with, a Clamp on style AC Amp meter. I have an old RS Multimeter, that they haven't made in years. Of course that's all null and void now, since RS closed up shop for good, but I think I may just be able to use it, in parallel, instead of the clamp type.

Either way, I read from several websites, on how to use the Variac, correctly, for old tube units. I'd just like to have that information, of how many amps it draws, because it can tell you the "Health" of the unit, as you're dialing up the volts.

It is on the back near the power cord , it has a screw cap that says 3 amp over it , it will open with a flat tip screwdriver , current draw is less than 3 amps .

Since it uses tube rectifiers, you will have to get it up to a minimum of 70 or 80 volts to see what's happening. You don't have to take hours to ramp up the voltage. If anything is going to show its ugly head, it will do so within the first few seconds of power up so just watch it closely and cut the power if you notice anything out of the ordinary.

These things were built to be bullet proof and I would suspect that it will work as it sits but just be careful and use common sense. It if works for testing purposes then by all means, replace the capacitors for a longer life and safety.

I forgot this. This is the rest of the info that went along with the description.

Newcomb.JPG

After the word "type", it says "microphone connectors" elsewhere in the ad.

So Cannon XL3-11 type microphone connectors.

Last edited:
Thank you Battradio and Cademan. I was wondering what that 3 amp flat head looking plastic screw went to. I am an electronics novice, at best. I've replaced Capacitors on crossovers and I know how to solder. I can do pretty much anything on speakers, but, when it comes to amps and receivers, I have soooooooo much to learn.

Back
Top Bottom