I can't believe these are budget speakers...

Thrift-a-holic

Hooked for life
So my buddy picked up some Technics SB-CR77 speakers at the Goodwill for like 20 bucks. I did not have the heart to tell him, that I thought they would be crap. I went to his house on Saterday for a poker party, and he had them hooked up to his Technics SA-300. I have to say that I was completly blown away by how good that budget set-up sounded. The bass was a bit boomy, but in terms of value for the dollar, I was shocked. You could almost rattle the windows with that little system. They seem like great "Party Speakers", even though that term bugs me. Sorta like when people say a movie is a good "Popcorn Flick". C'mon a movie is good or not, not need to qualify it to sound fancy.:scratch2:

I totally love the sound of my technics sb-a63's they are newer ht looking towers that stomped my AR's (newer cheaper AR's from 2001).. for bass, mid and they sport a really smooth sounding dome tweeter, I was so sick of the horn loaded design on the AR's, they were so harsh at high volumes.... also the sensitivity is almost as good, even with an extra driver in the technics cab's ... I love em, and got em for free!

I'm fairly certain those came pre-packed with one of the Technics rack systems. What appears to be aluminum driver frames is actually painted plastic trim pieces. Expect a resonant box and minimalism in the way of crossovers and drivers.

I wish you guys could hear them, I am confident you would be impressed at there sound, considering what they cost new. :music:

Funny you mention technics speakers. I picked this pair up at a junk store for $40 and I can honestly say that they were biggest surprise in audio that I think I ever had. Technics made some great speakers.
marc mc

Last edited by a moderator:
Those Technics(SB L200) are definitely not junk. I have a pair. That excellent horn tweeter is the same horn found in the top-of-the-line SB 1000 Technics speakers that are rarely seen except in Japan. You will find the mid range and highs excellent. Vocals are especially good. They do not, however go very deep in the bass, typical it seems of the better Technics speakers. What the hay, you can always add a sub. They do have oddball speaker connectors, though.

Edit: Sorry, those are the larger L 300's. Same basic design, though as the L 200's I have, with a larger woofer.

I started a thread on those Technics speakers and I was surprised as well. I have good tastes, look at my list of main speakers and I judge these as quite competent. Patrick

I just bought a pair of these cr77's from a co-worker for $15 and havn't had a chance to listen to them yet. They were sight unseen, and when i got the cabs home they look brand new.

I'd like to get hold of a pair of those horns for a DIY project. They look great and sound great too!

Mark, I have the little brothers to yours....the 4500s. They are great speakers for my workshop.

I have a set of Technics SB-S407's that I must say sound much better than they should. They were my dad's, then my older brothers then passed down to me. I use them in the basement workshop with a Sansui 6060.
(Pic is from the web, not of my actual speakers, but are identical)

Last edited:
There is a pair for 50 at long beach salvation army, look to be in great condition, little ragged on one edge of laminate.

Found a pair of these SB-CR77's yesterday at the local Goodwill. Figured for the price why not, $15. I will agree with the OP, they are impressive for what they are and what you pay when finding them.

Definitely worth keeping an eye out for if ever seen in "the wild".

Makes old Ms Gale Garnett sound damn fine. :) Happy listening friends.

I bought mine new for ~$100 at Circuit City in 2002, and they're still going strong. I did modify mine - replaced the 4" mid-range Panasonic (China) driver with a beefier Robertson Audio mid-bass open-frame driver, and the mids now have a fuller body and better dynamics. The original driver had a closed frame which contributed a resonant peak, and also somewhat choked dynamics.

It's also possible to stiffen the paper cone of the Robertson Audio driver by coating it with a layer or two of Polyvinyl Alcohol (PVA), also available as clear paper glue. I didn't notice any significant change in audible sonics, but it's intended to extend and flatten the high-side response, which is mainly useful in small full-range and mid-bass drivers.

Back
Top Bottom