I can't quit buying these little amps.

Not sure what is so great about the TPA3116. One look at the datasheet and the THD figures show an odd peaking of distortion right where your hearing is most sensitive in the audio band, reaching into the .2 to .5% range. While I do question if people can really hear distortion that low in music, but it is too much for my own standard of which I would consider hifi. To be considered hifi, the amplifier must not produce distortion higher than .1% across the audio spectrum (20-20KHz) or its power band 0 to max before clipping watts. The TPA3116 does not meet this criteria.

$12 and you could find out.

But I'd guess for you it's easier to listen to data sheets. :D

Yes, thirded! Quick question for Fleawatt if still following this thread - have you done any builds with the Sure 3110 board and if so, do you recommend making the connection on the board to minimize power on/off pop? I have not made that modification but solved the power on by using a separate pre between source and amp. Still get a little power-off sound though.

Interesting as the Sure 3110 board was the first Texas Instruments one I used and never had any issues with turn on (or off) pop. The only mods I ever performed with that board were increasing the power supply capacitance a tad. I have found that some power switches (switch bounce) and or power supplies can affect the amount of pop on some boards. Did you experiment with a different power switch or different power supplies? That's a wonderful sounding board if you have efficient enough speakers to utilize it. Many of the Class D boards have a power off zip sound. (sometimes only audible on really efficient speakers) That's the amp crying not to be turned off and put away for the night.:tears:

Last edited:
The thing I would like to know is , what are you plugging into the inputs on the T-Amp ? A CD player direct or a pre-amp or what ?

The thing I would like to know is , what are you plugging into the inputs on the T-Amp ? A CD player direct or a pre-amp or what ?

Not sure who you are directing this question to, but I'll jump in. You can use a CDP direct with units that have a volume control. Some like to use a tube preamp on those with or without independent volume controls. All of the amps in this thread have a high input sensitivity and don't really "need" a preamp to realize the full gain of the amplifier.

Not sure who you are directing this question to, but I'll jump in. You can use a CDP direct with units that have a volume control. Some like to use a tube preamp on those with or without independent volume controls. All of the amps in this thread have a high input sensitivity and don't really "need" a preamp to realize the full gain of the amplifier.

Thank you . I just figured if you wanted FM and other inputs , you would need a tuner-preamp.

I've had a trio of these units and they have all benefitted from a preamp of some sort. More power and more gain before the legendary t amp harmonic distortion kicks in, basically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm running A turntable > Phono stage > 4 way RCA Input selector (also have my compulter going to a DAC/headphone amp on input 2 of the input selector)

I've had a trio of these units and they have all benefitted from a preamp of some sort. More power and more gain before the legendary t amp harmonic distortion kicks in, basically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks . I was also thinking of the flexibility of the system too . I'd really like to try one , but I have no room . :gigglemad

My office system would be perfect , but my old Technics receiver won't die . :D

The $50 YJ 6N3 preamp is a great companion to these chip amps.

picture.php

I have had the SA-98A as well as the SMSL Sanskrit DAC for about a year now. I love the combo. Now I may not be an "audiophile", but for a cheap amp and DAC, I'm impressed. I am not a literary scholar either, but this is the review I sent in to the Canadian dealer I purchased these from:

"I purchased the SMSL SA-98E along with the SMSL Sanskrit 24 Bit/ 192 kHz DAC. I am in the Canadian Military and I always travel with a small music system consisting of an older 2024 T-amp, an older USB DAC and a pair of small Mission 760i speakers. They have always sounded good, but ran out of steam fairly quick as the speakers are not very efficient and the amp only put’s out about 7 clean watts or so. I decided to bump up the power with the SA-98E and get the matching Sanskrit DAC just to get a nice looking combo as well as possibly a few more years of DAC technology to improve the sound.

Was it a worthwhile purchase? Did it improve the sound? Well let me tell you…MY GOD!!! What a HUGE improvement. The extra power from the amp has given the small inefficient speakers some nice kick and they can fill a good sized room with more volume than I can take. The extra power has added a much needed punch to the bass. I couldn’t wait to get this amp back home and try it with my JBL’s. This is also very clean power. When I turned the volume up, it got too loud for me but it was never dirty sound. It was just loud, clean, undistorted music!! I am very impressed with this amp.

So what is the DAC like? Very impressive. Impressive to a fault maybe….at least for me that is. Being in the Military, when we deploy places a lot of us trade our music collections and playlists so we don’t get bored of the same tunes. This DAC has made me VERY aware of how bad some of those recording are. With my old system, I never noticed how bad a 128 kbps MP3 really sounded. The lack of bass and top end makes these tracks almost unlistenable now. My collection is getting smaller and smaller as I delete the bad tunes that I had previously thought were good recordings.

If you are considering one of these amps or DAC’s, seriously look at the combination of both of them. They are very impressive and very good looking. I did buy these to deploy with and use as a desk top system at work, but this just might find a place in my living room and replace my vintage Sansui. That is going to be a very interesting listening comparison. The toughest thing I had to decide on was the Silver or the Black. I chose the Black….but I just might have to get another pair in Silver to keep the “vintage” look in the living room."

I have since returned from the deployment and this combo is now being used for my 2 channel listening with my JBL 4311b's. I am going to get another set in silver because it looks a little more "retro" and I like that better!!

My 3116 implementation is worked with a Directly-Heated Triode pre when I feel like it.
It does sound better that way because I like the sound of SET; but that sort of defeats the main purpose of the 3116 for me (energy efficiency, cool temp & occasional SS sound).

I usually have it played on its own.

KakaoTalk_20141220_203943396_zpsb8d0c898.jpg

I'd kinda be interested in one of these. I'd like to gut my Realistic SA-102 and replace the internals with an amp that sounds good and pushes more than 7 watts. :)

Charles.

Hey, any SMSL owners, a question. I've been using my TPA3116 home builds for a while, but was recently comparing in one of my setups to last year's SMSL SA-50 T-amp. I noticed the power supply for this unit is emitting a high pitched squeal when the amp is powered on - which I'm assuming is some type of capacitor issue? It's a 24v 4.5a power brick, their model SAP-24045-T. Has anyone else had this issue? Safe to run or definitely toss? I can hear the sound when the music is playing at low volume, which makes it pretty worthless for me. I have a number of 19v/3a power bricks, not sure if that will power the SA-50 or not, but may try. The other option would be to break down and get an Astron linear, but the size of those things has been the stopper for me. Advice?

I have an smsl dac and 98E

great sound from both.
I have noticed an odd little noise from the power supply, but have had no issues with it.
It also makes steady voltage - I dont leave it on, but then I dont leave anything powered on.

Sound is superb.

I also have two little home built TDA chip based amps, the board bought for just over £5 on ebay.
They sound incredible - really balls to the sound.

I love these little chinese chip amps - I have no real interest in modifying them , as the fun is getting something for small change that sounds incredible

Hi and thanks for the interesting thread.
I wonder how much a better SMPS can improve the sound of these units ... are you using the stock power supplies or something more exotic maybe ?

Another question about bass ... how is the bass playing some powerful organ tracks ?
i often use some tracks from Telarc classical music recordings ... they push all systems to their limits
Thanks and regards, gino

Last edited:
It's not fair to ask one of these little SMPS powered flea amps to play Telarc's organ recordings. The SMPS supply they come with is inadequate in most cases.

I've got several including a cute little SMSL SA-45 for bench work (it's so compact), but HiFi it aint. None of them come close to proper HiFi. You a doing yourself a disservice if they are used for anything other than back ground music around the BBQ.

Fun little things, for sure and very nicely finished.

It's not fair to ask one of these little SMPS powered flea amps to play Telarc's organ recordings.

Hi and thanks a lot for the kind reply.
I guess i understand their limits but maybe with a high efficiency and easy to drive speakers ?
As an extreme, i remember a listening of a Klipschorn with a radio ... to say i was impressed is an understatement.
I was thinking to some Tannoy or similar ... easy to drive full-ranges ?

The SMPS supply they come with is inadequate in most cases.

I have both the 98 and the 36pro ... the 98 comes with a powerful SMPS but now i am more focused on the 36 pro. I am trying some SMPS for laptops from Dell and Lenovo.
I am wating for a 19.5V/6.7A (i.e. 130W) unit i bought on ebay. I read that the 36 pro can accept also 20V. I will report. The sound is already quite clean by the way.
Moreover i bought another SMPS found on ebay.com for the 98 (i have to check which version i have).
This one here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291079736886?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I've got several including a cute little SMSL SA-45 for bench work (it's so compact), but HiFi it aint. None of them come close to proper HiFi.
You a doing yourself a disservice if they are used for anything other than back ground music around the BBQ.
Fun little things, for sure and very nicely finished.
I understand. I suspected that. I bought them after reading some comments on amazon.com.
the idea is to try the upgraded SMPS and give them some time.

However for the more powerful TDA7498 based SMSL 98 i found an interesting graph (with Vcc=36V and R=6 ohm) ... but i do not know how to upload it.
The speakers selection is important i guess to get enough punch in the bass.
Thanks for the kind and valuable advice.
Kind regards, gino

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom