I can't quit buying these little amps.

Hi sorry to jump in again (i have found how to upload pictures ... :banana:)
about the tda7498 i found the following graph when the chip is powered with 36V and the load is 6 ohm

http://www.st.com/web/en/resource/technical/document/datasheet/CD00244535.pdf

THD vs Power out.png

Unfortunately there is no the f=10kHz curve also
What i mean is that the 98 model with a correct selection of the speaker load can source a decent power
High efficiency could be advised anyway.
Thanks for the thead ! gino

Last edited:
I just bought another one.....

Nearly every one I've bought (~10) has been great, worked, great, sounded great, etc. Only one had an issue with a cold solder at the pot. I've set many up for people that just wanted something to plug their phone or computer into. Very handy piece of gear.

In 1946, Harold J Leak and Co produced amplifiers with 0.1% THD and set the standard for the time. To be using a modern chip 69 years later in 2015 that exhibits 0.4% THD at 100mW (!) and 0.3% at 1 watt and 10% at rated power (1% at 78 watts) strikes me a huge retrograde step. That's just one parameter- there's not a decent spec anywhere in the entire datasheet.

point one.JPG

Do your ears a favour.

Hi !
may i ask you which kind of power supply do you use ? the stock one ? o_O
I am experimenting with different SMPS for laptop. But i am thinking that a linear one could be a wiser choice :rolleyes:
Thanks.

P.S. last attempt to find something serious to power the SA-36A pro

New Original Genuine OEM Lenovo IdeaPad 20V 8.5A 170W AC Adapter
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261856824499

i hope the noise will be low ... it looks robust

Last edited:
Just picked up one of these http://www.ebay.com/itm/291074063041 and I'm quite happy with it's performance. Regardless of specs I think it sounds quite nice for the application I'm using it for (near-field desktop listening). I'm going to give it a shot in the main rig on a pair of Epos Elan 15 speakers. It's kinda ridiculous that for ~135 shipped you can have this type of sound. The build quality seems fine but what I'm most impressed with is that the power supply is actually about 2x the size of the amp itself. And as you can see from the listing, the power supply seems to be equally well built and even aluminum shielded!

One thing I noticed when compared to my Lepai which uses the Tripath 2020 chip is that this particular amplifier seems to run a bit warm. I can hold my hand on it indefinitely but it is warm. Whereas the various Tripath amps I've used were about room temperature when in-use. Granted this is a bit higher powered than any of my Tripath amps, it seems they've actually used the chassis as the heatsink in this case. While not an issue to me, I do wonder about it's longevity at these temperatures. Channel balance is quite good and I'm very surprised by this as most cheapie Chinese amps I've ordered have had issues with channel imbalance at lower volumes. Being that this is doing office duties channel balance at the lowest volume positions is an absolute must. I'm not disappointed at all with this amp and I'd encourage anyone who's considering one of these TDA7498E amplifiers to give Indeed a shot.

If you can't quit buying them, get me a couple as well ... I know a couple other people could use one too. I'll PM you my address ... <G>

Fleawatt checking in. Thanks for the kind words guys.:beerchug: I just built this amp to bi-amp my Klipsch KLF-30's. Using the passive crossovers. Vertical bi-amping arrangement inside one chassis. Dual power supply or just one with two DC cords as long as it is up to the task. The 3116D2 is indeed sweet on top. My Klipsch are not bashful about letting me know otherwise.

Great little amps!!
Fleawatt, what cases do you use in your amps?
Is that aluminum cases for electronics?

I bought a Lepai 2020A with an upgraded (6A LCD) power supply. I ended up giving it to my brother. A second one went to my BIL. I now have an SMSL SA50 I've been playing with. They (Lepai and SMSL) are a lot of amplifier for the money. At $26 the Lepai is almost a steal.

Does anyone know where i can get a power adapter for the SMSL SA-98E, in the UK. I purchased this amp used without the supply, thinking it wpould be easy to get one. But 36v DC is not as easy as hoped

Matt

I've owned many of these small amps and the best I've encountered is the Volt+ TPA3118. It's from India and comes one way and that's heavily modded. I added an Astron linear regulated psu which will improve the performance of any of these amps vs a cheap SMPS.

PA250011.jpg

https://allo.com/sparky/volt-plus-amp.html

Back
Top Bottom